Beginner EDC - $50-70

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
This question probably gets annoying, but I have read around and searched. Still can't make up my mind.

I was also set into buying a 4Sevens Quark 123 or the 4Sevens Quark Mini 123. I thought that the Mini 123 was the best keychain light. Then I thought I could pay a few more for more lumens and then pocketcarry a regular 123. Then... I opened my options outside of 4Sevens. Heard of Zebra, Felix and more and now I'm puzzled. The Quark regular would cost $54 after coupon.

Wanted to get the titanium but can't find any used ones. Anyone know of places that sell used flashlights? Would help me save some money.

Is there a difference between 4Sevens and new FourSevens? Is it just change of look and branding?

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______Bay Area________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
_X__Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
_X___I'm flexible, tell me what you got. (flexible within $75 max)
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

__X__Keychain size.
__X__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____N/A

Not sure if I want to back pocket carry or keychain.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
__X__I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__X__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__X__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

At first wanted Alkaline since you can find those everywhere. But a CR would work better, if it can be rechargeable even better.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__X__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

Will be EDC, dont want it to die on me randomly. I like the 4Sevens nano charger + 123 combo.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__X__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
__X__I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
__X__I don't care.
__X__I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Nothing really needed. Keychain ring if it's intended for keychain carry.

Thanks!

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with 4 Sevens. There are also nice lights by Sunwayman,Jetbeam,niteye.
The Xtar Wk21 runs on RCR123's and can be purchased in a kit with battery and charger for less than $50.00

EagleTac also does some very nice EDC type of lights.

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
For a keychain I'm leaning towards getting a used Quark Mini 123. Can't seem to find any on Marketplace tho...
Looked at the Wk21

Also looking at the EagleTac D25C for $40-45.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like 4sevens and Zebralight for their moonlight and good low lows, both are very versatile lights with the ZL H series great for headlamp and clipped hands-free use, and the Quarks for their customer service, warranty and ability to run any battery.

You can put together a Quark X AA^2 with optional 1xAA body for EDC and Li-ions for under $65 with all the rebranding sales going on (ummm, if Goinggear is still carrying the inventory).

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
I personally like 4sevens and Zebralight for their moonlight and good low lows, both are very versatile lights with the ZL H series great for headlamp and clipped hands-free use, and the Quarks for their customer service, warranty and ability to run any battery.

You can put together a Quark X AA^2 with optional 1xAA body for EDC and Li-ions for under $65 with all the rebranding sales going on (ummm, if Goinggear is still carrying the inventory).

I like 4Sevens and Zebralight as well. Zebra's I can't really afford them.
$65 still seems high to me.

Maybe <$50 with exceptions for highly recommended/amazing lights.
links removed. see red banner at top of page.

Yep, I still find myself leaning towards these. Wish I could find them cheaper for used or titanium. CPFMarketplace isn't bringing anything up.

How's $30 used for a EagleTac D25C? Say compared to the Quark Mini 123?

Last edited:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
HypeTac-P1A from shiningbeam

great light if your on a budget...

great light if your not on a budget...

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Not really liking the HypeTac and looking for something to either backpocket (Quark 123 size) or keychain carry.
How is the Quark Mini 123 XML? Got an offer for $30 on that, but brand new I could get $39-40 as well.

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Bump! Anything new?
Used Quark Minix 123 for $30 or 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 for $35 from site?

Or any other suggestions besides these? Might also get the regular Quark AA for $42 or Quark 123 for $38 and then keychain carry a Fenix E01?

So many choicessss...

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I suggest going for the regular Quark AA. Its much more useful than the Minis. The minis are good for keychain carry backups (my opinion).
I have a Ti Mini AA on my keychain and a Quark AA in the pocket. The mini acts more like a spare battery holder/backup light if I forget the AA.

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Consider an E05 ... smaller, brighter and only a few $ more.

I have thought about this before but I would much rather have the better battery life of the E01.
Any other suggestions? Nothing much is coming up on Marketplace either...

HaileStorm

Enlightened
The jetbeam pa10 looks very promising albeit the lack of thermal protection and the single mode on 14500.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
The jetbeam pa10 looks very promising albeit the lack of thermal protection and the single mode on 14500.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

A bit on the higher side for price.
I bought $70 just in case something amazing, best bang for buck is really worth that much. Otherwise would like to spend 50 max maybe.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I'd recommend you check out the Romisen lights. They have really good quality lights for the price. I got my 1000 lumen RC-T602 for around $28. Takes one 18650 battery. Just not sure if you'd want it for edc since it is quite big and heavy. Here's a pic:
Over sized image removed.

Another model from Romisen that I can recommend you is the RC-i3. Compatible with 2aa's/1aa/1cr123a. Not that powerful but I like the flexibility and mine has lasted for four or more years.

Those are the only two Romisens that I have and can vouch for but the brand makes some really good lights so I guess any model from them is of good quality.

I almost forgot, also try Solarforce. I don't have one yet but a friend of mine has it an according to him, it's top-notch, right up there with Klarus and Fenix. With the solarforce, at least you can buy the starter kit then just change the drop-in bulb to a more powerful one. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that RC-T602 is way too big for me right now.
I looked at the RC-i3 and not really liking it. Only $15 from DX but reviews aren't good enough for me to make a purchase.

The SolarForce's seem to be on the bigger side and no keychain hole? The L2 looks interesting, but I don't know which parts to purchase. Just the host then a bulb?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Yup, you can buy just buy the host then pick the bulb of your choice. All parts are interchangeable so you can mix and match the heads and tail switches. Even the bezels are interchangeable, the have a range of cool parts available for modularity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD