Battery Junction
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luminus SBT-70 Announced

Default Re: Luminus SBT-70 Announced

Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    Really? Your company produces a 9mm LED that can take 9amps?

Have a link? If not, why are you here?
    Since when were size and amperage the #1 factors in LEDs? Pretty sure efficacy and efficiency are valued about that.

We have an LED that is 2mm x 2mm and take 3 amps though.

I think it's put up or shut up time. Exactly where do you work bose301s?

Regardless of cost or wastefulness, They have clearly decided there are benefits to a round die, and have produced one.

If the consumers decide the benefits outweigh the costs, then it will be a success. If not, then not. Time will tell.

While you are welcome to your opinion, you're equally welcome to vote with your wallet. I will be voting with mine.
    Last edited by mvyrmnd; 05-25-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    I think it's put up or shut up time. Exactly where do you work bose301?
    That last one should have given it away, also makes 1000 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    That last one should have given it away, also makes 1000 lumens.
    I can guess, but you didn't answer my question.

I can guess, but you didn't answer my question.
    Not only did he not answer your question, he's completely derailed a thread that is about an emitter made by his competitors and I think it amounts to trolling at the very least.

This thread is not about anything other than the Luminus SBT-70 and all envious competitors need to start their own threads rather than trying to shut this one down.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I would love to see this LED put into an aspherical light. too bad luminous charges such a premium.

Craig

Really? Your company produces a 9mm LED that can take 9amps?

Have a link? If not, why are you here?
    Actually, Luminus makes a 9mm LED that can handle 13.5 amps. Well, a module anyways.

Since when were size and amperage the #1 factors in LEDs?
    Since....those are the engineering parameters of the customers buying Luminous chips because they can't use multip chip emitters because of uniformity/optical issues, and 2,500 or more lumens are mandatory to compete with discharge.. This is the third time I've stated this in this thread, so you obviously have a reading disorder, or are distracted by the stomps of billy goats on your roof.

The Martin MAC 350 uses *7* CBT-90's, and by using the SBT-70 they can probably cut the number of emitters used in newer models down to no more than 4. Matter of fact, I woulnd't doubt that Luminous specifically designed the SBT-70 on behalf of companies like Martin.

Well, the MT-G2 produces more lumens in a smaller package using less power.

On that end though, do you really want to argue that Luminus products are used in more lighting application than Cree is? If so you'll fail big time. Luminus is a small, niche player in a niche market, they're good at what they do but at a different level.

Well, the MT-G2 produces more lumens in a smaller package using less power.

On that end though, do you really want to argue that Luminus products are used in more lighting application than Cree is? If so you'll fail big time. Luminus is a small, niche player in a niche market, they're good at what they do but at a different level.
    If you are the face of Cree then I'm glad to see other manufacturers coming out with products for us who no longer will want to buy your emitters.

Samsung is coming on the scene and already sweeping CPF is a strong show of support for Nichia. These petty postings by you in this thread gives me the first feeling I've ever had of no longer wanting to buy Cree products. By the way, does your boss know you're giving their company this kind of PR?
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

At last check there were no hard data sheets for the MT-G2 I could find, but what is known is that it is likely a multi-chip emitter making it's inclusion into this thread irrelevant because it's not useable in the applications that Luminous chips are. I would explain why but you seem to replying from a distortion field of your own creation. Given the niche' player has their LED's used in $6,000 moving heads but not in $15 LED bulbs sold on E-bay from Chinese store-fronts I'd give Luminous a bit more respect.

I've also not seen hard numbers on the sales of Crees multi-chip arrays, other than hearing a lot of rumours that they are pretty lousy. Might be because they often cost 2x as much as competitors like Bridgelux per equivelant lumen while having only minor improvements in efficacy.

Someone should anonymously email a link to this thread to cree's PR department

Kaichu makes a good point... Every person who cares about the quality of the light coming from their flashlight is fitting Nichia 219's.

Even though every flashlight I own is currently using the 90-CRI XP-G, from now on they'll probably be Nichia based - unless Cree can pull their finger out and produce a proper High-CRI XM-L and not that dodgy high Vf multi-die monstrosity they have now.
    Last edited by mvyrmnd; 05-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    If you are the face of Cree then I'm glad to see other manufacturers coming out with products for us who no longer will want to buy your emitters.

Samsung is coming on the scene and already sweeping CPF is a strong show of support for Nichia. These petty postings by you in this thread gives me the first feeling I've ever had of no longer wanting to buy Cree products. By the way, does your boss know you're giving their company this kind of PR?
    That wasn't meant to be petty, it's true, Luminus' products are much more of a niche product, they don't have a lot of different things to fill a lot of markets, they concentrate on big single chips and get that market, they definitely know what they are doing as they are pretty much the only ones in that market.

