Lawman vs. UNR Commander...

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
Now that the Lawman is out at 750Lu, other than the +50Lu increase and a bit of size, the only difference I see is the TIR, is this worth holding out for, I really dont understand the differences here other than the better focused beam.There's no way in hell SF is going to ding me for 2 new lights in that price range so its Lawman now or wait for the UNR, what do you guys think, worth holding out?

thanks!
-A

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
50 lumens isn't going to make a difference, so you'll want to consider other criteria.

Do you prefer head or tail switches? How many modes do you need (R1 has high, medium, low, and strobe, whereas the UNR has more modes on the selector ring)?

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
I'm leaning towards the Lawman right now because it's a bit smaller, the modes, etc arent a tremendous concern for me although the ring is nice. My real question is the TIR, is it worth holding out for? Will it make that much of a difference?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good topic. I like to know too.
I have been collecting most of sf's smaller lights. Now I want to go for the bigger and brighter stuff. The Fury P2X is fairly impressive both in total darkness and in urban setting.

I kept wondering what a sf 700-800 lumen beast can do. M3LT, M6LT, UB3T, R1 etc etc.
If the LX2 ultra in 500lumens with tir lense materialize, I will be the first to buy it.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good topic. I like to know too.
I have been collecting most of sf's smaller lights. Now I want to go for the bigger and brighter stuff. The Fury P2X is fairly impressive both in total darkness and in urban setting.

I kept wondering what a sf 700-800 lumen beast can do. M3LT, M6LT, UB3T, R1 etc etc.
If the LX2 ultra in 500lumens with tir lense materialize, I will be the first to buy it.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to say anything about the TIR beam pattern without seeing it, but then, there's also no release date for it yet. From the specs, it's going to have about twice the intensity of the reflector, which means the beam will be more narrow (unlike the R1, which is quite floody).

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have a vacation coming up 6/30 and want the light for then, I guess I'll wait till the last minute and see if the UNR shows, I really would prefer the TIR for its narrower beam. I have plenty of floody high power lights....

=)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want the TIR, then I guess you'll just have to wait for the UNR. ;)

However, since the R1 was just launched, it's going to be at least a couple months before they launch something else...

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
One thing is for sure, if surefire retails the Lawman for $455. The UNR will probably be north of $600. :sick2: Meaning you will probably find it at lapolicegear, ect for around $425-$450. Total guess there though.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, now that I checked the specs, there isn't really a significant difference in beam intensity between the R1 and UNR. It's 16,000cd for the R1 (probably higher on production models, as this spec was for the previous 700-lumen model) and 20,000cd for the UNR, so I think it's probably going to be very similar.

Adam2670

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I saw that also, it almost makes me think they may revisit the UNR and pump it up some, otherwise the products are too similar...

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Redesign is possible, but I think it would be more likely that SF will just drop it altogether.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
As Robin24K has said, the lights are distinctly different with regards to their User Interface, so I doubt they would drop it alltogether. My understanding is that it's going to be the more floody version of the UBR Invictus, so I doubt they will pump it up more, as the Invictus will be pretty much that light if that's what you're after.

If anything, the change I could see them making would be to simply offer the Commander with the same reflector\head as the Lawman.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think that SureFire will see how the R1 sells, and gather some user feedback.

I think the question will more likely be - what more do people need/want from a rechargeable light?

If it is more in the rechargeable body form that the R1 is built from, then perhaps it will be a longer reach (TIR) based bezel [with selector dial] and 4FTC.
Whether it's a 'normal' (like the UNR) or TurboHead bezel (like the UBR) is something I think user requests/feedback/demand may direct.

However, SureFire may determine they should release a 'big gun' rechargeable (like the UDR) next...

Personally, I think a rechargeable showcasing their new 4FTC is a good idea.

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
The lawman is perfect the way it is. As a cop, I dont want the udr type dial or any other things to complicate the light. The flood type beam is what we need. The output is more than bright....compared to my olight m30, the r1 seems twice as bright. Also, the switches on the r1 dont activate too easy, which is good. There doesn't need to be any changes. I hope replacement cells arent too expensive!

Zdenek

Newly Enlightened
SureFire flashlights

I would like to know if someone has an experience with the most powerful flashlights UNR COMMANDER™ and R1 LAWMAN™. Could you share wit them, please? Thx.

tonkem

Enlightened
Re: SureFire flashlights

I would like to know if someone has an experience with the most powerful flashlights UNR COMMANDER™ and R1 LAWMAN™. Could you share wit them, please? Thx.

The M6LT, M3LT and UB3T are all more powerful. The others are too new to know. I know some here have the R1, but the UNR just came out not long ago. Go over to youtube and look at Goingprepared (goinggear.com) reviews of both lights.

Zdenek

Newly Enlightened
Re: SureFire flashlights

The M6LT, M3LT and UB3T are all more powerful. The others are too new to know. I know some here have the R1, but the UNR just came out not long ago. Go over to youtube and look at Goingprepared (goinggear.com) reviews of both lights.

Thank you for the comment. I have inspected the reviews of the flashlights. I am going to go to the Lawman R1. The experiences, as I can read, are positive.
Thx again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The lawman is perfect the way it is. As a cop, I dont want the udr type dial or any other things to complicate the light. The flood type beam is what we need. The output is more than bright....compared to my olight m30, the r1 seems twice as bright. Also, the switches on the r1 dont activate too easy, which is good. There doesn't need to be any changes. I hope replacement cells arent too expensive!

I think the lawmans beam is nice and floody as it should be, and it still has good distance to it anyway. It IS a good LEO light.

I'm not a fan of twisties and rings, but a good ring UI is not too bad, but I can't see using it tactically. I prefer a simple tail on/off for that.