Malkoff or nailbender? Nichia 219 P60 drop-ins

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've got a spare g2 nitrolon and I want to put a high cri module in it. Im looking at either Malkoff or nailbender to make the Nichia 219 module. The question is which brand?

I see that nailbender is about half the price at just $35 and Malkoff is about $65 or so on illumination supply, but is there any real difference other than price between the two?

Im comparing the nailbender Nichia at 1 Level 4-14 volts / 1.5 amp to the Malkoff M61 219 at one level 3.4-9 volts.

Thoughts?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Malkoff from Craig at illumination supply, and also one from the guy in Seattle vinhnguyen54, I saw his post prior to Nailbenders.

Why both? I like the rock solid reliability of Malkoff, with the hi/lo ring in a MD2. Rock solid. But I also like multi level drop-ins, so I bought the second one.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but my $0.02 worth.

If you really want to go nuts, multi-level, milti-LED. There is a member in Australia who is building a triple Nichia 219. Choice of 2 different drivers, varying drive levels and different optics. I'm not in business with him - other than as a customer. I like the triple L/M/H 5% / 30% /100%, going up I usually stop at 30%. I work in industry, so I don't need a tactical BRIGHT right now.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have both. As far as the underlying module, the obvious advantage Nailbender offers is multi-mode drop-ins. But since you are asking to compare the 1 Level version, that is a non-issue between the two. By the way, that high voltage module would only be good for multiple cells, especially multiple Li-Ions, so I assume you don't want to run 1x18650, or any single cell format. Also, bear in mind if you opt to drive the LED as hard as it can handle, which is the 1.5 Amps you mention, you won't have a good thermal path in the G2. A M61L would be a better choice than the full-power M61, and Nailbender can provide similar slightly reduced output single level drivers that are safe for extended runs in the G2. For shorter runs, you should be OK, say 10 or 15 minutes max. This is another strong case for the multi-mode in the G2, as you can still get good output on medium, and not worry about heat, and have high for shorter bursts.

The big functional difference is beam. The Malkoff is a real flooder, HUGE hotspot. More like a "hot area". The reflectors that Nailbender uses will give way more throw, although not still in the class of a throw specific light, just a more typical beam with a mix of good throw and a usable spill. The Malkoff is the unusual beam, being as floody as it is. You will hear about a dark ring at the outside of the spill on the Malkoff, and it is there, but in that location, it does not seem to bother anyone, me included. Nailbender's reflectors do not generate a noticeable ring like this. So if you are clearing rooms, doing close work, or walking in the woods where you need to see a broad area in front of you, the Malkoff should work very well. If you ever have need to reach a bit further, the tighter beam of the Nailbender would be the way to go.

As far as the build, the Malkoffs are no doubt more bomb-proof. But if you opt for the thermal epoxy potting for an extra $5 on the Nailbender, I doubt you will ever be able to destroy it, including when mounted to heavy recoiling weapons (i.e. 12 ga. shotgun).

So for me, I like the option of the Malkoff flood, and I have the MD2 light with 2-mode ring so I at least have one lower mode. I like the three mode option on the Nailbender myself, and I also have the advantage of quite a bit more reach, at the cost of close-in versatility.

af112566

Newly Enlightened
i dont have the nichia 219 malkoff,but i do have alot of different m61's.i orderd the nail bender and the vinhn nichia 219's and couldnt be happier.i like the larger reflector these multi mode designs offer.they have a tighter hot spot,better throw but still good spill.and with the vinh drop in you can get a moon mode.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If you've never owned a Malkoff, you should really try one.

If you're using a G2 as a host, you should probably get a lower output drop-in than the ones you're considering. The Malkoff will be able to absorb more heat, simply because there is more metal in the construction, but I would still recommend the M61L 219.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Both of these makers/vendors are great people, and I like them both, on a personal level. Either one I am proud to have my money go to.

That said, Nailbender's modules are more "custom", and I have found the output to be more impressive at every turn of the way. He also offers more tint options.

I just ordered 2 Nichia's from him. I can whole-heartedly recommend both of these people and their products, having owned both. I do, however, find myself in Nailbender's camp, when it comes to product for MY wants.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot go wrong with any of these builders. All of them make good modules. For a G2, my pic would be a M61L series for alot more runtime and less heat build up. You should still end up around a 100 lumens of output which is plenty of light for most situations.

notsofast

Enlightened
Looks like your questions about the difference has been answered. I have owned products from both parties and the descriptions posted are spot on.

My experience dealing with nailbender on a problem I caused was way above my expectations. Feel confident dealing with this upstanding module builder.

While I don't have any warranty experience with Malkoff there are many documented positive cases.

