Battery Junction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

Default Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

Official specifications:
    • Protected Panasonic 18650 NCR18650A: 3100mAh 3.6V - 3.6V storage charge
    • Cell: Panasonic NCR18650A - 3100mAh
    • Typical Capacity: 3100mAh - Discharge:0.2CmA
    • Minimum Capacity: 2950mAh
    • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V - 3.7V - 0.025V
    • Full Charge voltage: 4.2V
    • Max. working discharge current: 6.2A - 0C to +40C
    • Max. discharge current: 8.5A - 0C to +40C
    • Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.5V
    • PCM Over charge Protection: 4.325 0.025V
    • PCM Over discharge protection: 2.5V 0.025V
    • PCM Over current protection: 11A 0.3A
    • Storage Temperature: -20C to +60C - Less than 1 month
    • Storage Temperature: -20C to +45C - Less than 3 months
    • Weight: 48.5 g - 1.71 oz
    • Size: 68.9mm(H) * 18.4mm(D)
    • Bottom plate: Copper
    • Max charge current: 1C - 3.1A
    • Recommended charge current: .3C - 0.9A

The cell used can be discharged down to 2.5 volt, in my test I only discharges to 2.8 volt, i.e. I do not measure the full capacity. But then, not all lights will be able to use the full capacity.

Conclusion

This battery uses a good cell, this secures many things:
    • The batteries does match in capacity, i.e. they can be used in series.
    • The battery is very safe.
    • The battery has the specified capacity.

There is not anything to say about this battery except it is a very good battery.

Notes and links

The batteries was supplied by Orbtronic for review.

How is the test done and how to read the charts
    How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
    More about button top and flat top batteries
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Default Re: Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

i have two of these and they're solid batteries.

I wish though that the button top was more pronounced/prominent. otherwise I don't have any complaints
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Thanks again... I been waiting for it...
    Last edited by Changchung; 05-16-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

Good review, and results very much as I expected. Will the new USPS regulations have an impact on the sale of these cells outside the US? I suspect they might.

Enlightened

Thanks for the review HKJ. I have been waiting for your test. Unfortunately, the price will now be increased.

Quote Originally Posted by dbare View Post
    Unfortunately, the price will now be increased.
    dang youre right, it's gone up by $2
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

yup! back to AW's!

Thanks for the review HKJ. I have been waiting for your test. Unfortunately, the price will now be increased.
    I just see that... For that price I choice the AW

SFMI4UT
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600

It's funny, but I was on their site this morning and watching their ad on Ebay today. Their prices were $13.91 and $13.99 respectively this morning. I saw HKJ's review and went back to their website and in the middle of me mulling over the price, it changed to $14.99 and then the Ebay ad changed as well.

Can't blame them for that, as the product seems to test out well and after all, this is America, so why not get a buck or two more?

I ended up ordering a pair of their unprotected Pannie 3100s to fiddle with, but I'm now looking at their 840 mAh Sanyo 14500s and might be ordering a quad for my Xeno EO3 down the road.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Flashaholic

I just see that... For that price I choice the AW
    Perhaps, but Orbtronic is apparently able to override the natural laws which govern the USPS. I ordered three of these cells Saturday the 12th (For 12.99 each btw). They traveled from central Florida to Nebraska first class mail (Not express or even priority) and were waiting for me when I got home from work Monday. WOW!

I have one in my EagleTac D25LC2 ... running fine. (I bought mine recently for $12.99 plus free s/h. Got it at the right time!)

Thinking Re: Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

aaaahhhhh okay.... so I too checked out Orb's ebay page yesterday, with $14.99 as the price. So why..just NOW..does it have $1,499.00 as the price ... with more than 10 available. Is that a goof... or are they now selling them gold-plated .

Quote Originally Posted by Quest4fire View Post
    Perhaps, but Orbtronic is apparently able to override the natural laws which govern the USPS. I ordered three of these cells Saturday the 12th (For 12.99 each btw). They traveled from central Florida to Nebraska first class mail (Not express or even priority) and were waiting for me when I got home from work Monday. WOW!
    You are a lucky guy... I was waiting for this review, now I will past, I will preffer the AW instead.

BTW is not a big deal about the li-ion batteries shipping new law, the batteries must be shipped in a very safe way, very protected, well packaged and write outside what is the contained.

SFMI4UT

Quote Originally Posted by RBWNY View Post
    aaaahhhhh okay.... so I too checked out Orb's ebay page yesterday, with $14.99 as the price. So why..just NOW..does it have $1,499.00 as the price ... with more than 10 available. Is that a goof... or are they now selling them gold-plated .
    Funny thing you said it because I just added 4 in my cart, and when I'm about to pay I realize $6,000 is a bit steep for 4x 18650s.

BTW there is this "Keeppower 3100 mah 18650" which appears in the HKJ battery review thread and did on par with other NCR based protected cells. At $11.50 each it is worth considering.
    Last edited by richardcpf; 05-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardcpf View Post

BTW there is this "Keeppower 3100 mah 18650" which appears in the HKJ battery review thread and did on par with other NCR based protected cells. At $11.50 each it is worth considering.
    I've been trying to find these since HKJ's review some weeks back, but haven't seen them anywhere for sale. Where did you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
    I've been trying to find these since HKJ's review some weeks back, but haven't seen them anywhere for sale. Where did you find them?
    In the largest online marketplace

There's no problem naming the supplier, just don't link.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
    According to Keeppower, it is possible to buy directly from them.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Ah, thank you HKJ. After your review I emailed them and it seemed that they only dealt in wholesale numbers. I'll have a look. Sorry to go off topic slightly.

Woops, missed that when I looked some weeks back. Just found it - thanks.

