Imalent
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What was the ONE light that got you hooked...

Default Re: What was the ONE light that got you hooked...

First one that got me hooked was the Fenix P3D Q5. After that came a Fenix L2D Q5. Took both on a week long backpacking trip to the High Sierras with my younger brother, who was afraid of the dark at the time. Running these lights all night on low for 6 nights straight, I never changed the batteries once. I have managed to scare away a mountain lion from a campground with the P3D on turbo (on a different trip). These Fenix lights were a huge step up from the 3 watt l.e.d. Minimags.

For me, it's a "picture" of Surefire L6 Porcupine. I never thought a flashlight can be made of that way. The attack bezel, the pineapple shape, the unusual and tough atmosphere it gives attracts me deeply. Then, I started my journey being a flashaholic...

Surefire G2X Tactical I bought a few years ago to mount on my first AR-15 after seeing the quailty and performance of the surefire I was hooked compared to the elcheapo mini mag lites I had in used the past.

Fenix TK11, much smaller and brighter than my old maglites. And able to withstand tons of abuse without breaking. :-)

/N

Flashaholic

Surefire C2. Buying 3 bored C2, dropins, and accessories I spent $600. I was happy with all of that but then I was curious for customs because for the same amount of money I could purchase 0.5, 1, or 2 customs. I've enjoyed all of the lights I've purchase but sell some to avoid extreme hoarding.
    Last edited by bla2000; 05-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Honestly, the hours of researching on this forum got me hooked, but the first real high end flashlight that made me buy others lights was the Fenix TK70! It is just amazing how bright it is compared to the old maglites I used to have.

Flashaholic*

I think it was a black 2AA incan MiniMag.(it's been so many years I can't really remember.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    Honestly, the hours of researching on this forum got me hooked...
    Same here. Just being exposed to the breadth of information on flashlights was enough to get me hooked. My "gateway" light was the Zebralight H51Fw...I use it every day, and it's still my favorite, if not the brightest I own.
    Maratac AAA Cu w/ Nichia 219; Zebralight H51Fw; Surefire C2 w/ Nichia 219 drop-in.
    Tint>Output!

Quote Originally Posted by jw2n View Post
    I had many lights, having started using them in the mid-60s as a boy, but it was my first 6p in the 80s that really got me hooked.
    That's almost *exactly* my story, except that I can date my first 6P to about 1991 (purchased from cutlery shoppe). Still have it, too! Then later an M3.

At some later time I discovered the ARC AAA, and that was my first LED light. Got a second ARC AAA with the green anodizing and better LED. Then got one of the first-gen ARC LS's. Lost the head somewhere, though I still have the 1xAA and 2xAA battery tubes.

After the LS, went back to Surefire for the E1E's. Can't remember when I started getting into Fenix. Then off to Quarks--I still EDC my Quark Titanium with a 14500. And I have probably purchased about 20-25 4Sevens lights of all kinds, many as gifts.

And now I own to Zebralights, and am seriously thinking about the H502....Unbelievable to think it will give me over 200 lumens from a single AA, when 60 lumens from a pair of 123s seemed like magic only 20 years ago.

SF G2 was the first quality light that went on my fire helmet then I bought a SF L2 for EDC
    SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Enlightened

Fenix L1P was the light, however before that just reading ledmuseum and cpf really started it.

Surefire 6P, back in the mid 90's. It was Maglites before that, and the occasional Fulton G.I. crookneck.

Arc6 for me. Beautiful light in person. Fell in love and modded it. That's how much I like it! It's like a miniaturized version of a McLuxIII/HDS hybrid. I had an Ultrafire C3 prior and wasn't impressed (bad connections problems since it was the Al model). But the Arc6 is perfect for me in every way.

Last edited by Torchaddict; 05-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    My Lights: Arc Flashlight Arc6 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336795-Arc6-Upgrades-Mods-Thread!-Post-your-thoughts-and-mods-here!]You do it like this[/url], Ultrafire C3, Nextorch K1

Streamlight TL2 LED.
    LED's impress but Incans satisfy

Flashaholic*

The one light that I had to say really opened my eyes was the HDS U60. At the time that I first saw it on a website, I thought it was ugly. But, after reading about it, I was hooked. So I bought one and that started my descent down the long and dark tunnel of Flahoholism. Luckily, I have many lights to light the way!
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

Surefire 9P with a KT2 Turbo Head. I was so amazed by the throw, had never seen anything like it.

Flashaholic

here I'll just take a picture... Arc LSL-ST #208 with 2xAA adapter, now a collector piece sitting in the living room. Wow I'm getting old. I joined in 2003.

It was a Maglite XL200 for me. It was the first light I had ever owned that put out more than a 3 D-Cell Incan Maglite. Up until then the only LED lights I had see were the ultra-dim gas station ones. I was blown away by the brightness (170 lumens, lol) and the UI (still am too). I had never known that lights had come so far with out costing hundreds of dollars like the Streamlights I had been exposed to.
    "Maybe you should just stick to fire on a stick... it's received excellent reviews here - plus it's a time tested design..."

Fenix E1

1983, it was a 2 C cell Maglight, which i still have. My bro became a flashahilic, but I remained dormant until the beginning of this year! And, flashaholics forgive me, I got a led lenser. But I subsequently seen the light and gave that to my wife! Hehe. Got about 10 lights now and even flirting getting my first mcgizmo!

Trust fire X8 for me. Actually I had couple cheap lights zoomable flood to throw Police x2000 but that was all I know about led at the time until my friend introduced me to this world.

For LED lights it was the Zebralight H50. Here's my first post on CPF:

"This forum convinced me to get the H50 when it came out, and now the 501.
    Had to finally register to let you all know how grateful I am for the time you put into reviews and pics and everything else. You folks are great!"

Between the review from the user who was doing medical work in South America and all of the other posters' comments I had to have one. Sold my original to get a neutral version, still have the H50, H51, H501, etc..
    My milestone on handhelds was getting up the nerve to buy an Ra Twisty. Wait,... this thread made me realize that I always come back to Zebralight and Ra/HDS... those 2 brands make up the bulk of my lights.

For lights in general it would have to be the 'ol Maglite 2xAA Minimag. I was in my teens when that wonderful light came out (~30 years ago), and it was a great lighting solution for the time. I've had many.

Flashaholic*

+1 HDS and Zebralight for me...plus a Surefire C2 and G2 (with Malkoff Drop-ins for good measure!

Still on my keychain after six years.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Let's go back to Christmas of 1988. I was about to turn two years old that following January. My aunt and uncle gave me one of those Playschool lanterns that had the red/green lens filters. Those were back in the days when they made quality (mostly not Chinese) made toys for children. There were other flashlights too. There is one I posted on here a while back of me sitting on my paw paw's lap staring into his Eveready Commander Lantern. November 1987 was written on the back of it. My parents also had some kind of yellow and white 6 volt lantern with a white knob you would turn to switch it on/off. Has anyone had or seen such a light? I saw one once again about 3 years ago in a hardware store but it wasn't for sale (only for store use near the cash register.) No idea what the brand was. My mom and dad also had a Bright Star 575, that was known as "the black flashlight" which they kept in the utility room. Flashlights are burned in my mind and have been since infancy.
    "When egrets take flight, foul weather in sight."

Surefire 6P

SureFire G2, back around 2003. I still have it, equiped with a McClicky and KX4. McClickys won't fit into the early tail caps, so I had to replace it a LOTC. This means that the body is the only original part, but it has a lot of sentimental value. My wife uses it as her nightstand light.
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

Surefire G2 incan started it but the Olight M20 pushed me over the deep end. now i'm looking for that light that'll put a stop to the maddness.
    The lights we own end up owning us...
    Best brands: UltraFire, SacredFire, TrustFire, SpiderFire, StarFire, SuperFire, Yes-Pres-Obama-We-would-love-to-refinance-your-country-Fire & Surefire...in that order. But NOT UniqueFire. They can suck it!

I got hooked on a Surefire M900V

Mac's Ti light. Simply but useful. Like the neat look and finish.