Klarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. Postal Service is refusing ship lithium-ion products overseas

Default Re: U.S. Postal Service is refusing ship lithium-ion products overseas

what about ordering integrated battery packs such as those used in laptops,digital SLR cameras or the battery handles of an OLIGHT SR series light? are those restricted also?

Flashaholic*

Does USPS ship Li-ion to Canada? As in drive trucks across the border via ground? I've looked high and low but can't find the answer.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    Hongkong Post is banning Lithium batteries and other products too. I'm glad that there is at least one European (German) assembler of good protected 18650s.
    I just received 2 X 18650 via HK Post, I wonder how closely it's being monitored?

Norm

Flashaholic

The thing is, if those places were to read the law correctly, and to assume I am understading it correctly, is that if single 18650's are packaged in a way as to make them safe they can ship them.
    For instance the way EagleTac has them first in a cello wrap bag and then in a cardboard box. The way I understood it this is legal. Also the fact that single li-ions come in well below the max. limit for the actual metals that are of concern.
    I am in Canada. After this hit the fan I e-mailed four of the common stores we all know of here on CPF, two of which I have bought from in the past. Only one of them said that it is no problem, that they do ship according to law and always have. The other three stores? I don't know. They are confused or just don't want to bother, I don't really know.
    I wish they sort this out as my supply here in Canada is limited. I only know of a few places local to me and that is fine as long as their supply chain stays open.
    Fenix TK35/TK21 U2/PD32/LD12/E01/ Romisen RC-T602/ Klarus XT2C/ EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, Thrunite TN31. , Olight s10, Eagletac D25LC2 factory mod XP-G2 with 2amp driver. Eagletac D25C Ti XM-L U2, D25C ti XP-G2

Enlightened

622.5 cited in post #8 was revised with Postal Bulletin issued on May 3, 2012. Link ...

"Revised to indicate that primary lithium metal or lithium alloy cells and batteries (nonrechargeable), or secondary lithium-ion cells or batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location."

So has anyone discovered an acceptable way to order Lithium Batteries, I purchase most of my electronics based on my love for 18650 cells, but I'm in the Navy and now that i'm deployed I keep getting denied by amazon and couple other companies when I try to purchase even two cells. I have an FPO/AP address and don't think I'll be pulling in to any countries with a dedicated battery store for probably the next 6+ months. I just ordered a Klarus XT11 and a Xeno EO3 V3 from BladeHQ.com as my first flashlights in the hobby and I had to request that they didn't ship with batteries because I already have to wait 3 weeks for my mail and don't want to bother with a delay or turnaround.

Default U.S. Postal Service is refusing ship lithium-ion products overseas

It's supposed to get a little better in January

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Reason given "because the batteries can explode".

Norm
    they do sometimes

I emailed lighthound.com who i usually get my 18650's from and they informed me that their packaging meets the postal regulation. So i ordered a bunch of AW 3100mah 18650's and they turned up across the seas in the usual 1-2 week delivery time. Great company to deal with!

cheers

I just had an order for 18650's refunded because Hong Kong Post and China post are refusing to ship li-ions on their own, without being in a flashlight or ecig. They had the package returned to them. They did say it was because of a "big government meeting " later this month in China, and that things will get back to normal when that has finished. I assume this is the meeting to anoint a new Chinese government.

Still, ties in with Electroguru's note that it will get better in January.

This all comes from the international pilots. They saw their coworkers get blown out of the sky and pushed the international transport guys to push the national post offices.

Whatever the final rules, they will eventually apply to all countries. The only variations will be in levels of enforcement (and compliance).

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    they do sometimes

Egad! What was that?
    The Very Merry FlashlightWidow

Updated....USPS no goni to ship lithium batteries starting 15 Nov 2012!.. see link

http://about.usps.com/news/national-...2/pr12_128.htm

The part that says "Batteries installed" makes me think they are not talking about loose batteries......hope not

It's better than nothing at all. I have been shipped lights with no batteries since the ban ...ie Eagletac. So, at a minimum, the requirement to be installed would help. But, I still don't understand the ban with regards to Int'l/FPO/APO/DPO vs US only... USPS did not put a total ban on shipments within the US ...so from LA to FL?

Quote Originally Posted by shichuhei View Post
    But, I still don't understand the ban with regards to Int'l/FPO/APO/DPO vs US only... USPS did not put a total ban on shipments within the US ...so from LA to FL?
    This isn't a ban by the USPS, it's a ban by the international pilots, who are responsible for APO type deliveries. US/US pilots have not made the same conditions.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 11-11-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    This isn't a ban by the USPS, it's a ban by the international pilots, who are responsible for APO type deliveries. US/US pilots have not made the same conditions.
    Thanks for your reply!