budget 18650 throwers

Lumens_kid3331

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, I have been doing research on the forums for about a year now, but this is my first post. I'm looking to buy a 18650/2 cr123a reflector-based thrower for $50 or less. My only real requirement is that it have a forward clicky and 1 or 2 medium/low modes. One light I am leaning towards is the MG P-Rocket XP-G R5 with a smooth reflector, but I can't seem to find any detailed reviews, lux measurements, or OTF lumen specs for it. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. On the subject of throwers you'll get all sorts of suggestions. The major item to consider is the emitter. The most popular emitter at the moment is the Cree XM-L, which has tons of output but the large die size [the size of the actual LED emitter surface] means it doesnt project a small/tight beam compared to the Cree XP-G/E/C emitter family or the nearly undisputed throw-king the Cree XR-E. Do a search for "thrower" on CPF and you'll find plenty of suggestions and ideas.

Danielight

Enlightened
Also, be sure to check out this link removed. see red banner at top of page. at Shining Beam. Those of us who have it agree it's a great thrower for the money. :twothumbs

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiresius

Enlightened
I have the MG P-Rocket XML T5...The light is pretty good but if you're looking for thrower, don't go there. You need a SMO reflector, not a OP. If any, I'd look into something with a HUGE head and a relatively smaller die like the XR-E R2 or Q5.

If you're into getting more versatility, look into an XML light with a giant SMO reflector. The Crelant 7G5 is $87USD and a huge budget thrower compared to the more expensive thrower.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7G5 will throw really well out to and beyond 400 yards. It runs on 2x 18650 but can be st to run on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123A.
It really is a great lite for the price.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 7G5 will throw really well out to and beyond 400 yards. It runs on 2x 18650 but can be st to run on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123A.
It really is a great lite for the price.

I shot some beam shots of the Crelant 7G5 V2 the other night:

7005273080_d95950cac8_c.jpg

Crelant 7G5 V2 (Stock/Non-Aspheric) at ~ 400+ Yards

7151338849_509c58dcb2_c.jpg

Lambda Light Varapower Turbo V2, De-Domed at ~ 400+ Yards

Note the light on the round tree at that range...and how the Crelant lights it up better than the $300+ VPT, De-domed light could.

:D

zenbeam

Enlightened
There'll be no more talk of this Crelant 7G5 V2 - with beam shots at that!

I'm trying real hard not to add any more lights to my Wishlist bookmark folder, especially the "Top Choices" sub-folder!

Pardon me while I drool.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There'll be no more talk of this Crelant 7G5 V2 - with beam shots at that!

I'm trying real hard not to add any more lights to my Wishlist bookmark folder, especially the "Top Choices" sub-folder!

Pardon me while I drool.

LOL

I might have to De-dome it to make it even more throwy....

Now, I might need to include a drool bucket mod for you though....

walterr839

Enlightened
for $28 the Romisen RC - T601 U2 is a steal. single 18650, only two modes but throws better than (or a good as ) Fenix TK35

zenbeam

Enlightened
for $28 the Romisen RC - T601 U2 is a steal. single 18650, only two modes but throws better than (or a good as ) Fenix TK35

Quite a few folks have talked about this light here at CPF. It is on my wishlist. But I am going to go for a more expensive thrower and then this. I have one small Romisen and gave another to my step kid - and I think both of them are of very good quality for a budget light. Much better than anything you can buy at a brick and mortar store in the same price range.

Lumens_kid3331

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went with the P-rocket xpg r5. The Romisen RC was tempting but I don't have the money right now to buy 18650s + a charger. I might have to get one of those Crelant 7G5 V2s when I save some more money. Those beamshots were awsome TEEJ.