Sunwayman T20CS or a Dereelight DBS-T?

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a decent thrower and have narrowed it down to these two choices. (I am open to other options too in the $100 range.) And yes, this is my first real light purchase. I have a couple of older Maglights and one Mini LED Maglite. I thought it was time for a real torch. :)

Here's what I like and dislike about both. If you have any suggestions of other lights that would work, feel free to post!

T20CS
Pros:
- The side switch for modes. I like the idea of easily being able to turn the light back on to a lower setting. What I haven't been able to find out is if the side switch is also momentary. From what I could find, if you use the tail switch for momentary, the light defaults to turbo mode. I wish they had the magnetic control on this light. That is the UI that seems to fit what I'm looking for in a UI. I did look at the V20C, but it didn't seem to have quite the throw that the T20CS has.
- The low voltage indicator light is a nice bonus.
- Hidden strobe/sos since I don't expect to use those functions.
- This light just looks awesome.

Cons:
- The momentary tail switch defaulting to turbo mode.
- No aspheric lens upgrade. (which I think I would buy in the future for the DBS-T)

DBS-T XM-L T6
Pros:
- The ability to swap parts between their other lights and easily upgrade the lights. I could see myself buying a CLIH or Javelin in the future. And the aspheric head. The different options for batteries and body size are nice.
- I'm leaning towards getting a warm neutral light, which they offer.

Cons:
- The UI seems like it might be a problem with the momentary switching between modes instead of just on and off. How quickly do you have to press the momentary to cycle between modes? If I have the light on for a few seconds with momentary, will it stay in the same mode the next time? Or will it cycle modes?

From how I'm reading the Dereelight webpage, if I get the 2MT-S pill, I can get full brightness out of 1x18650. But from the 2MT-M, which would give me more battery options, I would need to use 2xCR123 or get the extension tubes to use 2x18650. Is there a real advantage or disadvantage to using 18650 vs CR123? I would like to get rechargeable batteries either way. I understand that I would get longer run times using 2x18650, but I think the light might be a bit longer than what I would want to carry on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any advise to get my light collection started!

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?324362-gopajti-s-flashlight-picture-thread-(incl.-beamshots)/page2&highlight=gopajti

check this thread. you can compare beamshots of the swm t20cs against the dbs-t xm-l nw. swm quality (fit/finsih) is higher than dereelight. the dereelight dbs-t will throw further due to the reflector diameter but its high current draw prefers 2x18500 or 2x18650. i have a swm t20cs that has been swapped to neutral. it is compact, throws decently, superb quality. take a look at the armytek viking s (xp-g) for throw or viking x (xm-l) brighter/floodier. i believe its possible to get them in neutral.

between your two original choices i would choose the swm t20cs

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
I am starting to lean towards the T20CS. The more I look at it, the more I want to get one. What rechargeable batteries do you suggest running in it?

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
I am leaning toward the T20CS right now. The smaller size and the side switch are looking better all the time. What type of batteries do you run in yours? cr123 or 18650? And is there a performance difference between the two?

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
i think you'd be happy with the t20cs. get the dbs-t 2nd. or get them both ^^. the t20cs runs at full potential on 2 x cr123's but i use an AW 18650 3100 mAH rechargeable li-ion. it is still plenty bright and i am not too concerned with the difference. AW, redilast and callies kustom are the best protected rechargeable li-ions.

forgot to mention the t20cs feels really good in the tactical grip.

Last edited:

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
i think you'd be happy with the t20cs. get the dbs-t 2nd. or get them both ^^. the t20cs runs at full potential on 2 x cr123's but i use an AW 18650 3100 mAH rechargeable li-ion. it is still plenty bright and i am not too concerned with the difference. AW, redilast and callies kustom are the best protected rechargeable li-ions.

forgot to mention the t20cs feels really good in the tactical grip.

Thanks for the advice on the batteries. I think I'm going to go with the T20CS. Now to wait patiently by the mail box....

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I second the suggestion to look at the Crelant 7G5 V2, one, it out throws the Sunwayman by a lot, two, it throws more lumens, three, the aspheric conversion is coming out soon, and you can swap back and forth between the two heads depending on your mood/lighting needs that night, etc.

7005273080_d95950cac8_c.jpg

Here is a shot from the Crelant 7G5 V2 at a round tree ~ 400+ yards away.

7005288054_4992ea3158_c.jpg

Here is a shot of the same tree, the same night, with the Aspheric Deerelight

The Crelant is with the stock reflector, etc, not the aspheric option, and you can see how useful the beam is...far reaching, and it lights up the context around the target as well, not JUST the target.

The above shots were taken the same night from the same location/positions....so its a pretty good comparison.

That tree is ~ 400+ yards away btw.

So the Deerelight has more ultimate range, incredible range...but the spot you see at the distances it can reach is too small to see much. Shooting a stationary target at long range at night, say 800 yards, sure...a moving target, you couldn't track it..it would leave your beam spot too easily. If you want ultimate range, like a fat laser pointer effect...the Deerelight and the OMG Lumens DEFT edc LR+ are hard to beat aspheric throw monsters.

If you use the light to SEE things, and ~400 or so yards is far enough away, then I'd go with the Crelant....and when the Aspheric head comes out, grab that too and have the best of both worlds on one light.

The Deerelight is ~ 200 or so lumens, the Crealnt is 850 lumens...so the reflector Crelant is amazing as it is, but the ASPHERIC Crelant is going to be a MONSTER.

:D

Last edited:

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots. That aspheric dereelight has a wicked throw, but the more I see it, the less I think it will be useful. It would end up being more of a toy/look what my light can do kind of thing.
The Crelant just seems like a much bigger light. I'm hoping to keep it on the smaller side so if I do decide to carry it around it will fit in a small bag easily. Or comfortably in a belt holder.

Lt_Dan

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up my T20CS yesterday and its sweet. Thanks for all the advice!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the beam shots. That aspheric dereelight has a wicked throw, but the more I see it, the less I think it will be useful. It would end up being more of a toy/look what my light can do kind of thing.
The Crelant just seems like a much bigger light. I'm hoping to keep it on the smaller side so if I do decide to carry it around it will fit in a small bag easily. Or comfortably in a belt holder.

7005254838_0d01a05626_c.jpg

Aspheric Deerelight

7005272810_19c9fab0b3_c.jpg

Reflector Lense Crelant 7G5 V2

With two 18650's, the lengths are comparable etc, but in optimum form factor for performance, the Crelant is a bit longer...and can run longer, throw more light, etc.

When the Aspheric head for the Crelant comes out, the throw performance should be incredible, plus, with the larger head, the projected size of the light beam will be expected to light up a larger, even more useful area.

rufus001

Enlightened
If that Aspheric head doesn't come out soon then I'll just about explode! I feel like Steve Martin in "The Man with Two Brains".

Last edited:

Ievel

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for borrowing this thread: Can anyone post a comparison of the Sunwayman T20CS and Crelant 7G5 v2 (1 x 18650)? I know that the Crelant with 2 x 18650 is much brighter, but how does it stand with one?