How important is being able to tail stand in a light to you?

SuperBro

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am considering going on the very, very long waiting list for my first HDS systems light and wanted to get some opinions on this issue. I am going with the tactical configuration just because I EDC an all black Mini Griptilian and thought it would be nice to match the all black bezel with it.

The only thing I am really deciding on is whether or not to go with the flush button or the raised one. I know that the flush one can tail stand but might be harder to activate in a stressed situation, or if you are wearing gloves in the winter. The raised button helps by being easier to activate yet I've been hearing that it doesn't ride as well clip-less in the pocket and it cannot stand on it's butt.

What are your thoughts? Am I being to picky? I can count maybe twice in the past year that I've had to actuall tail stand my Novatac Storm but it was pretty useful in lighting up a room.

Thanks

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I you don't really tailstand your lights on a regular basis, you should definitely think about your preferred ergonomics first. Do you prefer a flush or raised button? If you're stuck you can always use a glass to tailstand your light.

You'll find a loooot of people here who swear by ceiling bounce only. I personally don't. If a light can tailstand then it's a plus. If not, wall bounce does a fine job. I even lay my lights on their side on purpose when the spill gets in my eyes too much. I do have to admit I'm glad my V11R can tailstand, but the day I buy an HDS this definitely won't be a factor for me.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Get whichever tailcap you prefer to use, putting aside tailstanding considerations. Then buy a Surefire F04 diffuser. It works very well with the HDS lights. If you put it on the back of the light, you get a nice tailstanding light, very stable, and with the raised button you can actually click the button with the diffuser over it. You can't click with the flush button if the diffuser is on.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a higher than average number of power outages where I live so I really like tail standers. I had two lights built just for power failures that tailstand and will operate 24/7 for a week on one D cell.

I also have arthritis so tailcap/tactical switches are painful for me to operate.

Kirkgar

Newly Enlightened
Very important for me, personally. I never really had that capability until my Quark came along and I use it in that capacity WAY more than I had anticipated. However, I now have 2 EDCs as my preferred tac light is not stand-friendly so each tool serves its specific role best.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
Tailstand is good in an edc light I think. I use that feature a lot.

Clickies that protrude are more prone to die when the light is dropped.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You simply weight the importance of being able to tail stand the lamp vs what happens if you can't activate the tail in the winter scenario you mentioned.

If you decide that the use in a stressed situation has priority over the convenience of tail standing, you get the raised option. Otherwise, get the flush option.

If dropping the light straight down on its tail is a concern...well, consider that in light of the rest above too.

I tail stand floody lights sometimes, in the traditional manner, or by laying them on their side, or, using the clip or lanyard to hang/support them aimed at something useful, etc.

Consider trying the lights out, and comparing the raised to flush versions...and seeing if the ergonomics of concern are actually a real issue for you, or just an issue you worried about.

thaugen

Enlightened
You can order a flush tailcap or a raised tailcap from Oveready for $19. I have both and switch them around depending on my mood/needs.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstanding is a must for me - it's the basis for my lantern mode, which I'll use for hours straight camping, or as a bedside night light, on moonlight or 3 lumens.... don't need a ceiling either.

6523054055_1f1fbd25db.jpg

jupello

Enlightened
It's a nice extra feature, but pretty much last in priority compared to the other features I want.
I would not sacrifice forward clicky, or any other features for it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think if you find yourself tail standing a light too often you may look into something for just that specific purpose alone. An EDC should not be an everything like but the one most useful and convenient for most things you do constantly everywhere you go. I took a plastic cap for PVC pipe and used poster putty to attach it to my desktop and can drop a light in the socket for tailstanding instantly and not have a worry in the world of knocking it over. If you have a light with the right rear clicky (tactical) you may even be able to push the light down in the socket to change modes.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lots of flashlights. I keep several tail-standers around the house just for power outages (just had one today). I prefer the exposed switch because it's easier to use. Just pick what you like. If you need to, you can lean the light against a lamp or something and you get almost the same effect. Today I put a large spring clamp on a SF G2 with McClicky and it worked fine. This only works if you have large spring clips laying around the house!

OCD

Enlightened
You can order a flush tailcap or a raised tailcap from Oveready for $19. I have both and switch them around depending on my mood/needs.
+1

Exactly what I did. I ordered mine directly from Henry as an Executive because I wanted a silver bezel so it came with a flush button. I also ordered a raised button and that it what has been on it 99.9% of the time I have owned it.

JNieporte

Enlightened
I don't care if the light can tailstand or not. Like somebody else said, if I need it to tailstand, I can always find a glass to use.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I like to have lights that can tailstand in the nightstand and around the house.
I have 3 surefires, a Quark, and a couple others with protruding buttons - because sometimes I just want the security of easy activation.
I did order the "executive" Rotary - not because it can tailstand, but because I like the std UI better, and feel the flush button is less likely to activate in my pocket.
I haven't receied it yet, so I can't tell you if I made the right choice. But I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Richub

Enlightened
Tailstanding is important enough for me to always carry at least one light that can tailstand. Of my EDC lights, both the E05 and PD31 can tailstand.

My TK41 & TK45 are my tailstanding powerhouses. ;) I actually use that TK41 quite a lot in the shower. I'm having trouble finding a CFL that won't die from the moisture withing a month. So my TK41 is my main shower light now. ;)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Tailstanding is entirely unimportant to me. I do have lights that can do it, so maybe that's why it's not a high priority, but I have never actually found myself in a situation where I needed a tailstander.

Samy

Enlightened
My tail standing use in an average day:

1) use if at a customers place after dark and they have a terrible or lack of porch light and I need to use both hands
2) when getting in and out of bed I tail stand a light on the bedside table on low so as not to disturb my wife
3) midnight kitchen runs to get a glass of water or snacks
4) toilet/bathroom, using the house lights are too bright when you have dark adapted eyes
5) power failures!

I tail stand my TK41, Sc600, V10A, SC51, St20 etc

Cheers

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I have a Surefire Z44 with one of them Moddoo Delrin shrouds, a Z59 with a clipped Delrin shroud as well as my MD MD2 with a clipped Delrin shroud. Besides the MD2 I can always swap the tailcaps with other non-tailstanding tailcaps depending on my needs. Of course you also get limited on what holsters you can use as the tail end will become bulky, so my tailstanding lights all have clips for EDCing. In the OPs situation getting an additional flush tailcap is a good idea as well as using the Surefire filter/diffuser.

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
I think an EDC light should be able to tailstand. For area illumination I prefer the ceiling bounce, and a glass isn't always available (seriously!). Yeah, you can get creative with improvised mounting/holding methods, but that's time you could be using to do whatever it is you need to do.