Backpack? (big backpack but small enough to be a carry-on luggage on flight)

stockae92

Enlightened
Looking for backpack recommendation

I am looking for a *big* backpack thats *small* enough to be a carry-on luggage. :p

Any recommendation?

bnemmie

Enlightened
I carry this one almost every day and have for over 5 years: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Day-Assault-Pack,865,44.htm its durable, strong shoulder straps, lap band, sternum strap and just enough pockets to keep my stuff organized. All business. You can even add on pockets or a hydration bladder if you want too. I think there is even a bigger size but you would have to give that one gentle shove into the overhead compartment.

red_hackle

Enlightened
Check out GORUCK... Their kit is pricey, but they definitely make the most durable and thought through backpacks I have ever come across.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen plenty of posts recommending the 5.11 Rush 72: very good for the internal organizers and very durable - it's designed for LEOs.
I would not use it for serious hiking/trekking or backpacking though: the harness weight distribution and back panel ventilation are probably poor by today's standard!
If you want to use it for trekking or backpacking, with a few very expensive exceptions, you are much better off going for civilian backpacks: maybe less durable but much lighter and much more comfortable.

Otherwise check Lowe Alpine and Deuter: they make excellent backpacks and both have series specifically designed for travel keeping carry-on in mind.
Check out Osprey too if you are in the US, they might have something that fits your needs.

stockae92

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I am going to use the backpack for travelling. Basically I want to replace my carry-on case with that, and I carry one backpack. I am going to make a few trips with family (including baby), so I foresee there will be a lot of things to carry and I want to get my own stuff out of the way (by taking only one backpack for carry-on luggage)

And I am not looking for spend too much money on it. Doesn't need the backpack to be "tactical", but as least I want it to be tough enough so it won't rip if I have to man-handle it. :)

It would be a plus if I can get the backpack easily, like in REI ... haha

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide that you want luggage features a bit more than full backpack features, and maximum carry-on size, I travel with something similar to this, basically a nylon suitcase with stowable shoulder straps and belt.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139

I don't have this brand, but it's functionally the same and this works well for me. Roller bags are not so good running for a gate and navigating stairs.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit of a bag nut and found a new favorite for what you're describing... but it's actually a duffle bag with nice tuck-away backpack straps... kinda like those Northface Cargo duffles with back-pack straps, but a lot nicer. For me, it has just then right mix of lightweight/foldable yet durable/heavy duty fabric, with the serious YKK zippers, and a lifetime guarantee. It folds up into its own pocket, smaller than a cereal box. It's an Osprey Transporter 60L, which is the smallest with backpack straps. All 3 dimensions are about an inch too long for regulation carry-on. But as a soft sided bag, as long you don't stuff it full, it will easily fit to those airport "sizing cages." I like the idea of having it slightly large, in case I buy stuff and wanted to check it. All straps, zippers, handles seem very well protected and covered with no loose dangling straps - a real plus if checked to those ape baggage handlers.

stockae92

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the suggestion

The Osprey Transporter 60L is nice, but when packed, it doesn't look too comfortable to carry as a backpack. but I do like it cause all the zippers are facing my back, so less to worry about pick pockets.

The Lowe Apline TT carry-on 40 is nice too. looks like a proper backup which may be more comfortable to "wear"

One thing though, between the two, there are 20L difference in volume? I suppose the Lowe Apline TT carry-on 40 (as the smaller one) would be a good enough for carry on. I am a little scare about "over stuffing" the Osprey and end up having to check it in.

More suggestion would be welcome too.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size wise I'd say the difference is negligeable as the Operator backpack has just less than 2 L more capacity than the Osprey.

Good tactical backpacks tend to be much more durable than good civilian backpacks - I have 3 MG Camelbak myself and they can really take a lot of of abuse without even showing it.
I don't if LA Police Gear makes good tactical backpacks: I've never seen one nor I've read any feedback about them.

If you really want organizers - I find them handy - and want to save a few bucks go for the Operator.
The Osprey has less pockets so the main compartment it might be better for bulkier items. I don't own an Osprey either but have tried on a few Ospreys in a store and from what I could see they are very well designed, definitely a reputable brand.

Personally I keep away from potentially cheap tactical bags: they don't offer the durability of the good tactical bags and have all their disadvantages. Unless you find good reviews for the Operator, I'd go for the Osprey.

stockae92

Enlightened
Thanks, i ordered the Osprey Porter 46.

I still think I want a traveller bag instead of a tactical bag, and its fits what I need with the most reasonable price

And good tactical bag is *not cheap* anyway. And I think I would rather have a big main compartment than little ones on the outside of the bag.

I *think* I should still be able to carry my Maxpedition Mongo Versipack as my men's purse / day bag / tactical diaper bag on a flight. So camera and electronic items can still be organized.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a really nice bag... just slightly more skew toward backpack carry than the Transporter, which sounds like what you were looking for. Good to see it has a somewhat "light" strap and hipbelt - hate the one's with heavy duty strapping that takes up a 1/3rd of the bag's volume.... unless of course, camping is your destination.

alika2die4

Newly Enlightened
Maxpedition flugerduffel sounds like it would be what you need. Check out YouTube videos on this bag. Very impressive

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few Maxpedition things, mostly organizers and they are well-designed and rugged - no complaints whatsoever on the quality.
Their bags and backs seem to be second to none for organization pockets but as for suspension and ventilation they look primitive at best. Technical brands like Osprey and Deuter make bags that are probably not as rugged but they are still durable and in another league all-together when it comes to comfort and ventilation, especially for extended carry - these days most of their packs even include organizer pockets for bits and pieces.

The Flugerduffel looks like a very nice duffel bag though.

Last edited:

August West

Newly Enlightened
I have been beating the coondog crap out of a camelback hawg for the last 10 years to include deployments to the middle east and it is still going strong. For me it is the perfect size for a carry on, I am going to AZ in a couple of weeks and it will be used as a carry on again. LOL
I also really like the the current GI issue 3 day assault pack, perfect size, comfortable to carry, tough as nails and not too expensive, however I am not too keen on the tactical gear for commercial travel. Chris

alika2die4

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few Maxpedition things, mostly organizers and they are well-designed and rugged - no complaints whatsoever on the quality.
Their bags and backs seem to be second to none for organization pockets but as for suspension and ventilation they look primitive at best. Technical brands like Osprey and Deuter make bags that are probably not as rugged but they are still durable and in another league all-together when it comes to comfort and ventilation, especially for extended carry - these days most of their packs even include organizer pockets for bits and pieces.

The Flugerduffel looks like a very nice duffel bag though.

That's the one thing that has turned me off if maxpedition backpacks. The lack of compartments/general organization.

lifeissomething

Newly Enlightened
The only backpack I've ever wanted to carry was a BCA Stach BC. I have larger packs and smaller packs, but this pack has done every job for me. I used to carry my laptop in it, in the back of my truck, in the rain. I've supported my wife and I for 4 days in the woods on just what I could fit into this pack (probably sixty+ pounds; it's simply more comfortable than my true backpacking pack.) and a few things she could carry (Maybe 25lbs). Supremely comfortable, waterproof (the waterproofing started to get bad after about five years), and has been proven to be extremely durable. I had mine for ten or eleven years and once it was a really big deal because I had to replace a clip... I only had to buy a new one because mine was stolen by a prostitute in Istanbul, which, in itself, should be proof how desirable this backpack should be considered.