Single AA with moonlight / firefly mode?

Johnnyt

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just bought my first light, a D25lc2 clicky which is great! Now looking for a lesser companion in form of single AA. Power is not an issue but would like at least 3 brightness modes where the low is pretty low. Do not need any flashing modes. Hoping to spend less than 40. Any ideas?

Thanks
John

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Quarks, Zebralight H series and Thrunite's will have 1xAA sub-lumen modes with long runtimes. Sunwayman and Jetbeams run sub-lumen on their infinitely variable ring lights but, the low lumen run times get wiped out by the variable ring electrical "overhead". Also, the new D25A clicky has a sub-lumen level.

You might be able in your near your price range with the Quark (on rebranding sales), the Thrunite and the Eagletac.

Johnnyt

Newly Enlightened
Hmm those I bet are great but may push my budget for a AA light. Would anyone recommend the xeno e03 or balder bd1? Both are about 35 dollars and seem to have 3 modes...

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Does it absolutely have to be AA? PALights use a single 9V battery, have a moonlight mode that never switches off. I like the "selector", but others on here like the "survival". It is small, compact and well within your price range.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
you can get a quark AA for $43 .. a lot of modes and they do have their 10 year warranty. Would the $8 be worth the warranty? Can't say anything about the xeno/balder cuz I've never had those though!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm those I bet are great but may push my budget for a AA light. Would anyone recommend the xeno e03 or balder bd1? Both are about 35 dollars and seem to have 3 modes...

Those light's lows (20 and 6 lms) don't look very low to me... thought you wanted moonlight/firefly? That feature tends to make lights a bit more expensive as it requires a buck driver.

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
My Sunwayman V10A has the lowest "moonlight" I have seen. The only other light I own with a low that even comes close is the 4Sevens Quark AA2, but it takes two AAs.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Quark AA Pro/Tactical

Small, simple, rugged and reliable.

If you can, go for the Quark "X" AA², which has XM-L, and get the 1xAA and/or 1xCR123A body. Running it on 1xAA will get you a good amount of output for a light of its class. If you need more power, feed it 1x14500, 1xCR123A or 1xRCR123A and it will crank out just as much output as your D25LC2.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on feeding mine some 14505 non rechargable lithium cells.. Sold by batteryjunction, looks to give the same output as the AA2 in the AA body!!
+1 for Quark AA Pro/Tactical

Small, simple, rugged and reliable.

If you can, go for the Quark "X" AA², which has XM-L, and get the 1xAA and/or 1xCR123A body. Running it on 1xAA will get you a good amount of output for a light of its class. If you need more power, feed it 1x14500, 1xCR123A or 1xRCR123A and it will crank out just as much output as your D25LC2.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xAA = 3V
1x14500 = 3.7V

According to Got Lumens? tailcap measurements, Quark X low-voltage head (0.9~4.2V) draws about 2.28A at the tailcap using 2xAA. That means that the emitter is putting out ~740 lumens, which translates to around ~590 lumens OTF, before the thermal ramp-down. Selfbuilt tested the X AA² at 400 ANSI lumens.

Needless to say, it's the most versatile light I've ever used.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

The ideal light for your needs ......... per your OP .

ThruNite T10 *AA* (Twistie)w/FireFly .09lum>Low 9lum>Hi 115lum//and Memory

~

Johnnyt

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in the thrunite but I can't seem to find it available. Do you know if any of the cpf dealers have it stocked?

Danielight

Enlightened
I am interested in the thrunite but I can't seem to find it available. Do you know if any of the cpf dealers have it stocked?
Looks like Craig at Illumination Supply has some ... check them out at CPF Marketplace.

davecroft

Enlightened
The Olight i2 is pretty cheap, might be worth a look? Low is only 2.5 lumens and it has a great clip!

eddie van

Newly Enlightened

I just received the Lighthound AA "tactical" (the XPG RS edition), which (as other CPF-ers have stated) is a Balder BD1 OEM. I am very impressed with it. Three modes, with a low mode whihc is very close to my AA Quark (4sevens). It appears to be well built. The only downside is the pant clip is not secured to the light very well, but it does work...

Johnnyt

Newly Enlightened
I think I found what I want. Klarus st10. Out I stock at goinggear though. Anyone know if it is available elsewhere?