Imalent
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

It is a retail light, the High CRI version.

I tried all the things you all suggested. I even started by using eneloops then 14500s. The primary 123s and 16340s both work. Jason said it worked for him all day before he sent it to me. The first time I had the issue I tightened the screw in the head but it was only a temporary fix.

-Alex
    -Alex

Quick off-topic... If you have an issue with your V11R LE and extender, drop me a line and we'll try and work something out as well.

On a side note, I haven't had any issue myself with the V11R, or LE or PE versions with extender (always used extender for better grip) but then again I don't EDC them religiously. I EDC the TCR1 (gasp!).

Default Re: Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2012 View Post
    Did try to tighting the lens head? If the lens head is loose it doesn't turn on. Also is that a retail light? Your OP says sample.
    I often refer to my own lights as "samples", yes it was a retail purchase. As far as troubleshooting a light goes, I remove, clean, retighten and check every user accessible part before posting problems.

Default Re: Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    It is a retail light, the High CRI version.

I tried all the things you all suggested. I even started by using eneloops then 14500s. The primary 123s and 16340s both work. Jason said it worked for him all day before he sent it to me. The first time I had the issue I tightened the screw in the head but it was only a temporary fix.

-Alex
    So you're saying the AA size battery worked for Jason before he shipped it to you? Is it possible to test the contact by using 2 wire or paperclips? Did you also try fully screw without the O-rings? I wonder if the HCRI is designed to work with the Extender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualnosaj View Post
    Quick off-topic... If you have an issue with your V11R LE and extender, drop me a line and we'll try and work something out as well.

On a side note, I haven't had any issue myself with the V11R, or LE or PE versions with extender (always used extender for better grip) but then again I don't EDC them religiously. I EDC the TCR1 (gasp!).
    Aren't you the guy that was giving one out for free? Do you have anymore for sale?

Could it be the extender wasn't threaded enough to make a solid contact. Threads bottoming out before it makes contact. Sand some of the anno off.

Anyone notice the threads on the head isn't continuous? The threads near the screw are missing. Is it just on my light or is it like that for you guys too?
    How do you guys turn the ring? 1.With the index & thumb on the ring? or 2. Index wrap on the head and using the thumb to turn it? It more comfortable with 1, but head gets loose easier. Does anyone have a solution to prevent the head from coming loose easier?

I have the same problem. My v11 doesn't work with a single AA battery, or 14500, with the extender. Oddly, I can put the extender in M11 and it works fine on AA. I've previously used RCR123 only in the V11. Is there a reset that I need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetman7 View Post
    I have the same problem. My v11 doesn't work with a single AA battery, or 14500, with the extender. Oddly, I can put the extender in M11 and it works fine on AA. I've previously used RCR123 only in the V11. Is there a reset that I need to do?
    There's no reset my friend. If you read earlier posts in this thread by myself and climberkid you will see that we have encountered this problem as well. You can try to retighten the set screw in the head and see what happens. It was a temporary fix that I had to keep repeating until I started having issues w/123 size batteries. I then sent it back for exchange. Clean & tighten all contact points and if you get no results you should contact your vendor.

Hello,

just a question about output power,

It is stated by the manufacturer to limit to 5mn max intensity,
    Does the torch support full power for around 30 mn as you mesured ? is it possible to hold it in hands ? any risk to burn it ?

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    It is stated by the manufacturer to limit to 5mn max intensity,
    Does the torch support full power for around 30 mn as you mesured ? is it possible to hold it in hands ? any risk to burn it ?
    The light will certainly run for an extended period of time on max - the question is whether or not it is advisable to do so. Like many manufacturers, they give the reasonable instruction to limit to your time on max (especially for RCR), and to provide some kind of cooling (i.e., hand holding, fan, etc.). Note that all my tests are done under a cooling fan.

It stands to reason there is a greater risk in running any light on max (especially with limited or no cooling). In this case, if you found it too warm while carrying, you can easily dial down the output a little. But I certainly don't recommend you try to pick up a light that has been running for an extended period on max unattended/uncooled - it is likely to be a little too hot to handle comfortably with bare hands at that point.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Jetbeam RRT26.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

In people's opinion is it worth going for the V11R over the V10A if you are only going to use AA nimhs and just like having the option of "what if I go RCR" in the future?

Default Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

Quote Originally Posted by AFearlessBirdOfParadise View Post
    In people's opinion is it worth going for the V11R over the V10A if you are only going to use AA nimhs and just like having the option of "what if I go RCR" in the future?
    It's about the "what if".

