U.S. Postal Service is refusing ship lithium-ion products overseas

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U.S. Post Office has stopped shipping out anything that comes with a lithium-ion cell or battery. From this May 11 Engadget article, in full:
The USPS has announced that it'll refuse to ship any gear containing lithium ion batteries overseas. The postal service believes combusting power packs have caused two fatal cargo plane crashes since 2006 -- hence the ban, which takes effect from May 16th. Anyone wishing to ship the latest tech to those living or serving overseas will have to use another shipping company -- although the ban might be relaxed in 2013, once safety testing has been carried out.

My question is, will they deliver a lithium-ion package arriving in America FROM overseas?

And does Canada count (loosely) as overseas?

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I'm in hawaii...does it count as overseas? I just picked up 16 lithium cells, hopefully it lasts me til 2013??

The U.S. Post Office has stopped shipping out anything that comes with a lithium-ion cell or battery. From this May 11 Engadget article, in full:
The USPS has announced that it'll refuse to ship any gear containing lithium ion batteries overseas. The postal service believes combusting power packs have caused two fatal cargo plane crashes since 2006 -- hence the ban, which takes effect from May 16th. Anyone wishing to ship the latest tech to those living or serving overseas will have to use another shipping company -- although the ban might be relaxed in 2013, once safety testing has been carried out.

My question is, will they deliver a lithium-ion package arriving in America FROM overseas?

And does Canada count (loosely) as overseas?

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Geez, now that is terrible news :( I'm in Sydney OZ, and have got quite a few things from USPS, which is relatively cheap, just takes 1 - 2 weeks. I haven't had anything go missing yet! (touch wood). Hopefully dealers will be able to ship things without batteries to overseas customers.

Are primary CR123 considered to be "Lithium Ion" or "Lithium" batteries? Will that make a difference to the USPS policy?

Last edited:

d337944

Enlightened
D'OH! Wonder if that applies to cr123a primaries too? I know primaries are Lithium, but they can also short-circuit and overheat if mishandled or damaged.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are shipping regulations on primaries already. They allow only so many per package if I recall. I remember leaving China a few weeks ago seeing the notices on shipping loose Lithium Ion cells in checked bags. There is a limit on the weight of the total number of loose cells. Loose meaning not in a device.

Primaries have issues too. Moisture is bad for them.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
damn, i hope they will still ship CR123 primaries!
I eat Titanium Innovations 123's, and don't wanna pay 20 $ for one single CR123 at the local photo store...

yifu

Enlightened
Wow, luckily i got my last LiPo pack 2 hours ago, so i should be fine. And anyways i don't use primaries (too costly) and i get my Li-on from China or domestic sources. I can see exportation(online retail sales) of tech products becoming a problem though, since pretty much every electronic product uses Li-On batteries.

yifu

Enlightened
Alright, so after a bit of digging, i found the actual source for this reported information. This comes from USPS' publication on prohibited materials...

622.5 Lithium and Lithium-ion Cells and Batteries
622.51 Primary Lithium (Non-Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Small consumer-type primary lithium cells and batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) such as those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable with the following restrictions:
Primary lithium cells and batteries are mailable when the cells or batteries are properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate and the mailpiece has no more than the number of batteries needed to operate the device.
Each cell must contain no more than 1.0 gram (g) of lithium content per cell.
Each battery must contain no more than 2.0 g aggregate lithium content per battery.
Each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT's hazardous materials regulation at 49 CFR 171.7.
Individual mailpieces must not exceed 11 pounds.

In addition, all primary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed within a firmly sealed package separated and cushioned to prevent short circuit, movement, or damage. Except for batteries installed in equipment, they must be in a strong outer package. All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address. Cells or batteries properly installed in the device they operate must be protected from damage and short circuit, and the device must be equipped with an effective means of preventing accidental activation. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side "Package Contains Primary Lithium Batteries."
622.52 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Small consumer-type lithium-ion cells and batteries such as those used to power cell phones and laptop computers are mailable with the following restrictions:
Individual cells or batteries are mailable when the cells or batteries are properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate.
Each cell must contain no more than 1.5 g of equivalent lithium content per cell.
Each battery must contain no more than 8.0 g aggregate quantity of equivalent lithium content per battery.
Each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the
UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in the DOT's hazardous materials regulation at
49 CFR 171.7.
Individual mailpieces must not contain more than three batteries.

In addition, all secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries must be mailed in a firmly sealed package separated and cushioned to prevent short circuit, movement, or damage. Except for batteries installed in equipment, they must be in a strong outer package. All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address. Cells or batteries properly installed in the device they operate must be protected from damage and short circuit, and the device must be equipped with an effective means of preventing accidental activation. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side "Package Contains Lithium-Ion Batteries (no lithium metal)."

Given that 8grams of Lithium is contained in a 100Wh battery, most smaller applications should be fine. I.e. 18650s have only 0.8grams.
http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c6_003.htm#ep260739

Last edited:

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
A couple of days ago I ordered twenty CR123As to be delivered to my P.O. box. A few hours later I got an email from the vendor that they couldn't ship through the U.S. mail and I would have to give an address that Fed X could deliver to or cancel the order. I gave them my house address and the batteries are now on their way. I guess that confirms yifu's post above.

I hate having to deal with Fed X or UPS. USPS has been so much more convenient for me, but I didn't have much choice on this one.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
and i just put in another order for 16 14505s from BJ. Can't live without these batteries now that I've been awestruck by their power!

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Yikes.. Looks like I'll have to stock up. One CR123 battery here in NZ is almost 10.00 so I am not looking forward to this at all. Does this also mean that I wont be able to order in my 6x18650s that I have been saving up for?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul thanks for the info, so what does all that mean will we or won't we be able to order say 50 CR123's using USPS? I'm guessing ordering 3 or 4 18650's will be ok?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got some 18650s in a padded envelope and the mailman gave the package a thorough "pat down." He said nothing, so I said nothing. Was he looking for li ion batteries? After reading this the other day I was afraid to ask.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is...well...sad. He "searched" you package when he delivered it?

I will remain optimistic he was checking for breakage of the contents.

If they search after shipping...it is just intrusive or nosey.

obi

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is...well...sad. He "searched" you package when he delivered it?

I will remain optimistic he was checking for breakage of the contents.

If they search after shipping...it is just intrusive or nosey.

obi

No kidding right, I've sent dozens of packages to CPF members and never was there a time a PO employee patted down the package much less when they delivered one to me.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Slightly OT, I went to post an IPhone here in Australia today and had to post it via road transport.
Reason given "because the batteries can explode".

Norm