Broken Trustfirei

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
I have a Trustfire XM-L 3800 and only used a few times. I used on a dog walk and after 15 just stopped working. Batteries are fine....what has broken? There seems to be no product support available!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have a Trustfire XM-L 3800 and only used a few times. I used on a dog walk and after 15 just stopped working. Batteries are fine....what has broken? There seems to be no product support available!

They are disposable...just get a few at a time, like a book of matches.

:D

Seriously, you'd need to give more details to tell what went wrong, it could be almost anything, except maybe the cells, or, maybe it IS the cells if they are also _____Fire, etc....as they may have voltage, but too much internal resistance to flow enough to power the light, etc.

What were your test results so far on the cells, and light?

Do you have a multimeter?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Welcome to the club Jono2323. Have you tried bypassing the tailcap switch with a wire? As in removing the tailcap and connecting a wire from the negative end of the battery to the metal of the body to see if it's a bad switch? If that doesn't work, it may be the batteries, or something wrong w/ the driver/led asembly. I had the same model, and after an 18 inch vertical drop onto my carpet, it stopped working. And it wasn't the tailcap switch. I tossed the whole light. Lost $56 worth. I don't trust Trustfire anymore...

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
I don't have testing equipment, but I can try the wire suggestion to see if it's the switch. I note, however, that I did not damage the unit...it just stopped working while walking. Would a switch just fail like that?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check to see if the ring inside the switch is tight. It can be tightened with tweezers or long nose pliers. Clean all points of contact. Check the switch as described above. Unscrew the head and look for bad solder joints, reflow if necessary.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I also noticed that when I tried first tried to use this light w/ some Trust of Ultrafire 4000 mAH 18650s, it would only work for 10-15 seconds; then it'd shut off. After reading about batteries and their current/amps deliveries, I discovered some lights work better w/ IMR type batteries; so I only use AW IMR 18650, 14500, and 16340 batteries. I don't mind the slightly lower capacities. I like the ability to deliver HEAVY currents/draw w/out breaking a sweat!
I don't have testing equipment, but I can try the wire suggestion to see if it's the switch. I note, however, that I did not damage the unit...it just stopped working while walking. Would a switch just fail like that?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Check to see if the ring inside the switch is tight. It can be tightened with tweezers or long nose pliers. Clean all points of contact. Check the switch as described above. Unscrew the head and look for bad solder joints, reflow if necessary.

+1 I had a bunch of UltraFire 50x that intermittently didn't work. It came down to a loose tailcap switch. The action of screwing/unscrewing the tailcap for a battery change loosened the switch.

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
I tried the suggestion of the wire from negative terminal to metal body and nothing happened. I am a newbie...how do I test the batteries next?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way is to replace the batteries with known good batteries. You can also check the voltage, but.... I've had batteries come off the charger at 4.2v and would not light some LEDs. I noted the brand (****Fire) and tossed 'em.

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
I guess I will buy a pair and try them. If that does not work....do I just have a paperweight? Also, if I was thinking of a replacement, what is as bright in the same price class (i.e. $60) that would be a good replacement?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago I had a similar light that would not work. I bought the LEDs and lens from....(insert Chinese dealer here) and it's worked fine. It wasn't an XML but.... the replacement parts worked fine, and were not expensive.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it turns out to be a dud then I can with conscience recommend a Solarforce flashlight. Surefire copies they may be but still possesing of an acceptable standard of quality. I own two myself and always go to them first as a budget minded high-power light. If you go to their website (they are in China) you can find several options for well under $60 even after shipping costs. The state-side dealers don't usually have very many of the "turn-key" models but Lighthound has most of the parts to fix one up the way you want it.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll echo the suggestion for a SolarForce, I have several and all are well made & rugged, plus the P60 compatibility is very useful. If the 3800 stays dead you can always invest in a Rat Shack soldering iron and a few simple tools and try your hand at modding the light so it will work.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Have to agree with lightfooted. I've got a couple and the quality is quite good for the price. My opinion is based on only 2 Solarforce bodies. I purchased a L2P and a L2 and put a Thrunite and Dereelight dropin in each respectively. If I recall correctly the L2P cost approximately $20 and the dropin about $30. The L2 was $10 and dropin $25. These were bought when XP-G was the latest Cree emitter on the market.

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
Another related newbie question: if it turns out that there is a short and I need a bulb replacement, it would seem that I could pick one up for about $25-30. Does it pay for me to get one (i.e. a Trustfire replacement) or is there a compatable but more reputable replacement that would fit the assembly?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not up for going all out and repairing the light properly, I don't think you should buy a replacement part. It's just as likely the replacement would have just the same problem as the original light.

These generic lights can be good and reliable, but they almost always have to be made that way. This means completely disassembling them cleaning all contact surfaces, soldering any dodgy joints. And even redoing the thermal compound under each led star for better thermal performance for long term reliability. I've even gond so far as to taking the clicky switches apart and cleaning the contacts and soldering electrical paths solid on the clickies. If you're not willing to do these things, don't buy these lights. And definitely don't try buying replacement parts, they're of no better quality, so what would be the point?

spc smith

Enlightened
Jono2323,

Do yourself a favor and start by throwing that piece of crapfire to the curb, and check out shiningbeam.com. CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME BUT its something like romisen RCT6 using the xml U2 emitter purporting 750 OTF lumens right around $34 USD.

fyrstormer

Banned
If you're not up for going all out and repairing the light properly, I don't think you should buy a replacement part. It's just as likely the replacement would have just the same problem as the original light.

These generic lights can be good and reliable, but they almost always have to be made that way. This means completely disassembling them cleaning all contact surfaces, soldering any dodgy joints. And even redoing the thermal compound under each led star for better thermal performance for long term reliability. I've even gond so far as to taking the clicky switches apart and cleaning the contacts and soldering electrical paths solid on the clickies. If you're not willing to do these things, don't buy these lights. And definitely don't try buying replacement parts, they're of no better quality, so what would be the point?
This.

The extra cost of a well-made light almost always goes towards paying for careful assembly. The parts usually aren't significantly better in quality, just better-finished and better-assembled. The parts are all made by machines nowadays, and there's almost no money to be saved by making cheaper parts, only by telling the employees to skip cleaning the threads or waiting for the epoxy to set before continuing the assembly process.

loquutis79

Enlightened
I would not suggest the Romisen product, sorry spc smith. Huge amount of lumen and really good throw, can't tell the difference between it and my Fenix TK35 but I bet money my Fenix will be around much longer. I already know of one Romisen RC-T602 failure. One out of three I ordered for some co-workers and I.

In fareness though, he might have dropped his battery in backwards and toasted it, so not really the lights fault. But where is the battery reversal protection?

Same a few bucks and get something with a better rep. Look around here and you will find many brands which are very well built but will not cost you an arm and a leg. I know the budget route is tempting, but there is usually a reason they are budget.