2 questions about the 4Sevens Quark "X" AA² Tactical

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
What are my best battery options for this light 2x14500 or something better?

How do you guys like this light overall? opinions please :)

thanks!
-Adam

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe 2 14500s will smoke the circuit. What do the specs say for max voltage?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 Eneloops or 2 Energizer L91 batteries would work better than 2 alkaline batteries.

2x14500 would be 6 volts and would blow the electronics on the head. Head is only rated for 0.9 to 4.2 volts.

Last edited:

Panoptic

Newly Enlightened
i bought the AA-body and running 1x14500 in it. crazy bright and good runtimes.

most Quark X users report a greenish tint (or very greenish tint like mine) on all modes. buy a NeutralWhite version if you can!!!

I've got a NW Quark X 123^2 and it's more warm than neutral. No green tint to speak of, though!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need the high voltage head to run 2 Li-ions, that would be the Quark X 123^2. 14500s are better than the 16340s, so legoing a AA^2 body would work too.

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
Okay so if I just use regular old copper-tops I should be good I guess, too bad about the no rechargables though...

Does it have a momentary on for tactical use?

Gryffin

Enlightened
What are my best battery options for this light 2x14500 or something better?

As everybody else has already mentioned, you can't do that. 2xAA Eneloops work quite well. But really, the best way to run it IMHO is with the 1xAA body and a 14500. A little brighter than the 2xEneloop config, and even if you find yourself with a depleted 14500, it runs pretty well on a single AA alkaline or Eneloop. Not near as much output as the high-power configs, but all modes work, and are usefully bright.

How do you guys like this light overall? opinions please

One of my favorite 1xAA lights, since I more often want flood in that size light, which is a good thing because these small XM-L lights don't throw worth a darn. I have an original Quark AA² Tactical R2 that out-throws it handily, and a $22 Balder SE-1 in R5 that out-throws 'em both.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... too bad about the no rechargables though...

Does it have a momentary on for tactical use?

2 NiMh Rechargeables are fine.... 2 Li-ions are not in that light.

Yes the tactical has a momemtary switch.

I have both the regular an tactical. I prefer the regular since I'm always trying to use the lowest lumen level for a given task. The tactical locks into two modes, until you take the time to reprogram it.

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
I see these Oneloops in costco all the time, are they really worth it?

Willie

Newly Enlightened
IIRC using the high voltage head with Li-ion is better than low voltage head with same Li-ion.