Handheld, battery-free host for a 100w hid mod?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone

I want to build a HID spotlight setup with a separated belt carried battery pack, and a lightweight handheld spotlight with a 100w hid that has long throw.

What I need is a easy to carry setup which allow long continuous usage time, using a cyclops 18mcp will be just too heavy to carry. I plan to run a utility belt carrying two or maybe more 4s2p packs, 8400mah each, running a 2' coiled cable to power the handheld unit. With the option to run directly from a 12v source. All I need now is the housing.

I found a few but they are either too expensive, not enough throw or would not handle the heat of a 100w hid.

Something like this,but not as expensive, of course.

$(KGrHqUOKj0E5,vtJom4BOd5tPi-ig~~60_35.JPG

Batteries will be carried in a utility belt like this:
ninja-utility-belt.jpg

51zjeowdJjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Enough space to carry "spare" or "backup" flashlights :naughty:

Experts makers of hid spotlights, please chime in!!

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
The 84 Watt Blitz's I built are tremendous throwers but even they are subject to heat issues after 30 to 45 minutes of continuous "testing" use. Of course, in those tests I've done, the light is pretty much static in my garage so if you were using it outside, constantly moving it around and the night temps were relatively low, that would be a different story. Kicking it up another 15 Watts is just going to create more heat. If you've not personally seen an 85 watt Blitz in action, then it's difficult to grasp its output. It does a fantastic job with flood while doing a phenomenal job at throwing a very narrow beam a very far distance. You might consider using the 240 Blitz host, and not only using the waist belt for the batteries, but also for a 75 Watt ballast and simply run the high Voltage cables and trigger switch wires into the handle and to the bulb in a nice loom. You'd have an ultra-lightweight light in your hand that's not going to cause fatigue and huge amounts of flood and throw. You can buy 30 and 40KV rated, silicone jacketed wire at McMaster Carr relatively cheap.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your blitz build is very impressive... It gave me the idea to do something similar, to have a battery box under the handle. I have a few question regarding using the 240:

1. How difficult it was to fit the bulb? I see you had to use some spacer rings. Bulb type is H1?
2. What do you think about the lightforce 170 in terms of throw and portability?

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I looked at an "H" base pictorial guide and the bulb I used does not look like any of them, including the H1. It's got a huge ceramic, cylindrical base around 7/8" in diameter and I bought some high heat bushings from McMaster Carr and bored them out with the closest, very large drill bit and then finished sizing it by hand. Then, where the OEM rivet is, I drilled it out and drilled and tapped the bushing for a small set screw to hold the bulb in-place. I got the bulb from member "Lips". I've not seen or held the smaller Lightforce light so I can't render an opinion. The 240 is a known quantity and has a tremendous reflector.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well im not realy "skillful" in DIY, and that adapter of yours looks a bit complicated for me to fabricate. After a bit of research I found this adapter made by an AU company for about $30. It supossedly fits an H3 bulb into the lightforce 240 blitz automotive mount version (which I believe is he same as the handheld).

scaled.php

I contacted them to see if they still carry this adapter.

Also this aluminium box seem to fit 2x 4s2p 8400mah packs perfectly and looks quite solid. 100w ballast should be mounted outside. I actually ditched the original belt carried battery pack and leaning towards a build like yours.
41KguUGdFhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
The adapter looks great! As I've said before, I was never all that happy with the looks of mine but it functioned. If you are planning prolonged use, I think the weight and somewhat awkward balance of this style will be fatiguing for your hand and arms.