Scorpion vs. ProPolymer 4AA

maxilux

Enlightened
I need a little help.
Can someone compare the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA vs. Streamlight Scorpion?
If some has a beampicture from these Lamps, i were very happy.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No pics, but I have them both.

I think the 4AA Propolymer could be thought of as a poor mans Scorpion. Not quite as bright, but a nice comparable sized beam. I find I use the 4AA in pedestrian tasks a lot due to it's brightness, long run time, and inexpensive batteries.

I think a lot of us want to keep the lithium lights with fresh batteries.

Your post made me pull out my much used 4AA. I have used the light a lot, and have not changed the batteries for a year or so. New ones at this stage perked it up considerably.

I think a lot of the 4AA lights (Pelican, PT.,etc.) are in this useful catagory.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'd like to input something about the Pelican 4AA (Stealth Lite). I myslf find it MUCH larger than UK 4AA or TEC 40. It has a crummy beam with a tight hotspot and lotsa artifacts. And I pretty much HATE the switch.

The UK 4AA AS2 is in my opinion a MUCH nicer 4AA...

Sorry though, I have neither Scorp nor 4AA Pro Poly (well I do but it is the LED model). Some have said the 3C Xenon PP has a very tight beam...

I think I would go for a Peli M6 if I were looking at these choices.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe, I have the 3C Propolymer. I was very disappointed when it turned out to have a tight , very ringy beam. Most Maglites are better.

I thought I just had a bad bulb, so I replaced it, no help. Other than the lousy beam, I love the clip, and it is OK bright.

Will try playing with bulb pin depth; maybe that'll help.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me resonate in agreement with the posts above. The 4AA PP is a decent light but SL's 3C has poor beam. I really like the Scorp, it'll be my favorite until I can afford a SF E2e (I think).

I'd follow PBJShmoe's advice and check out the Tec & UK as you may prefer one of them. I like my SL 4AA PP enough that it doesn't pay to replace it. I understand the LED version is well liked.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I know this is going a little off topic, but I'll put in my $0.02 in defense of the Stealthlite. It's not my favorite flashlight, but imho I don't think it is a bad a light as Playboy Joe Shmoe thinks it is. Compared to my TEC 40, it is longer but the body is flatter, making it easier to slip into my back pocket with the just head sticking out of the pocket. I don't think the switch is that bad, but I know Playboy is pretty picky about those things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It has a lockout plug for the switch on the lanyard, which I know some people have broken, but so far it has been useful to me. But I prefer the Stealthlite's one hand operation to the twist head of the TEC 40.

Playboy, did you try putting in a SuperSabreLite lamp in the Stealthlite and running rechargables? I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a new Stealthlite just to do this, but with some Writeright the beam is still very tight but also looks a lot better, is very white and throws pretty far.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've never gotten around to getting the SSL module. I guess you are correct that the switch is easier than the twist on the TEC...

I MAY go WAY across town to Frys over this weekend. Among other things I'm almost 100% sure I can get a SSL module.

I just think that of all the 4AAs I have the UK is hands down the nicest.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here are some size and brightness comparisons of 4AA lights.

4 AA LIGHTS

MODEL…………......…LGTH …BZL DIA .....BOD DIA….....…WT…...LUMENS/CP

Pelican Stealthlite+.....6 ½ ………1 ¾"…….….1 3/8" x ¾" ….…..6.6oz………….31.5 L
Streamlight 4AA* ………,6 ¼"……...1 ½" ………1 5/16" x 7/8"...6.3oz…………6000 CP
UKE 4AA++…………….....6 1/8"…..1 1/8"………1 3/8" x ¾"……....5.3oz………..…37.7 L
PrincetonTec Tec40+… 5 15/16"….1 5/8"………1 ¼" x ¾" ………5.5oz……..…..28 L
UKE Mini Q40++ ……....5 7/8"……..1 1/8"………1 3/8" x ¾" …….5.1oz………...37.7 L

For more complete listings see:

<font color="red"> INSTANT SPECS FOR 48 POPULAR LIGHTS - 4TH EDITION UPDATED</font>

Brightnorm

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said: The UK 4AA AS2 is in my opinion a MUCH nicer 4AA...

Yeah...what he said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maxilux

Enlightened
Thanks for your answers.

Now i know, that i must not have the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA, i was looking for a cheap Flashlight, wich is as bright as the Scorpion. Scorpion or other good Flashlights are here in Germany very expensive.
Excuse me for my bad English and thanks again.
Can someone say me something about Tigerlight vs. Streamlight TL3 ?

rlhess

Enlightened
I measured the UKE 4AA at about 2400 cd (CP) and find it a bright, but narrow light. It's close to a pencil beam. Contrast that to about 400cd in a MiniM*g with stock lamp and about 800 cd in a MiniM*g with a Brinkmann Nexstar lamp.

If we're using my "throw" criteria of 1fc at the target then the UKE is good for about 50'.

Sorry, I can't compare the others. I've given friends/relatives the UKE 4AA and they're very happy with it. One uses it to rescue stray cats from under buildings.

Cheers,

Richard

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My UK 4AA makes a slightly oval beam that is bright in the center tapering off into the football. Fairly tight but not pencil beam by any stretch. And the switch is NICE and RIGHT where my thumb wants it to be!!!

But I have a newfound respect for the Pelican Stealthlite when fitted with NimHs and a Super Sabrelite light module.