M7R Power output/options

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
Hi, looking to take the plunge with the Led Lenser M7R...I've tried a fenix TK41 and unless the AOD-L Diffuser fixes my problem with lack of flood (to be tested tonight), I'll be going with the M7R.

2 reasons: 1 - I really miss the adjustable flood/throw beam. I appreciate this puts me in the minority on here, though for camping/festival use an even flood is much more preferable. I did consider a Nitecore TM11 though the expense to give me the torch and spare batteries renders it too much.

2 - The M7R is rechargeable by USB, and as such I intend to get a portable power supply, like this one (uk amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004CHMP50/ ) it's a 11000mah portable power source, usually used to recharge phones, but I was hoping it could also be used to charge a M7R.

Does anyone know firstly how many mah's are in a standard M7R battery (apparently a ICR18650), and are there any bottlenecks (as I'm not too up on amps/voltage) that I should be aware of that renders this option inoperable?

Eventually, I assume the included (and removeable) internal ICR18650 battery will lose some of it's usefulness (not least of all owing to the fact the charging will be done via the flashlight, and not a dedicated 'decent' charger.

What's the difference between a normal 18650 (say, by AW or eagletec) and an ICR 18650? It's it lenser being, well, lenser by stating that only "Led Lenser ICR 18650" batteries are to be used in this light?

Thanks in advance

(Apologies if these are newb's questions...I promise I've searched this place extensively for answers to the above, though couldn't find an exact response. Love this place though! Every industry/hobby needs a CPF!)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the M7R's 18650, but I own the M7R's little brother, the P5R. It came with an "LED Lenser" 14500 cell that's maybe 1.5mm longer than 50mm and essentially a flattop. Other 14500 cells (AW regular and AW IMR) fit the P5R, but the P5R's cell is too long or too odd to work in my Peak. I would be fairly sure that the M7R will work just fine with at least 90 percent of the 18650 cells on the market, and even with a 168A cell from Wolf Eyes or Pila.

BTW, I love my P5R. Its output is tremendous, and so is its versatility. The magnetic charger is fun to use. The P5R replaced my Romisen RC-29 II as my trouser pocket EDC light. It also replaced it as "the light that satisfied me so thoroughly that I quit checking in on CPF for months."

Dan W

Newly Enlightened
Thank's all for the responses.

Having opened it, I was pretty disappointed with the build quality (head moved far too freely) and the beam rings. After comparing the light to my TK41 (which I know it'd never beat, but still...), I sent it back to the store.

cccpull

Enlightened
Thank's all for the responses.

Having opened it, I was pretty disappointed with the build quality (head moved far too freely) and the beam rings. After comparing the light to my TK41 (which I know it'd never beat, but still...), I sent it back to the store.

Well if you live in the States, and are still looking for a flood/throw beam, you might want to check out the Coast HP7, it has a very nice clean flood beam, it's $50, and you can walk into a Lowe's and buy it, if you don't like it you can return it without hassle.

If you're ordering online you might also consider the Coast HP14.

Last edited: