How Long Before You Realized What You Like?

Dynasty

Newly Enlightened
I am new to flashlights and am looking to purchase a few for three primary uses (EDC, car, home). I have been researching various lights in the AAA/AA/2AA categories and realized that there are endless possibilities. My question is, how did you find out which flashlights are your go-to primary flashlights? How many did you buy before you found your favorite? It seems these things can really empty the wallet pretty quick :)

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
Still realizing it!

I've always liked flashlights, but until recently thought Maglite was the best. I've spent a fair amount of time looking at the budget side of flashlights since I don't use them for anything really critical. That's a nice way to see what kind of brightness you need, and if you prefer flood or throw. In the end I'm sure I'll get a few more expensive lights though.

The thing I've realized, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is that in this hobby there is a huge variety of lights. The only way you really know if you like something or not is to try it. I haven't sold anything in the marketplace, but if you spend a lot on a light you don't like, someone else probably will like it and you may be able to recover your money. I also do a LOT of research here before I pick anything up. Take what you read with a grain of salt, because everyone has an opinion and not everyone has the same use as you, but the wealth of experience in lights is amazing here. Read posts and ask questions.

turshi

Newly Enlightened
I actually do not know which is my favourite light as of yet. But the lights I currently have all have its perks and what not. I guess for myself personally, what i found most useful is a keychain light and I think the best one is the 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2. I have the 4Sevens Quark 123^2 as well, and I think its too big for everyday carry and usually keep it in a schoolbag or at home. I have the Preon AAA^2 as well which i love as a pocket light because of its slim and slender physique.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's really no end to realizations.

A little while after you thought you found the perfect light, you will come across something else that will one-up that. It can be anything; output, performance, features, UI, etc. I recently got into being picky about tints.

At the moment, my primary EDC is a C2-BK with Cryos head, Xeno ST05 bezel, vinhnguyen54's XM-L T6 5,000k driven at 4.2A and McC2S with 60 ohm resistor.

Before that was a TN11.

Before that was a Scorpion V2 Turbo.

Before that was a TD-15.

Before that was a T20C2 MkII.

Before that was a P20C2 MkII.

Before that was a PD30.

Before that was a PD20.

Before that was a P2D.

Before that was... Well, those cheapy multi-emitter 3xAAA lights sold at stores.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems almost every light I own has its place. I liked them all at one time. I do find I keep going to pocket size lights. Generally 2 CR123 /18650 size lights or single AA size. 100 - 140 mm length. Shorter or longer lights are good, but do not get the same amount of use. Now I am looking for neutral tint. It probably took 3 years to know that.
Try buying one light of each format to see for yourself what you like. Also try to figure what your preferred interface is. One hand operation, momentary forward colicky etc.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
it took me a few years to find what suits me for edc, home/car, and work.
ive purchased around 50 lights of many different makers, sizes, battery types, interfaces...

for my needs, ive come to the conclusion that i like.... quality, good beam patterns, High CRI emitters, and simply interfaces, and because im a flashaholic... options and parts for modding and spicing things up. :thumbsup:

my EDC rotation consists of surefire L1s, and HDS
for work, home and cars, my go to lights are surefire p60 hosts with malkoff drop-ins.
i have a few other lights for different purposes, such as throwers, and task lights, and a few i consider as toys, but the lights mentioned above are my "go to" lights.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
What i came to realize was an EDC light (pocket size) is the type i'd use the most.This lead me to an HDS since then i've bought another three HDS lights.Having
said that i'm still always on the look out to see if i really fancy any other lights out there that i really want,but i can say it took me at least 10yrs before i realized
a EDC size light is the one for me on most occasions.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
An important realization for me was that there isn't one right light or type of light.

Different uses can prompt different requirements. There are some themes in what I like though. I came in with UI that fits the task being one of my main themes and it still is (along with loads more options now.) I knew I never really liked the CCT of incandescent lights (and to some extent that included home lighting) but being here refined that choice and that took some time and experimentation with LEDs used in different environments. I also know I didn't like the inefficiency of incans ... guess what I still don't have despite the urge for a strictly play hotwire? I didn't care about pocket clips early but for my main EDC light I now wouldn't go without. That just took some experience with lights that had decent clips. For beam profile's I've gotten to have different preferences for different uses and can't say I knew what I wanted when I got here. That took a little bit of experimentation and a lot of reading/looking at beamshots.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like all of my lights. Equally. Creeping around the house I have my favorites. Wouldn't use one of those for spotting wildlife. Working on the car requires another *set* of lights. I wish I could buy them all. My advice would be to start slowly choosing the lights that interest you. Use your new light and imagine how it could be better. Soon you'll find another light that is "better." Pretty soon you'll have a king's ransom tied up in lights! Is it dark yet?