At last check there were no hard data sheets for the MT-G2 I could find, but what is known is that it is likely a multi-chip emitter making it's inclusion into this thread irrelevant because it's not useable in the applications that Luminous chips are. I would explain why but you seem to replying from a distortion field of your own creation. Given the niche' player has their LED's used in $6,000 moving heads but not in $15 LED bulbs sold on E-bay from Chinese store-fronts I'd give Luminous a bit more respect.

I've also not seen hard numbers on the sales of Crees multi-chip arrays, other than hearing a lot of rumours that they are pretty lousy. Might be because they often cost 2x as much as competitors like Bridgelux per equivelant lumen while having only minor improvements in efficacy.
    Someone should anonymously email a link to this thread to cree's PR department

Kaichu makes a good point... Every person who cares about the quality of the light coming from their flashlight is fitting Nichia 219's.

Even though every flashlight I own is currently using the 90-CRI XP-G, from now on they'll probably be Nichia based - unless Cree can pull their finger out and produce a proper High-CRI XM-L and not that dodgy high Vf multi-die monstrosity they have now.
    I don't know why we don't make higher CRI single chips but I can guess. For all of our fixtures and things we use our TrueWhite technology which uses white LEDs in combination with red LEDs and a sensor that adjusts the mixture of the 2 which then goes through a lens that mixes/blends the light for a uniform color output. I think our goal is to try and license this tech to others and sell it in out modules as a lot of them employ this as well. You can get as high of a CRI as the Nichia chips then, but obviously it costs more so it would make us more money. I do wish we had high CRI components like the Nichia 219 though.

I will also apologize and say I could have been more tactful in this thread. I don't mean to put Luminus down, they make a good product. I am just really enthusiastic about what I do and the products we make. It is a very cool industry and a very cool product and I love being involved with it. If people have questions about stuff, how the process works etc. I would be happy to answer them. Also, please don't hold this against me, like I said, just came off wrong due to enthusiasm etc.

I will also apologize and say I could have been more tactful in this thread. I don't mean to put Luminus down, they make a good product. I am just really enthusiastic about what I do and the products we make. It is a very cool industry and a very cool product and I love being involved with it. If people have questions about stuff, how the process works etc. I would be happy to answer them. Also, please don't hold this against me, like I said, just came off wrong due to enthusiasm etc.
    All is well. We all tend to get carried away at times.

Cree, Luminous, Nichia, Seoul Semiconducter, Osram, Philips. Oh, all the cool choices.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post

Cree, Luminous, Nichia, Seoul Semiconducter, Osram, Philips. Oh, all the cool choices.

Craig
    Or neutral, or warm. Whatever floats your boat.

Or neutral, or warm. Whatever floats your boat.
    Neutral High CRI please.

Craig

Last edited by Silgt; 05-27-2012 at 05:16 AM.
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

Inappropriate place for this post. Use PM's. Post saved for record.

Bill
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 05-29-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Apparent OT offer.
    "And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. The greatest of these is love."

Love /verb/: Giving what is needed to those who need it because you care

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    All is well. We all tend to get carried away at times.

Craig
    Good, glad you guys worked the disagreements out, without Mod intervention.

Bill

I've been scouting the regular suppliers and the luminus site for more info or even supply of these new LEDs. Has anyone been lucky and has already acquired one of these babies ?

Yeah, nothing on the Luminous site about the chip. Chauvet has released some new fixtures based on a 75watt / 17amp chip, but it's not specific as to what type. I suspect it's the one.

Yeah, nothing on the Luminous site about the chip. Chauvet has released some new fixtures based on a 75watt / 17amp chip, but it's not specific as to what type. I suspect it's the one.
    In the PDF press release, it says that the lighting products will become available in Q3 of this year, which begins around now . 17amps is a lot for, what I suspect is a 7mm2 LED. The CBT-90 (at the top of my head) is specced to 13.5A. But with the copper core board technology, overdriving is allways possible.

I hope it is specced to ~10A, whould be nice in high powered flashlinhts .

Nice beam pattern, looking forward to this one :-).

Yeah, looks good for my needs.

Thought you might like this close up I just took of the SBT-70.

It appears they manufacture the chips as normal and then ablate the excess active region.

Just wait until you guys get a load of the CBT-140. That will be a powerhouse for sure.
    Last edited by saabluster; 08-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.

I can see how the circular LED could end up with a lot of waste UNLESS the dies are cut from a rod instead of from a wafer. However, if a wafer is used, a hexagonal die would have comparable optical properties to a circular die, but with zero wasted wafer area.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post

Just wait until you guys get a load of the CBT-140. That will be a powerhouse for sure.
    CBT-140 don't have white, only RGB - unless I'm missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast