Battery Junction

Thread: Help me choose an EDC :)

Enlightened

Exclamation Help me choose an EDC :)

I'm looking for a light with these features:

- Something compact but with power and throw.
    - 1 AA
    - I prefer neutral white
    - $60 Max preferably $50
    - Durable - doesn't break easily
    - High quality aluminum like the ones used on Fenix and 4Sevens lights.

Thanks for helping!

Default Re: Help me choose an EDC :)

eagletac D25 A clicky with XP-G R4

Looks like it should be in the recommendation subforum. That might get you more input.

Just a couple bucks over your max is the Zebralight SC51. They do a pretty good job of milking the max power out of a AA form factor without using 14500 but aren't all that throwy.
    “The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Xeno E03 v.3 with neutral white XM-L T5 for $33 before delivery. Red, blue or black. Screams on a 14500, but does well on regular AAs. Three modes, medium, low, high and it's got a G.I.D. tailcap boot and lens o-ring, for a nice added touch. You need to get the pocket clip as an 'extra', but that's no bother.

I've been carrying one in blue and it's a nice little light. I want an EagleTac, or ShiningBeam next, the latter being a 123 format.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Flashaholic*

Photon Proton Pro.

Tiny bit above max $. Personally had one of the earlier generation ones and gifted to son a couple years ago. It is still going strong ;~)

http://www.lumapower.com/77.html

Lightbulb Re: Help me choose an EDC :)

if you want cheap get an Olight i2 EOS. it's an ultracompact AA twisty w/ 3 levels. nice secure clip. tailstands. very very useful 2 lumen low. 80 lumen max on nimh. no memory so it always predictably turns on at low which is good.

put in a 14500 and you more than double the output at max, yet low and med pretty much stay the same.

or spend a lot more on a sunwayman v10a. very nice magnetic control ring lets you dial in from an ultra-low sub-lumen low to a 400+ lumens on the XM-L version when using 14500.

The 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA with a 14500 is pretty damn bright, has a beam pattern much more to my preference than lights costing hundred$ more, is incredibly compact (almost smaller than the battery itself!) and has three very useful ranges of output for $40.

Check it out.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Whizz down to your local diy shed outlet,pay a few $$ and you are a light owner simples.

Flashaholic*

JetBeam PA10 - XM-L T6: 140 lumens but 650 with 14500 (turbo only) which will give you a very good throw for a light of this size.
    Fenix LD10 - XP-G R5: rated at 100 lumens but independent reviews rate it over 140 lumens. Can take a 14500 but only works on turbo.
    Klarus XT1A - XP-G R5: 150 rated lumens and won't take 14500.

Jetbeam BA10 is a good thrower but not very compact. I like the forward switch and the feel of durability.
    Thrunite T10 is super compact but not a great thrower. I like the moonlight mode and the memory.

Those are two of my favorite AA EDC lights, and both have proven their durability to me over time.

+1 for the Zebralight SC51w

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post
    +1 for the Zebralight SC51w
    ...and I'll see you another +1 for the SC51w!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by pobox1475 View Post
    +1 Quarks make excellent EDC's! Never leave home without at least one of these in my pocket!

Fenix LD12&LD10 may meet your need.