Custom MiniMag for Father-in-Law

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two years ago I gave my father-in-law a stock black MiniMag with a K2 TerraLux drop-in. He has been happy with the light, and uses it frequently. This visit, my wife asked if I had a flashlight that we could bring him as a gift. I didn't have anything ready, but jumped at the opportunity to build a light engine and do some lathe work. It took a few hours in the garage last night and this morning, but I have made him a light that he is sure to enjoy.

The host began as a stock black MiniMag, just like the original that I gave him. It has a BadBoy pill with a U2 XM-L, 2T tint. The lathe work was my favorite part of the entire project. I did the grooving with my Mesa Tool holder and full radius grooving insert. What a difference a quality cutting tool makes! I cut 6 grooves in the head, and 7 in the body. The grooves in the body cleaned up the areas where the knurling meets the smooth sections. I added a mineral glass lens, TerraLux reflector and Kroll tailcap switch to complete the light. I think that my father-in-law will be happy with the results. I am, and wanted to share with everyone.

mma.jpg

mmb.jpg

mmc.jpg

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great looking light, I'm sure he will love it.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great looking light, I'm sure he will love it.

If he is not careful, he'll become a flashaholic. :laughing:

The next light that he gets will likely be a cut down 1AA MiniMag, or a pocket rocket CR123 light that has had an emitter (and possibly a driver) upgrade.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he is not careful, he'll become a flashaholic. :laughing:

The next light that he gets will likely be a cut down 1AA MiniMag, or a pocket rocket CR123 light that has had an emitter (and possibly a driver) upgrade.

You Sir, are an enabler...:devil:

PhatPhil

Newly Enlightened
Nice :)

Would be interested to know where you got the XML pill from?