I'm going to power this bulb with one 18650:

ThruNite Cree XM-L 3 mode drop-in for SureFire and others 2.7 - 4.2 Volts

Which 18650 do you recommend of these 4:

AW 18650 Protected 2200 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
AW 18650 Protected 2600 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
AW 18650 Protected 2900 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
or
AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

I don't really understand the amperage thing yet. But I want to buy the best battery for this application. I'm assuming that when I get an extender tube some day, I will need 18650's of the SAME amperage, too, correct?

Thanks as always guys!!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
3100mAh is the latest Panasonic cell with slightly lower internal resistance compared to 2900mAh, for example, and by their claims, keeps more capacity over time during recharging cycles...

Also has few other things they did to make it better but I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter to understand/remember it...

Danielight

Enlightened
I don't own any AW cells, but I understand they are very good. I do own an EagleTac 3100 mAh and an Orbtronic 3100 mAh (both protected Panasonic batteries). I just purchased the Orbtronic cell for $12.99, free s/h. It's nice to have a few purchase options. :)

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
[...]
I'm assuming that when I get an extender tube some day, I will need 18650's of the SAME amperage, too, correct?
Well since this drop in can only handle 4.2 V which is what ONE 18650 battery provides you can not use two of them with this drop in. Otherwise you're correct, don't combine two batteries of different capacity. But you shouldn't either combine two batteries of different age. So to avoid problem if you get an extension tube and want to use two 18650 in series you should actually get two fresh cells of the same type.

Jonas

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use AW 3100, Redilast, and Callie's Kustom 18650s. Can't go wrong with any of them. Do not use 2 of them for that LED! Too many volts!

Norseman2

Newly Enlightened
Yeah didn't mean to confuse the number of batteries. When I get around to adding an extension tube I'm going to get a new light too.

Thanks again guys!

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hi Norseman2, welcome to the club. Look up and search IMR or Lithium Manganese 18650s. Something to consider/ponder. That's all I use now. AW IMR 18650s to be exact...
I'm going to power this bulb with one 18650:

Which 18650 do you recommend of these 4:

AW 18650 Protected 2200 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
AW 18650 Protected 2600 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
AW 18650 Protected 2900 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery
or
AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

I don't really understand the amperage thing yet. But I want to buy the best battery for this application. I'm assuming that when I get an extender tube some day, I will need 18650's of the SAME amperage, too, correct?

Thanks as always guys!!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Norseman2, welcome to the club. Look up and search IMR or Lithium Manganese 18650s. Something to consider/ponder. That's all I use now. AW IMR 18650s to be exact...

IMR are not protected. I don't see why using those in a single cell setup, especially on a regulated dropin... They might be safer than li-ion but there is always a risk of overdischarge. That dropin does not have an overdischarge protection.

In my opinion, Norseman2 should stick to regular li-ion...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
IMR are not protected. I don't see why using those in a single cell setup, especially on a regulated dropin... They might be safer than li-ion but there is always a risk of overdischarge. That dropin does not have an overdischarge protection.

Everything's a trade off. I've seen more failures with protected cells, where the PCB breaks (from drops) or just stops working. Otoh, imrs do can be [slowely] killed from over discharge (when not recharged right away).

The only certainty is a second light, ready to go.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Everything's a trade off. I've seen more failures with protected cells, where the PCB breaks (from drops) or just stops working. Otoh, imrs do can be [slowly] killed from over discharge (when not recharged right away).

The only certainty is a second light, ready to go.