The V10 package is sleeker and slippier/smoother finish. Think more executive like.

If you want the 400+ lumens, you can run 14500.

Flashaholic*

some reactions and comparisons between the V10a, V10r, and V11r w/ or w/o the AA extender.

All output testing was performed with cells that came off a full charge w/in less than 30 minutes of using them in a test. After any test more than 5 min, they went back on the charger. why? The discharge curves show that nearly all "regulated" lights decrease their output fairly quickly after a runtime initiation.

Testing methods: I direct the beam from either light to the same point on the ceiling and look at the bare wood floor underneath the point of aim and alternate between lights by covering up one light or the other with my thumbs or palm. or I compare the direct illumination of a target at varying distances. ie: my neighbor has a gazebo some 30+ steps away which serves nicely for spot/spill size and brightness comparisons.

The V10r was the first light that introduced me to the Sunwayman continuously variable ring. Since I could never find the control ring by feel in a timely fashion, I cut a strip of duct tape slightly narrower than the control ring with a bit of overlap end-to-end around the ring. Now I have no problem with finding the control ring. my nephew thought so too and absconded with that light. sigh. The V10r is a nice light! The V10a retained the smooth control ring of the V10r, so I applied the duct tape correction to the control ring as well. The V11r has the knurled control ring and I have no problem finding the ring by feel as is.

Note that I just received my copy of the V11r and appear to have a later version than the one Selfbuilt tested.

1. My copy came with the rubber switch cover installed and the stainless steel switch cover in a little baggie. I prefer the rubber boot anyway.

2. My copy of the V11r has an arguably smaller spot than the V10a. the spill sizes are roughly the same. The V11r & V10a ring patterns are consistent with Selfbuilt's beam photos. The V11r has a bit more pronounced rings than the V10a which is has minimal ring effects. If the V11r is turned on by itself, the color appears to be a bit warm white. By comparison the V10a has a coolish white beam that is consistent from spot thru spill edges. with both lights turned on, only then does a slight greenish color to an outer ring on the V11r become noticeable. Frankly, for an XML, the V10a has a nearly flawless beam spot/spill!

3. Regarding the cells being used: I use primarily the AW IMR 16340 unprotected cells and the AW (ICR) RCR123a protected cells. Same for the 14500 size: AW IMR or ICR cells. Both the V11r and V10a increase their output perceptibly when using the IMR cell as opposed to the ICR cells. That characteristic is consistent with the current capabilities of the cell types. To my perception, XML lights generally demonstrate a slight increase in their output with IMR cells. When using the same cell type in both lights, the V11r is slightly brighter than the V10a. If I use an ICR cell in the V11r and an IMR cell in the V10a, the V10a appears to be slightly brighter.

4. The V11r has a noticeably higher "low" than the V10a. Since I almost never use the lowest setting on any light - thanks to old eyes - that lowest setting makes no difference to me.

5. The V11r with a NiMH cell has a slightly lower output on high than my copy of a ZL SC51 on H1 - which is consistent with their ratings.

6. The V11r does have a more viscous damped motion to the control ring - sort of as if there was some sort of oil or silicon damping to any motion. By comparison, the control ring on the V10a moves very easily - perhaps too easily. I find the output with the V10a unintentionally changing. with the V11r that might happen, but relatively little. I do not have a problem with twisting the control ring and inadvertently twisting off the head of the light. Admittedly I cannot turn the control ring on the V11r as fast as on the V10a with thumb/forefinger. I have to admit that, like Selfbuilt, I prefer the length of the V10a or the V11r with the AA extender better than the V11r w/out the AA extender. My fingers more naturally find the control ring with the AA length.

7. My AA extender functions correctly - no problems. no random on/off or poor contact.

In general I agree with Selfbuilt - the V11r appears to be correcting the various ills of the previous V10a/r series.

Which do I prefer? As my nephew said, the V10r (XP-G) has a really nice beam pattern. However between the V10a and V11r w/extender, both with XM-L LEDs, I slightly prefer the V10a for it's comparatively smooth white beam for an XM-L. The primary advantage to the V11r with the AA extender is battery type versatility.

Question Re: Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

I am having a difficult time deciding between a Sunwayman V10A and a V11R with AA-extender. My family is interested in using only a rechargeable Sanyo eneloop AA battery.

The V10A seems to have a rock-solid rating in reliability and performance with members of this forum.

But I know that a family member would benefit from the higher maximum lumen rating for the V11R with AA-extender.

But there are several issues reported for the V11R that have me concerned:

-- an employee from an online retailer hidcanada named Jason expressed a criticism of the V11R [quoted immediately below]. There seems to be a lot of respect from customers here and on two other flashlight forums for the service received from HIDCanada for Sunwayman warranty repairs. So when a HIDCanada employee has a lack of confidence in a sunwayman model, I feel like that comment carries a lot of weight.

"The biggest thing is the V11R is trying to be too much with poor execution. This says a lot since I'm a SWM fanatic..."
    source: post #17 in this thread (link)

-- due to the high resistance of the control ring, while adjusting the brightness the extender ring can become unscrewed thereby turning off the flashlight. But this may be an issue limited to the lubrication used for the control ring in the limited edition high CRI V11R

-- a customer reported that after several months of use, a rattle developed in three areas: the reflector, the head assembly, and switch. That customer also reported a "minor issue w/outgassing of internal plastic components that cause the lens/reflector to get cloudier over time as well"
    see post #14 in this thread (link)

- and in pages 2 and 3 of this thread, there are several more reports of issues both with rattling and with the extender; furthermore, for some the suggestions for fixing the issues wound up only temporarily correcting the rattling
    Last edited by MojaveMoon07; 12-19-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Well I don't have experience with the V11r (I'm deciding between the same two) the V10A values on this review are for the XP-G model, and the is a XM-L model out now, which should be brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AFearlessBirdOfParadise View Post
    Well I don't have experience with the V11r (I'm deciding between the same two) the V10A values on this review are for the XP-G model, and the is a XM-L model out now, which should be brighter.
    That's right, I never tested the XM-L-version of the V10A, so I don't know how it compares to the V11R+extender. It is probably pretty comparable.

I've carried both the V10A and V11R+extender as EDC, and would be fine with either frankly. I actually like the extra grip of the V11R better, and I've personally not had trouble with the head unscrewing or rattle. Although I can see how the head could unscrew, depending on the tolerances and lubrication (especially if you were to partially grip outside the control ring area, while ramping up).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Jetbeam RRT26.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveMoon07 View Post
    I am having a difficult time deciding between a Sunwayman V10A and a V11R with AA-extender.
    They're almost identical lights, so the control ring resistance and the rattling could affect both models. It really just comes down to whether you want to be limited to AA in one case, or higher output and the CR123 option in the other.

Mine have a very slight rattle if you shake them close to the ear. The control ring on my V11R HCRI is a little tighter than stock V11R, and the first time it turned off on me due to the head unscrewing was a rude surprise. It's probably unnecessary, but I got into a habit of re-tightening the head after each use. If it becomes a real problem I'll just detach the head and remove some of that lube.
    -- || --

Thank you all ; I'm grateful for the replies and help

The extra grip via the knurling of the V11R control ring appeals to me, too -- it seems like it'd make it easier to blindly locate the ring with little to no ambient lighting. I had read a comment that one person had put a skinny strip of duct tape along the control ring of the V10A to give it more grip.

Since Sunwayman's website does not appear to have any specs for the XML version of the V10A, I'm relying on those provided by the retailers which list a maximum of 110 lumens while using an AA-battery. In contrast, the maximum lumens of the V11R XML using an AA-battery and extender was gauged by selfbuilt to be 190 lumens (link). Since we would only ever be using AA-batteries, this is presenting a dilemma for me. The only means I have of approximately comparing these two lumen values is to compare our Fenix LD15 and 4sevens MiniAAx2 which are rated at 117 lumens and 180 lumens, respectively, by their manufacturers. The difference in brightness to me looks modest but appreciable. My interest in just the XML versions of the V10A and V11R is the wider hotspot; that's what I'm not considering the XPG V10A.

At the same time that I posted my previous post, I sent an email to hidcanada to hear as a retailer their perspective. The following is a paraphrasing of what they said. They've had quite a few reported issues with intermittent contact issues using the V11R and the AA extender. Their experience with the V10A XML is that it has a control ring that is initially stiffer than that in the V11R. And they also said to be aware that the V10A has a very slippery surface compared to the V11R.
    Last edited by MojaveMoon07; 12-21-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Hi,
    can someone tell exactly why the variable regulation is less efficient than defined brightness levels? For example, Olight S10 (defined levels) runs in the moonlight mode for 15 days, V11R (variable) runs on minimal level for 2 days only. Both flashlight are current regulated. I know and it's obvious that variable regulation has some kind of overhead, but what is it in detail? What are the differences in their circuits?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by awes View Post
    Hi,
    can someone tell exactly why the variable regulation is less efficient than defined brightness levels? For example, Olight S10 (defined levels) runs in the moonlight mode for 15 days, V11R (variable) runs on minimal level for 2 days only. Both flashlight are current regulated. I know and it's obvious that variable regulation has some kind of overhead, but what is it in detail? What are the differences in their circuits?
    Thanks!
    The chip that allows infinite variability eats up a few milliamps. I'm guessing ~10mA. Some math below.