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
I've been a LONG time lurker here. First it was AA lights (much more capacity than AAA and about the same size). But then I realized that CR123s were ideal in flashlights.

After many months of researching (going over UIs, programmability, etc) I settled on the Arc6. Best little light IMHO. Programmable and is basically one of the smallest CR123 lights with a button interface (less than 3" long). The size was the deciding factor among HDS and other similar lights. The Arc6 is like a smaller version of the McLuxIII with HDS programmability heritage. What's not to like?

cache_00000137547975c1357.jpg

I noticed really quickly how I NEEDED a light with a strong, well-executed deep carry clip and tritium tail. I can't live without those features anymore. The Arc6 clips on my belt and stays there. No more light in the pocket taking up key/wallet/phone space.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
That's a tough question to answer Dynasty. Even though you may think you've found and do in fact have your perfect light, newer lights may tempt you because of their new emitters, run time, types of batteries they can use, amongst other things. I really think even if one thinks they have their perfect light, they're still looking for something better.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
The short answer is 'never'. For many of us, collecting flashlights becomes a hobby and it would very boring to just buy a light and then be happy with it forever. It just makes sense (as a hobby) to buy a new light every so often. Some lights get saved for years, others get gifted or sold.

plk7

Newly Enlightened
Great question! As a noob to flashlights, I was wondering this myself. It seems like whenever I start a new hobby, I go through at least a few examples/models before I settle on one (or ones) that I like. While this may be part of the fun for others, I'm a bit impatient, and never liked the "starting" phase as much as I probably should. This is likely because it is a bit of hassle (to me anyway) to try try and sell what you no longer like/want in order to recoup some money to fund the new item that you want.

Having been into watches, I agree with many of the replies - that there is no one perfect flashlight - just as there is no one perfect watch. My strategy was to zero in on a few watches that cover me in multiples scenarios, even though each may not the best watch for any one scenario. I prefer versatility (my bank balance also benefitted). I ended up with two watches that, between the two of them, have me covered for anything life might throw at me. I hope to have the same "success" with flashlights.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you stay with the addiction/affliction you'll find a need for many different lights. I've got several throwers, a pair of "normal" EDC lights [18650 based], several M@G-Mules for handing out to friends during evening get-togethers, and several more indoor "mule" lights for night time pit stops / "what was that sound?!" use. BTW, eventually you'll get into different LED emitters and "tint/CRI" amusements or serious "hotwire" lights, either of which will keep you fascinated and broke for years to come. Enjoy!!!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you can get a good sense of what you'll like/dislike if you start out with a versatile multi-mode light, with a good mix of flood and hotspot. Something that spans sub-lumen to hundreds of lumens and a bunch of different battery formats. A common starter light are the 4Sevens Quarks - you can get an AA^2 X on rebranding sales and optional 1xAA tube with which you could have anything from 0.3 lumens to 300 lumens, alk/lithium/nimh/li-ion batts, 1x/2x batt configs, and 1 hr (@ max) to 300-400 hr (@ moonlight) runtimes. The Zebralights are also hugely versatile, especially the H series lights which cover headlamp and handheld bases.

I'm personally not a fan of the 123 format.... it's only advantage is a higher max lumen output when running primaries... they have significant disadvantages when it comes to other battery chemistries, rechargeables, back-up options, compatibility and availability.

tolkaze

Enlightened
How I know I like a light:

If I have kept it for more than 6 months and actually use it (I have a lot of "perfect" lights that just don't get carried)
If I sold it or broke it and bought a replacement (I'm looking at you Mini CR2)
I have modded, or purposely tried to damage a light so I wouldn't be able to sell it and kept it as a beater (Malkoff's and HDS - Yes, Expensive beaters)