You will be happy with your choice of either maker.

bronzet

Newly Enlightened
I was dissappinted with Malkoff when i had issues with their dropin (M91).Their products are good but would rather deal with a company that would respond to emails.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nailbender or VinhNyugen will be a little brighter and throw a little further than the Malkoff. I just got my Malkoff M61 219 and comparing it too my othe 219 p60 it's a more pleasant balance between flood and throw. Good for lighting the area your in, I have it in a 6P defender and love it. If you want simple and reliable buy Malkoff. For throw, saving money or multiple modes is what you prefer, than the go with NB or Vinh. If you want all flood, no throw, get a Nailbender 219 linger special and a diffuser lens :thumbsup:

If you haven't guessed yet I bought one of each ;)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a NB Linger Special 219 that I run in a 6P with an LDF lens. Pure flood. But it's the whitest, most pleasant looking tint I've seen in that cool of an led. I have a Malkoff 219 on the way. I'll try and compare.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Looks like the OP went with a 2-level dual 219 from Nailbender back in July:
NB, I'm ready to order a dual nichia linger special, can I do:
DUAL Nichia (Linger Special)$45 2 level high/low? with potting? what amperage level should I get?
this'll go in 6Ps and a 26650 host by FM, so it'll be going between whatever I want it in, ya know
either way, we're looking at $50 total, correct?

Shrigg

Newly Enlightened
The big functional difference is beam. The Malkoff is a real flooder, HUGE hotspot. More like a "hot area". The reflectors that Nailbender uses will give way more throw, although not still in the class of a throw specific light, just a more typical beam with a mix of good throw and a usable spill. The Malkoff is the unusual beam, being as floody as it is. You will hear about a dark ring at the outside of the spill on the Malkoff, and it is there, but in that location, it does not seem to bother anyone, me included. Nailbender's reflectors do not generate a noticeable ring like this. So if you are clearing rooms, doing close work, or walking in the woods where you need to see a broad area in front of you, the Malkoff should work very well. If you ever have need to reach a bit further, the tighter beam of the Nailbender would be the way to go.

As far as the build, the Malkoffs are no doubt more bomb-proof. But if you opt for the thermal epoxy potting for an extra $5 on the Nailbender, I doubt you will ever be able to destroy it, including when mounted to heavy recoiling weapons (i.e. 12 ga. shotgun).
So for me, I like the option of the Malkoff flood, and I have the MD2 light with 2-mode ring so I at least have one lower mode. I like the three mode option on the Nailbender myself, and I also have the advantage of quite a bit more reach, at the cost of close-in versatility.

i dont have the nichia 219 malkoff,but i do have alot of different m61's.i orderd the nail bender and the vinhn nichia 219's and couldnt be happier.i like the larger reflector these multi mode designs offer.they have a tighter hot spot,better throw but still good spill.and with the vinh drop in you can get a moon mode.

Is that the "Textured" Nailbender reflector for Nichia 219 that is so well-liked? Or is there no choice of reflector for these?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender does have smooth reflector options, but mine have the light to medium orange peel texture. It still has a much tighter spot than the Malkoff.

N/Apower

Enlightened
So I've got a spare g2 nitrolon and I want to put a high cri module in it. Im looking at either Malkoff or nailbender to make the Nichia 219 module. The question is which brand?

I see that nailbender is about half the price at just $35 and Malkoff is about $65 or so on illumination supply, but is there any real difference other than price between the two?

Im comparing the nailbender Nichia at 1 Level 4-14 volts / 1.5 amp to the Malkoff M61 219 at one level 3.4-9 volts.

Thoughts?

Nailbender drives them harder. I like his better for the Nichia, as it's "dim", anyway. The Malkoff is worth the price difference in raw materials.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a M61 (or similar output) module work well in a nitrolon body? I thought that Gene recommended M61L for nitrolon lights. I'm using the M61L in a 6P and really like it; I have no experience with NB or VN but they both seem to have excellent reps here.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a M61 (or similar output) module work well in a nitrolon body? I thought that Gene recommended M61L for nitrolon lights. I'm using the M61L in a 6P and really like it; I have no experience with NB or VN but they both seem to have excellent reps here.

I have a M61 219 in a G2 host but aluminum bezel & it works well even with long run time, up till 20mins...
I have very good experience with Vinh & I can only say that he does wonder & his after sales service is one of the best I've seen.

- JonK

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this thread is over a year old, tobrien likely already made his decision.

So what did you decide on, and what do you think of it?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this thread is over a year old, tobrien likely already made his decision.

So what did you decide on, and what do you think of it?

went with both :)

you can't beat either. if you need that brass casing and wider voltage range/tolerance, get a Malkoff I guess, but Nailbender is great price-wise and can do different modes if you need them!

haha it's crazy this thread has almost 3,000 views. i guess a bunch of people wanted to know!