5.6a driver?

51coronet

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a driver readily available that will fit inside the head of a p60 type flashlight?

the host i plan to use has approx. 17mm diameter usable space and can accomodate about the same in depth give or take depending on the sizing of heat sink that will be a custom fit.

This is a single 18650 configuration. I can go the double cr123 route for a higher input voltage but already have plenty of 18650 so prefer to stay with that power source.

Looking for 5 to 6 amp regulated or direct drive on high with three output modes High med low. High is no more than 30 second burst the medium and low will be used fairly constant so prefer those to be regulated.

Any suggestions appreciated

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 A at 4V is 24W, or 720 joules during all of a 30-second 'Burst' mode.

1. Can your 18650 deliver that current? That's a 2C drain on the highest-capacity 18650s in production.
2. Can your switch take it? Most max out at 2-5A.
3. How hot will it get? If you have 20g of aluminum heatsink, you've heated it up about 40C (To 70C if it was idle beforehand).

I suggest checking some SST90-style drivers which can deliver up to 9A. They require heatsinking and thrive on big wires.

51coronet

Newly Enlightened
6 A at 4V is 24W, or 720 joules during all of a 30-second 'Burst' mode.

1. Can your 18650 deliver that current? That's a 2C drain on the highest-capacity 18650s in production.
2. Can your switch take it? Most max out at 2-5A.
3. How hot will it get? If you have 20g of aluminum heatsink, you've heated it up about 40C (To 70C if it was idle beforehand).

I suggest checking some SST90-style drivers which can deliver up to 9A. They require heatsinking and thrive on big wires.

the sst90 drivers I have found on popular diy websites do not operate on 2.8 - 4.2 volts. If someone has a suggestion please include the source website name and p/n. Thanks

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no manufacturer drivers that will drive at 5.6a in the format you're looking for. The P60 dropins that you may come across for quad led dropins that run at 5.6A are modified 2.8a 8x7135 drivers. I think all that's done is they've soldered an additional 8 7135 chips on top of the existing chips.

moderator007

Enlightened
There are no manufacturer drivers that will drive at 5.6a in the format you're looking for. The P60 dropins that you may come across for quad led dropins that run at 5.6A are modified 2.8a 8x7135 drivers. I think all that's done is they've soldered an additional 8 7135 chips on top of the existing chips.
Thats the only drivers for flashlights I know of that can produce high current from 4.2v. Two 2800ma amc7135 drivers wired in parallel can give you 5.6 amps from a 4.2v source. The battery will have to be up for the task. Maybe a quality panasonic 18650 or IMR 18650 can handle the current.

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a driver readily available that will fit inside the head of a p60 type flashlight?

the host i plan to use has approx. 17mm diameter usable space and can accomodate about the same in depth give or take depending on the sizing of heat sink that will be a custom fit.

This is a single 18650 configuration. I can go the double cr123 route for a higher input voltage but already have plenty of 18650 so prefer to stay with that power source.

Looking for 5 to 6 amp regulated or direct drive on high with three output modes High med low. High is no more than 30 second burst the medium and low will be used fairly constant so prefer those to be regulated.

Any suggestions appreciated

IMO most high amp (>3 amp / 10 watts) p60 dropins, except the very best designed and have a large surface area head, are essentially impractical in most situations.
My own very well designed 3 amp P60 becomes hot after a short period of time.

Hope this helps.

51coronet

Newly Enlightened
Thats the only drivers for flashlights I know of that can produce high current from 4.2v. Two 2800ma amc7135 drivers wired in parallel can give you 5.6 amps from a 4.2v source. The battery will have to be up for the task. Maybe a quality panasonic 18650 or IMR 18650 can handle the current.

Say for example I have two of such drivers and wire them together in parallel. Each driver has 3 modes high med low, will these modes stay in sync? Anyone experiement with such a setup or know how it will work? I ordered 3amp drivers 2 weeks ago but they are still MIA. Should I set up 1 driver with modes and the other as high only? My main concern with this is the modes not staying in sync so 1 driver ends up being med and the other high or low or a combination of settings instead of only 3.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Use IMR 18650 cells and you have no problem delivering the current you need, but any 3.7battery will struggle to hit 6A at a SST-90 due to the High Vf.

moderator007

Enlightened
Say for example I have two of such drivers and wire them together in parallel. Each driver has 3 modes high med low, will these modes stay in sync? Anyone experiement with such a setup or know how it will work? I ordered 3amp drivers 2 weeks ago but they are still MIA. Should I set up 1 driver with modes and the other as high only? My main concern with this is the modes not staying in sync so 1 driver ends up being med and the other high or low or a combination of settings instead of only 3.
You have to wire the three pins coming from the one amc7135 board to the other amc7135 board. Read this thread. You can simply remove the attiny13 on your slave board by unsloder it. Then the master board will retain the attiny13 for the modes that will also controll the slave board without the attiny13.
There is also another method. There just one pin on the attiny13 that needs to be disconnected for it to be disabled. I think (pretty sure) its the ground pin #4 (bottom row far right) that needs to be cut or unsoldered in this pic here by member vestureofblood. Pin #6 PB1 is the enable pin that out puts the PWM to the amc7135's. I think this pin could be cut also to disable modes but the attiny would still be powered up. Maybe some one else can chime in for verfication that pin #4 ground is the correct pin to cut to disable. Attiny13 datasheet for the pin outs.

51coronet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks moderator007 exactly the information I needed! With that information I succesfully modded a 3amp driver into a 6amp driver. Only catch is its drawing 4.5 amps instead of 6. 4x xpg-r5 wired in parallel. I double checked all connections and reflowed the solder joints. A fresh panasonic non protected 3100ma bumped it up to 5amps. Only conclusion I have is I may have damaged some of the 7135 chips. Its bright and floody but I was expecting a bit more out of it. Oh well first chip mod was a success thanks again for the info!

moderator007

Enlightened
Did you use some heavy guage wire to replace your DMM leads when measure the current draw. Using a thicker shorty guage wire will have less resistance and give you a more accurate reading. Any resistance in the circuit reduces current I=V/R. The current has to pass through the DMM and leads when measuring current.