I'm looking at getting a decent thrower and have narrowed it down to these two choices. (I am open to other options too in the $100 range.) And yes, this is my first real light purchase. I have a couple of older Maglights and one Mini LED Maglite. I thought it was time for a real torch.
Here's what I like and dislike about both. If you have any suggestions of other lights that would work, feel free to post!
- The side switch for modes. I like the idea of easily being able to turn the light back on to a lower setting. What I haven't been able to find out is if the side switch is also momentary. From what I could find, if you use the tail switch for momentary, the light defaults to turbo mode. I wish they had the magnetic control on this light. That is the UI that seems to fit what I'm looking for in a UI. I did look at the V20C, but it didn't seem to have quite the throw that the T20CS has.
- The low voltage indicator light is a nice bonus.
- Hidden strobe/sos since I don't expect to use those functions.
- This light just looks awesome.
- The momentary tail switch defaulting to turbo mode.
- No aspheric lens upgrade. (which I think I would buy in the future for the DBS-T)
DBS-T XM-L T6
- The ability to swap parts between their other lights and easily upgrade the lights. I could see myself buying a CLIH or Javelin in the future. And the aspheric head. The different options for batteries and body size are nice.
- I'm leaning towards getting a warm neutral light, which they offer.
- The UI seems like it might be a problem with the momentary switching between modes instead of just on and off. How quickly do you have to press the momentary to cycle between modes? If I have the light on for a few seconds with momentary, will it stay in the same mode the next time? Or will it cycle modes?
From how I'm reading the Dereelight webpage, if I get the 2MT-S pill, I can get full brightness out of 1x18650. But from the 2MT-M, which would give me more battery options, I would need to use 2xCR123 or get the extension tubes to use 2x18650. Is there a real advantage or disadvantage to using 18650 vs CR123? I would like to get rechargeable batteries either way. I understand that I would get longer run times using 2x18650, but I think the light might be a bit longer than what I would want to carry on a regular basis.
Thanks in advance for any advise to get my light collection started!