I need a small powerhouse with clip that faces back for hat brim

tubed

Enlightened
I've spent all day trolling for small single cr123 lights to use on a sailboat.
want small enough to fit in small lifepreserver pocket
lanyard attachment so doesn't go overboard
simple - ish settings and UI for one hand
*A backwards facing clip so i can put on brim of baseball hat i always wear for no hands operation
An SOS would be nice (but not essential) (would make a great story to be saved by my light)

Been looking hard at :
Jetbeam BC10
Quark 123
ITP Sc1 (has the backwards clip in picture (Batteryjunction) but says it doesn't come with clip ???)
Fenix pd 20

For the ones that have clips - it is not clear if you can flip it around.
would like to keep it under $50
any thoughts?

BarryG

Enlightened
It's not a CR123 but I used to use a JetBeam Jet-I-Pro in the same way. 2-way clip, 14500 power and could always find AA spares if needed. The Quarks are great lights too!

Barry

tubed

Enlightened
thanks Barry
It's tough to tell by the pictures on the website if you can switch the clip around on the BC10
If you have a chance, look at the pictures of the BC10 and tell me if that is similar to clip on the I Pro.

fishndad

Enlightened
no you cannot reverse clip i got one last week and its verry bright. exillent light for size 500 lumen according to
jet beam and probably accurate.
have you concidered one for pocket and is designed for ball caps?

Last edited:

11tonytiger

Newly Enlightened
The previous version ITP Sc1 comes with the clip you want ,you can probably find one on ebay... BTW This is one cool light .Personally I have a Sunwayman V10R whose clip is reversible but your'e going to pay more than what you want.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then Quark 123 R5 meets those requirements and is on sale at Goinggear for <$50, and they have a couple in inventory, although it may depend on your definition of "powerhouse" with ~200 lumens.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BC10 is a true powerhouse, however you will need to use 16340 cell to achieve this. I use AW IMR 16340 and it is very impressive. It has great output and throw for it's size.

tubed

Enlightened
thanks all.
it looks like the ITP and Quark meet my needs the best. now i just have to decide.
the quark UI intimidates a bit with complexity. i want this to be something i can easily use one-handed in a boat (the other frequently being the thing keeping me on the boat)
Any other last votes? ITP vs Quark

tubed

Enlightened
After much agonizing between the ITP (better UI, longer run times) and the Quark (lighter, smaller, tailstanding) ...I went witht the Quark.
I'll let you know how it goes.

fishndad

Enlightened
Allright its always fun pulling that trigger.

Hey i just got my first Quark and you will pick it up quick.
being a boat enthusiast,i know you will love it.Beacon,SOS,Strobe
i would reccoment one of there AA2X models,just in case of emergency you could sto it somewhere easy to access
even attach a float to it. Gook Luck Congratulations

tubed

Enlightened
So after all that..... i find the light on GG. good price ($44). I order. Next day i get email saying theyr'e out. Olight is discontinuing the Quark 123. The have a new model that looks identical with a different name ($60). I think I found one on another site. Frustrating.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously?

There were 6 available when I posted above, and now they are showing 2 available (cool white XPG R5 w/clip, $45).... I have ordered many lights from GG before and have always found their inventory count to be accurate, decreasing by 1 after placing my order, and getting my lights with only 2 left in stock. Strange

tubed

Enlightened
Seriously?

There were 6 available when I posted above, and now they are showing 2 available.... Strange

Yes - strange. their website actually still had "2 in stock" when i got the email so I called them. they claimed they had none left (despite the website). they offered to sell me the demo they had but it had no clip. I got one at another site i never heard of but looks pretty good called Environmental LED - same price but i had to pay 5 bucks for shipping.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatacs can flip the clips, and they are pretty decent little lights. nice UI, perfect size, 1xCR123...

the clips are designed with a split so if you are (good example a fireman) rooting around in closed space
with crap all around and it snags... it won't yank you back, the light will rip out of the clip safely

tubed

Enlightened
Novatacs can flip the clips, and they are pretty decent little lights. nice UI, perfect size, 1xCR123...

the clips are designed with a split so if you are (good example a fireman) rooting around in closed space
with crap all around and it snags... it won't yank you back, the light will rip out of the clip safely

thanks - Now that i've been looking around a lot, i find it strange that more lights this size (single cell) don't have the backwards clips. there are so many lights in this class, many very compact and perfect for hat brim but have clip facing front - I guess the idea is that's for the pocket and will protect the lense.
still, I prefer the other. I was thinking too, that with the backwards facing clip you could also clip a light to your jacket sleeve for quick no-hands operation. Hopefully, some companies will read this and consider.