Thread: budget 18650 throwers

Default budget 18650 throwers

Hi everybody, I have been doing research on the forums for about a year now, but this is my first post. I'm looking to buy a 18650/2 cr123a reflector-based thrower for $50 or less. My only real requirement is that it have a forward clicky and 1 or 2 medium/low modes. One light I am leaning towards is the MG P-Rocket XP-G R5 with a smooth reflector, but I can't seem to find any detailed reviews, lux measurements, or OTF lumen specs for it. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: budget 18650 throwers

Welcome to CPF. On the subject of throwers you'll get all sorts of suggestions. The major item to consider is the emitter. The most popular emitter at the moment is the Cree XM-L, which has tons of output but the large die size [the size of the actual LED emitter surface] means it doesnt project a small/tight beam compared to the Cree XP-G/E/C emitter family or the nearly undisputed throw-king the Cree XR-E. Do a search for "thrower" on CPF and you'll find plenty of suggestions and ideas.
    ^G When I reply, threads die....

Also, be sure to check out this link removed. see red banner at top of page. at Shining Beam. Those of us who have it agree it's a great thrower for the money.
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 05-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Flashaholic*

I have the MG P-Rocket XML T5...The light is pretty good but if you're looking for thrower, don't go there. You need a SMO reflector, not a OP. If any, I'd look into something with a HUGE head and a relatively smaller die like the XR-E R2 or Q5.

If you're into getting more versatility, look into an XML light with a giant SMO reflector. The Crelant 7G5 is $87USD and a huge budget thrower compared to the more expensive thrower.

The 7G5 will throw really well out to and beyond 400 yards. It runs on 2x 18650 but can be st to run on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123A.
    It really is a great lite for the price.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    The 7G5 will throw really well out to and beyond 400 yards. It runs on 2x 18650 but can be st to run on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123A.
    It really is a great lite for the price.
    I shot some beam shots of the Crelant 7G5 V2 the other night:

Crelant 7G5 V2 (Stock/Non-Aspheric) at ~ 400+ Yards

Lambda Light Varapower Turbo V2, De-Domed at ~ 400+ Yards

Note the light on the round tree at that range...and how the Crelant lights it up better than the $300+ VPT, De-domed light could.

There'll be no more talk of this Crelant 7G5 V2 - with beam shots at that!

I'm trying real hard not to add any more lights to my Wishlist bookmark folder, especially the "Top Choices" sub-folder!

Pardon me while I drool.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

Quote Originally Posted by zenbeam View Post
    There'll be no more talk of this Crelant 7G5 V2 - with beam shots at that!

I'm trying real hard not to add any more lights to my Wishlist bookmark folder, especially the "Top Choices" sub-folder!

Pardon me while I drool.
    LOL

I might have to De-dome it to make it even more throwy....

Now, I might need to include a drool bucket mod for you though....

for $28 the Romisen RC - T601 U2 is a steal. single 18650, only two modes but throws better than (or a good as ) Fenix TK35

Quote Originally Posted by walterr839 View Post
    for $28 the Romisen RC - T601 U2 is a steal. single 18650, only two modes but throws better than (or a good as ) Fenix TK35
    Quite a few folks have talked about this light here at CPF. It is on my wishlist. But I am going to go for a more expensive thrower and then this. I have one small Romisen and gave another to my step kid - and I think both of them are of very good quality for a budget light. Much better than anything you can buy at a brick and mortar store in the same price range.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went with the P-rocket xpg r5. The Romisen RC was tempting but I don't have the money right now to buy 18650s + a charger. I might have to get one of those Crelant 7G5 V2s when I save some more money. Those beamshots were awsome TEEJ.