Question about Surefire G2

ysr_racer

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire G2 (see below) that I can't get to work. I pulled the batteries and they're putting out a total of 5.5 volts.

I have continuity on the blub from the outer spring to the inner spring. I even ordered a new bulb and it still won't light.

I haven't tried new batteries, but isn't 5.5v enough?

Any ideas?

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.5 volts (especially under load) usually won't fire up an incan SF. When your batteries quit working in your incans, save them for you LED's (make sure you keep the batteries together, or use them in a 1 cell light only). SF Primaries measure in at 3.25 fresh. They stop powering incans at roughly 2.8'ish. So, measure the cells individually, if you want, but, yeah, they are pretty much done for an incan light. Either grab an LED that takes CR123's or get an LED drop-in for your G2. Oh, and welcome to CPF!

Daekar

Enlightened
It sounds like there is a continuity problem in the tailcap or from the bulb to the conductive sleeve in the body. I would check those next, starting with the cap.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !!!

You ordered a new bulb but didn't check if it would work with another (fresh) set of batteries ???

CR123's are depleted if they are reading 2.8V, as AOW suggested...

ysr_racer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'm a shotgun guy, not a flashlight guy :)

I dropped it and it stopped working (over a year ago) so I thought it was the bulb. Just the other day I ordered a cheap bulb off of ebay for a few bucks. When I put it in, it still didn't work, that's when I broke out the multi meter.

As I said, I have good continuity all the way around, but no light :(

Here's my shotgun website: http://www.ysr-racer.com/

Thanks, Brad

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean all the contacts and replace the batteries as suggested by AOW. After installing new batteries bridge the end of the tube with the end of the batteries and the bulb should light. If not.... look at contacts forward. If it lights.... try the switch again.

The metal liner conducts electricity from one end to the other. The point where the tailcap touches the tube is a contact. The other end is also a contact where it touches the larger spring. The smaller spring is a contact and so is the tip of each battery. Clean everything.

Enjoy your flashlight! :)

Last edited:

ysr_racer

Newly Enlightened
Here's the final outcome. When I dropped it a few years ago, I broke the bulb. But when I put a new bulb in (a few years later) it didn't work, so out came the multi meter.

What I didn't know was the batteries had gone dead in the 2 years, so it needed new batteries as well as a new bulb.

So $21 later ($16 for the batteries, $5 for the bulb) I've got a working flashlight that I originally paid $25 for.

Thank you for all you help, but I'm back to the shotgun forums :)