Flashaholic

It is funny

Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

To make this even funnier worst 18650 performer in HKJ tests was AW 3100 mah cell

Quote Originally Posted by space-cowboy View Post
    It is funny

Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

To make this even funnier worst 18650 performer in HKJ tests was AW 3100 mah cell
    Hahaha I had not realized that... In my case I will preffer those for the size...

Edit; the redilast too. The eagletac is shorter...

SFMI4UT
    Last edited by Changchung; 05-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.

It is funny

Well sometimes people prefer to buy a more expensive product because they trust the brand and costumer service. AW is a very trusted name and the general consensus of this forum when it comes to li-ion batteries. The advantage of the keeppower and orbtronic over AW cells are minimal, and perhaps unnoticeable in real life usage. I used to be a AW-only battery guy, but now that I fully understand how Li-ion cells works I strictly use Japan-Made unprotected cells, because they fit in all flashlights, has no discharge limit, and I can fully drain it or even quick charge in case of an emergency. The NCR cell can be discharged to 2.5v without fatal consequences, and most flashlight don't reach that low.

But in my personal opinion, AW and redilast cells are a bit expensive compared to the other high quality options available today. Keeppwer and orbtronic can be found about $15 a cell in ebay for those who want to know.

Flashaholic

Well sometimes people prefer to buy a more expensive product because they trust the brand and costumer service. AW is a very trusted name and the general consensus of this forum when it comes to li-ion batteries. The advantage of the keeppower and orbtronic over AW cells are minimal, and perhaps unnoticeable in real life usage. I used to be a AW-only battery guy, but now that I fully understand how Li-ion cells works I strictly use Japan-Made unprotected cells, because they fit in all flashlights, has no discharge limit, and I can fully drain it or even quick charge in case of an emergency. The NCR cell can be discharged to 2.5v without fatal consequences, and most flashlight don't reach that low.
    I agree with Richard.

Buy a name-brand" quality 18650 unprotected cell tested to U.L.1641

and you will have a more reliable power source,

with less Internal Resistance.

LEDite
    Last edited by LEDite; 05-17-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    UV Lights, Panasonic 3400mah #18650 cells available

Flashaholic*

It is funny [...]Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

There is nothing funny about being a fan of AW.

What is funny is you quoting 24 dollars a cell when they are 19.75 direct from AW.

More seriously... AW has been around a long time and for a long time was one of the few reliable sources of good quality protected cells. AW remains one of the few reliable sources of a wide variety of cells ranging from quality Japanese made 18650's to IMR cells in various formats to LiFePO4 to unprotected cells in 16 and 18mm.

I've continued to buy from AW because I'm thankful that we've had a supplier willing to go the distance to support high end flashlight users. He carries a broad product line. If I "overpay" a few dollars to be honest I really don't care.

There is more competition these days in higher quality protected cells. Just a couple years ago you had AW, and the newcomer Redilast, and very little else. Back then if you wanted something less expensive you travelled far down the ladder some distance to Trustfire (which seemed to morph into DisTrustFire), and far down the scale a whole bunch you found various other HouseFire cell marketers. These days there is more choice when it comes to 18650 Panasonic based protected cells. Probably this will drive prices down overall; hopefully this won't drive selection down.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    What is funny is you quoting 24 dollars a cell when they are 19.75 direct from AW.
    It is difficult to compare prices, both your price of 19.75 and space-cowboy's price of 24 is mostly wrong. The difference is shipping, some dealers has free shipping for some location, other takes money depending on number of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    There is nothing funny about being a fan of AW.

More seriously... AW has been around a long time and for a long time was one of the few reliable sources of good quality protected cells. AW remains one of the few reliable sources of a wide variety of cells ranging from quality Japanese made 18650's to IMR cells in various formats to LiFePO4 to unprotected cells in 16 and 18mm.

I've continued to buy from AW because I'm thankful that we've had a supplier willing to go the distance to support high end flashlight users. He carries a broad product line. If I "overpay" a few dollars to be honest I really don't care.

There is more competition these days in higher quality protected cells. Just a couple years ago you had AW, and the newcomer Redilast, and very little else. Back then if you wanted something less expensive you travelled far down the ladder some distance to Trustfire (which seemed to morph into DisTrustFire), and far down the scale a whole bunch you found various other HouseFire cell marketers. These days there is more choice when it comes to 18650 Panasonic based protected cells. Probably this will drive prices down overall; hopefully this won't drive selection down.
    Good points.

In just the last few months, we've had EagleTacs (which I bought 2 of last month), Orbtronics and now KeepPower. Throw in International-Outdoors and you've got 4 new players who's cells test out well according to HKJ.

The big question will be whether they bump up their prices, as Orbtronics did on Thursday (after HKJ's reivew hit this site), or whether AW, CalliesKustom and Redilast come back down a little bit to be more competitive.

For protected 18650 users, these are good times.

FWIW, I picked up 2 Pannie NCR 3100 unprotected cells from Orbtronics on Tuesday and they arrived today. For $19 delivered, they charged up to 4.19v on my WP2 II charger a few hours ago and I can't complain.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDite View Post
    I agree with Richard.

Buy a name-brand" quality 18650 unprotected cell tested to U.L.1641

and you will have a more reliable power source,

with less Internal Resistance.

LEDite
    Interesting.
    I guess I'll be purchasing Panasonic's unprotected 18650 from now on.
    Save myself some dough: One AW vs. Two unprotected Panny's
    Good point.. most flashlight's wont work below 2.8v anyway

Insider information removed AGAIN. Final warning RF UK
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 05-19-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Price is now $15.91. Up by almost three dollars prior to being reviewed, right? That's terrible kind of how they're upping the price now that they're getting positive reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast