Black Moon LTD

Thread: New Lumapower EDC Series

Default New Lumapower EDC Series

I recently received samples of Lumapower's new EDC series for review, and it's going to take me a little time to review all of them, so I thought I'd go ahead and toss out some preview pictures!

Also, if anyone has any questions about these, feel free to ask here and I can be sure to cover it in the reviews.

LM21

LM31

LM32

LM33

Family Photos

Last edited by Bigmac_79; 06-10-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Default Re: New Lumapower EDC Series

Is the switch of your LM21 rather stiff like mine?

Looking forward to the reviews
    "Light up the Darkness"

How's the clip on the aaa?
    How does the click feel, any issues with accidental activation (say, when carried in a back pocket next to a wallet)?
    Looking forward to the review, thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    Can't speak for the OP, but mine is fairly stiff. Since it's pretty exposed, I'd rather it be stiff rather than have it accidentally turn on in my pocket.
    "I'm not afraid of the dark. The dark is afraid of ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by Faynard View Post
    How's the clip on the aaa?
    My clip wasn't very tight. I removed it and gave it a little squeeze with pliers, it's plenty secure now.
    "I'm not afraid of the dark. The dark is afraid of ME!"

ive looked hard at the incendio v3 should pull that trigger soon

I'm really interested in all of these lights, and am looking forward to your reviews. I'd like to know OTF lumens on each of the battery chemistries and overall impression of each switch (is accidental activation an issue at all?) Thanks in advance Bigmac!

A droplet of oil inside the battery tube at the bottom cured my LM21's switch of its unusual stiffness: now it's normal.

nice! the lm21 is the aaa powered one, right? it can do 10440s right?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I can't wait for Bigmac 79 runtime graphics ...
    However LM series - at least LM21 - seems way overrated, according to this review http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/lu...lm21-lm33.html, LM21 puts about 30 lumens on MAX using Ni-MH AAA.
    No surprise why a CPFer noticed that his LM21 is less bright than the MARATAC AAA on HIGH ... I would say considerably less bright !
    The output combined with the stated runtime for LM21 and LM31 were too good to be true.
    Personally I don't mind 30 lumens as well as is nice regulated ... can't wait till I get mine and I hope the clickie won't be too stiffy ! But once you've been spoiled with MICROSTREAM I clickie ... it's hard to be happy with the other AAA clickie lights.
    Last edited by radu1976; 05-13-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    nice! the lm21 is the aaa powered one, right? it can do 10440s right?
    10440's are officially supported. Unfortunately, it looks like AW 10440's will not work in the LM21 (according to the Lumapower release thread over in the Manufacturer Corner).
    Click Here to view my lights

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post
    10440's are officially supported. Unfortunately, it looks like AW 10440's will not work in the LM21 (according to the Lumapower release thread over in the Manufacturer Corner).
    Lumapower's website rates the LM21's output on 10440s at: 12, 220, 350 lumens. Very nice!

Sucks that it won't run on AW 10440s though.

Quote Originally Posted by radu1976 View Post
    I can't wait for Bigmac 79 runtime graphics ...
    However LM series - at least LM21 - seems way overrated, according to this review http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/lu...lm21-lm33.html, LM21 puts about 30 lumens on MAX using Ni-MH AAA.
    No surprise why a CPFer noticed that his LM21 is less bright than the MARATAC AAA on HIGH ... I would say considerably less bright !
    The output combined with the stated runtime for LM21 and LM31 were too good to be true.
    Personally I don't mind 30 lumens as well as is nice regulated ... can't wait till I get mine and I hope the clickie won't be too stiffy ! But once you've been spoiled with MICROSTREAM I clickie ... it's hard to be happy with the other AAA clickie lights.
    30 lumens on high? ouch! Lumapower rates it at 100 lumens on Nimh. Wonder why there's such a huge discrepancy. 30 lumens on high seems awful low for an XPG light.

I don't think Lumapower does ANSI lumens, only emitter lumens.

Still waiting to receive my LM21, I should have it in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by LowFlux; 05-14-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Still waiting to receive my LM21...

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlux View Post
    I don't think Lumapower does ANSI lumens, only emitter lumens.

Still waiting to receive my LM21, I should have it in the next couple of days.
    Even then it sounds like their numbers maybe off. There's no way 70% of the light output should be lost into the emitter and lens with only 30% going out the front.

Just to relieve some speculation, I'll jump in real quick and say this now. I am not confident I have my light box calibrated well enough to give an exact output in lumens, but I will say this: on NiHM, the LM21 high mode is significantly brighter than other lights with a modes around 30 lumens, but still dimmer than those with modes around 100 lumens. So, it's somewhere in between.

Received my LM21 yesterday...a few thoughts:

Fit and finish are perfect.
    Tail clicky is very stiff, as mentioned by others. This makes mode changing a little difficult.
    I haven't yet tried it on a 10440 (going to try adding some solder to the top of my AW) but it's impressively bright on NIMH.*
    Good hot spot (similar to many of my other XPG lights) with reasonable spill...no surprises here with the small reflector.

*this is my first AAA light so I don't really have anything else to compare to.

For a $30 light I think it was money well spent.

As I said above a droplet of slicone oil placed inside the battery tube at the bottom made the operation of my LM21's switch much easier.

Alrighty, I've started the LM21 review. I've just posted the pictures so far, but you can go check them out and keep an eye for the rest of the review soon.

Lumapower EDC LM21

I received the new switches for the LM31, 32, and 33. They appear almost identical, kind of tough to tell them apart without looking closely.

Left: Old, Right: New

Now I can start running tests on these models.

I am happy to see that the LM31 I received yesterday has the new switch.

The LM33 review has begun here:
    Lumapower EDC LM33

As I said above a droplet of slicone oil placed inside the battery tube at the bottom made the operation of my LM21's switch much easier.
    I was just wondering how you got the oil to the bottom of the tube Kilovolt? I was thinking of trying to use an unused plastic spray straw from an aerosol spray can.

Quote Originally Posted by Taschenlampe Dude View Post
    I was just wondering how you got the oil to the bottom of the tube Kilovolt? I was thinking of trying to use an unused plastic spray straw from an aerosol spray can.

I just kept the battery tube in a vertical position and dropped a tiny amount of oil onto the spring. Five minutes later some of it appeared inside the rubber boot.

Funnily when I left the body reversed on a piece of paper for one night no oil came out. There must be a non-return valve ...

Thanks, Kilovolt. Now I just have to locate my silicone oil. I've found my clock oil, light machine oil, etc. but the one I need...

Placed my order for a EDC LM21 last week and can't wait for it to arrive so I can compare it to my beloved Streamlight Microstream and my also soon to arrive Maratac AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrofein View Post
    Placed my order for a EDC LM21 last week and can't wait for it to arrive so I can compare it to my beloved Streamlight Microstream and my also soon to arrive Maratac AAA.

You'll get a nice EDC light good for short range activities but do not expect to use it for illuminating whole soccer fields ...

BTW:

I've got the LM32 review completed!

Flashaholic*

You'll get a nice EDC light good for short range activities but do not expect to use it for illuminating whole soccer fields ...

BTW:
    I think it's dim compared with other aaa lights.. Got annoying slo pwm in lo mode. Super hard clicky. I hate it

Lm21 is nr 3 from the left. Compare it with nr 7 from the left (a dqg with a 25 lumen preon p0 engine.) The lm21 is just as dim. But without the long runtimes... I put a nichita 219 hi cri in my lm21, and hoped i wouldent hate it so mutch. Well it dident work. Still hate it. It's no threadlock in this light, so its extremly easy to swap leds in it. The wires are super thin one core wires. Easy to solder, but dont know how mutch current they can handle. The super thin wires may be one of the reasons why this light wont shine properly.