In my experiments, the lowest current required to turn on the LED on a customized (for a low-low) V1*R is ~13mA. With an 850mAh battery, this might last ~ 850/13 = 2.7 days. So if another light can run for 15 days, and assuming the same battery/voltage, I'm guessing it only needs 2.3mA to turn on. In either case the low-low is pretty useless -- it's barely visible to dark-adjusted eyes.

Turn up the brightness to a useful level, and the difference in how long they last will start to disappear.
    Last edited by borealis; 01-26-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    -- || --

Thanks borealis. I wonder if someone will ever build a variable regulated driver with a smaller overhead.
    Last edited by awes; 01-27-2013 at 03:13 AM.

good review as usual. tyvm
    lights: saber1a, v11r, sc52, sc600ii, ea4, tn31, archer1a.

@ holylight

You made 16 posts today, always the same: "good review as usual. tyvm " What´s up with that?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric242 View Post
    @ holylight

You made 16 posts today, always the same: "good review as usual. tyvm " What´s up with that?

Eric
    after reading peoples hard work of reviewing, is fair i gave a pat on the sholder
    lights: saber1a, v11r, sc52, sc600ii, ea4, tn31, archer1a.

I wonder if it would have been feasible for Sunwayman to provide a command to bypass the control ring circuit. Basically, you double click the power switch and whatever mode you're on is "locked". You double-click again to release and allow the control ring to change the brightness level. This way you in can get far better runtimes when locked, which is useful when you're going to be using the selected mode for a long while.
    Lights in my rotation: Nitecore EA4 | Surefire U2 | Novatac EDC-120P | Olight M20 R5 | Fenix P3D-Q5, PD30. L0D-Q4 | Regal WT1 | Pila GL3/D26

So, I've been EDC'ing this light for about a month and love it. I have never had a light with "infinitely" variable brightness and am new to the Sunwayman brand as well, but I have almost no complaints about it. Currently running my Neutral White XM-L version on a 16340 and still am amazed at the wall of light that this torch can put out.

If I had to nitpick though, there are two things that I noticed:

-I kinda wish this light had a bezel up clip. I rotate between this and a Quark123 and prefer the Quarks bezel up clip. Though, I can see why this is not the case as it would most likely interfere with the control ring.

-Still can't find a comfortable way to change output one-handed in the overhand position. Currently I just turn on the light overhand and then transition to underhand which is fine, but I still find awkward sometimes.

Having said that, the light is just perfect as and EDC with a really low low and blinding Max (already accidentally blasted myself with ~500lm) I find it really versatile. I also don't miss the flashy modes as much as I thought I would. Makes me really look forward to Sunwayman's future lights.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    I wonder if it would have been feasible for Sunwayman to provide a command to bypass the control ring circuit. Basically, you double click the power switch and whatever mode you're on is "locked". You double-click again to release and allow the control ring to change the brightness level. This way you in can get far better runtimes when locked, which is useful when you're going to be using the selected mode for a long while.
    The control ring circuit doesn't set a "mode" -- it (probably) regulates the current. The bypass would have to have its own levels, like other multi-level lights.
    -- || --

Flashaholic

As I would want more throw than flood, should I try to locate an older version of the V10 that doesn't use a XM-L LED? Thanks for a great review but, since the only V10's that I have found for sale have the newer LED, I am left wondering will it be too floody for me? The light will be used for nighttime hikes where I sometimes find that too much flood, especially when its foggy or raining, hurts visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohn View Post
    As I would want more throw than flood, should I try to locate an older version of the V10 that doesn't use a XM-L LED? Thanks for a great review but, since the only V10's that I have found for sale have the newer LED, I am left wondering will it be too floody for me? The light will be used for nighttime hikes where I sometimes find that too much flood, especially when its foggy or raining, hurts visibility.
    Hard to say - the main difference is that "throwy" XP-G/XP-E lights can be dialed down lower, reducing spill (while maintaining the relative center beam intensity you want). Honestly, this has generally been my preference in an EDC, as I like to use as little light as possible to complete my task. That said, I've easily adapted to XM-L in the last couple of lights I EDCed.