• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

First post/ McGizmo questions

mostel california

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
My name is Mostel and I have been lurking here a while. My brief light history goes back maybe a few years, when I bought a Ra Clicky and loved it. Bought a Nitecore and sent it back immediately. I bought a Surefire 6p before that and thought it was blindingly bright and then realized after a long time, that it was a very specific light for blasting a large dark area. Then I settled in quietly not doing much... until a big burst of light-getting got me again.

I just got a AAA arc.
Peak brass AA
Muyshondt Aeon
Sapphire
Sundrop XRU XML

AAA Arc Premium is a great little light... but after I got the Aeon, it went back in the packaging for a gift to my son, somewhere down the line.

I sent back the Peak... I thought the light quality was 'dirty' full of artifacts, if I am using that term correctly...:duh2: It also got VERY hot very fast. but the website warned against this, to be fair. I just didn't realize how fast it would get THAT hot. Overall, it seemed not particularly excellent in terms of the light produced, IMHO. Although it was sturdy and threw huge light, and I liked that it was American. It also looked very cool in brass. The exterior was great-looking and well constructed.

I fell in love with the Aeon--for a very small keyring light, it blows me away. No equal so far in that niche.

The Sapphire is a gorgeous work with beautiful light but maybe too dim... I can imagine using it in specific almost 'night light' type situations. I love it though, will keep it.

Finally, this masterpiece called Sundrop XRU. I am officially ruined for all other lights other than McGizmos--except keychain versions. This Sundrop is --as so many have said before, astounding. (I will have to learn how to post pics here, etc.)

The rounded square light shape of the XML takes some getting used to... in fact the Sundrop in general takes some getting used to because I've never seen a flashlight throw this kind of light, ever. Pure, movie-making lamp-type light, but smaller obviously.

QUESTION: Is there a round LED choice that is loved in this community, for the Sundrop XRU? Just curious for down the road... Or does the community favor the XML in this particular McGizmo? Love to hear opinions on that.

Finally, it's no surprise... now I want a Haiku. From what I've read and seen, the XPG WARM seems to be the favorite here. But I am so new to the 'knowledge' side of this hobby, that I'd appreciate any and all opinions on that as well. YES I have read and searched these topics a lot! But I still want more.

OK guys, thanks for reading and thanks for a great resource.

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I encourage you to visit us in the McGizmo subforum. (perhaps this thread can be moved there?) Lots of good info there.

The Haiku is a fabulous light, my favorite EDC for nearly a year now. You cannot get a warm XP-G in it anymore, but cool XP-G, cool XM-L, and high CRI Nichia 119 are options, and possibly the XR-E still. I personally really like the XP-G, and the Nichia is excellent too. All depends on your needs in a beam pattern.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
As nbp stated, in effect, this thread would serve you better if it was in the McGizmo sub--forum, so I am moving it there.

Bill

persco

Enlightened
The Nichia 119 is really nice in the Sundrop, and it's quite a bit more 'round' than the square beam of the XML. I love both. And each have their uses. I would strongly suggest getting a high CRI Mule at some point (soon). It is incredibly useful and throws a beautiful, perfect round wall of light. If you like the Sundrop, you'll go crazy for the Mule. I use mine every day. I swap the Nichia 119 light engine (LE) and the XML LE from time-to-time. Both are great in the Mule.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thanks

Nick is correct, Don does not build the"warm" neutral LED into the Haiku LE anymore. Fortunately I was able to get one last year when I ordered and I have not had any of the mode switching issues that some claimed with primaries, which in turn was cause for the warm to be discontinued. That said I had bought a bare R4, 5C binned and tinted XP-G LED some time ago for a LED swap in some other light that has since been sold. A few weeks ago I ended up trading for a 6V Haiku and immediately sent it off to a very well respected flashlight wizard to swap out the cool white stock LED for the one I had and I must say I am very happy with the outcome. Don's original warm's were in the 4000K tint range IIRC, which is nice for sure but the R4, 5C seems to be in the 4500K range which to my eyes is ideal. So my point is that just because Don does not offer the warm's anymore don't be discouraged. There are some very talented people here that can easily swap in the LED you prefer for a very small sum for their time. IMO it is worth it because in my experience there is no better EDC light than the Haiku especially one with your preferred LED tint.

Last edited:

mostel california

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thanks

Thanks you, I appreciate the reply--and one day I will hopefully be able to understand the shorthand contained in it! :) But I get your drift and thanks again. Having fun for sure.