18650 4800mAh

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
I just bought on ebay some GTL 18650 rated 4800mAh... Seems legit?
They're listed 4x 18650 3.7V 4800mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery GTL Blue and I paid 12.50 $.
Do you think they're overrated?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ugh, no, it sounds like 2X not legit. There are a few 3000+mAh 18650's out there, but nothing approaching 4000mAh's.

Bill

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should rewrap some junk cells of mine with my own labels. What's a good exaggerated capacity. Don't wanna seem too unbelievable but now I'm competing with 4800 mah. Hmm does 6500 mah sound reasonable? How about 9253 mah? The extra precision gives it extra credibility.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"How about 9253 mah? The extra precision gives it extra credibility."

Yep, it sounds like you actually tested it when you put it like that. :thumbsup:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I instantly regret buying those....
Can someone suggest me 18650 and 16340 batteries with the best capacity?

AW or Redilast protected 3100mAh 18650's are the best IMO. They both use the NCR panasonic cell. It's pretty close to the rated capacity and maintains decent capacity at higher loads, unlike some of the cheaper cells.
The AW and Redilast are essentially the same thing, but (from what I've read) the Redilast cell has a slightly more effective low voltage cutoff circuit but the AW has slightly smaller dimensions. This is important as the NCR 3100 cell is a tiny bit larger than other 18650's so can cause fitting issues in certain lights.

None of the 16340 cells are very good in terms of capacity. They all tend to be overrated.

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
ok thanx everbody!! Your help is appreciated. I'll probably buy some Redilast I found on ebay.
Maybe 16340 have bad capacity, but can someone suggest me which are better?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the amp draw you need. For anything higher than about 1.5 amp I would go with the AW IMR16340 cells (unprotected so be careful not to over discharge them.) For draws lower than that I would go with AW, Eagletac, or Keeppower RCRs. Of these I would have the most confidence in the AWs.

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the amp draw you need. For anything higher than about 1.5 amp I would go with the AW IMR16340 cells (unprotected so be careful not to over discharge them.) For draws lower than that I would go with AW, Eagletac, or Keeppower RCRs. Of these I would have the most confidence in the AWs.
AW IMR16430 is a NiMN Lithium battery, it's better than Li-on? (I don't know much about this)
also, it's rated 550mAh, wouldn't be better any 880mAh cells?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Callies Kustoms 18650 is also very good, and is less expensive as well, plus ships from CONUS, etc. Redilasts are delivered super quick too.

Take the mAh ratings with a grain of salt for the off brands in ALL sizes, and for the 16340's in general...but the good 16340's might be at least statistically similar to their rated capacities....whereas the "Elevendy Million mAh" cell might not even work.

:D

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much any decent quality 3100mah rated cell will have the same Panasonic NCR18650a underneath, and most have the same PCM circuit attached too and are assembled in the same factory. I think Orbtronic 3100, Callies Kustoms 3100 and and the intl-outdoor 'Protected Panasonic 3100mah' are some of the best value at the moment, they are the same as the Redilasts, but cheaper.

As far as I know, there are no RCR123 cells with a capacity above 650mah at the moment, AW li-ion are probably the highest capacity currently but there isn't much difference between traditional Li-Co and IMR capacities at smaller cell sizes like CR123.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think those 4800mAh ones are bad, search ebay for '5000mAh 18650'. Item number 260858729769 for example. Terrible!

If you search for 6000mAh, you might spot an auction that comes with 2x 3000mAh 'Fire Worm' batteries. What the hell is it with these brand names and the obsession with Fire?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Pretty much any decent quality 3100mah rated cell will have the same Panasonic NCR18650a underneath, and most have the same PCM circuit attached too and are assembled in the same factory. I think Orbtronic 3100, Callies Kustoms 3100 and and the intl-outdoor 'Protected Panasonic 3100mah' are some of the best value at the moment, they are the same as the Redilasts, but cheaper.

As far as I know, there are no RCR123 cells with a capacity above 650mah at the moment, AW li-ion are probably the highest capacity currently but there isn't much difference between traditional Li-Co and IMR capacities at smaller cell sizes like CR123.
Are the protection circuits all the same?

Norm

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW IMR16430 is a NiMN Lithium battery, it's better than Li-on? (I don't know much about this)
also, it's rated 550mAh, wouldn't be better any 880mAh cells?

Lithium Ion is a broad term that covers many chemistries, using lithium and being rechargable is the common ground. It includes Lithium Polymer, LiMn IMR, Lithium Nickelsomethingorother INR, LiFePO4 (a123 and others), Lithium Cobalt (the most common), and a few others.

In smaller sizes the old lithium cobalt batteries tend to suffer from low current delivery and reduced capacity. Most of them have labels that overstate their capacity by a large amount. The IMR 16340's being a high current chemistry actually outperform the Lithium cobalt cells in that size range in almost all applications. Maybe if they ever start using that new 16650 chemistry/construction we'll start to see better 16340's than the IMR ones.

emmanhello

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw that NiMH have better discharge capacity than li-on.
But the LiPo battery are the best in discharge capacity. They have lower mah capacity, but I have seen a LiPo RC battery that have a max burst discharge of 1000 amp at 3.7v (theoretically)
That's pretty damn huge quantity of power for a single cell!!!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH = Nickel Metal Hydride, completely different from LiMn Lithium ion batteries. Lipos do indeed have some impressive performance in RC and other high drain applications.

Last edited: