ArmyTek
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18650 Extender for JetBeam RRT-01/TC-R1?

Default Re: 18650 Extender for JetBeam RRT-01/TC-R1?

I'd be in for this...
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

does jetbeam rrt-01 lego with sunwayman of that size? I'd be in for an 18650 extender for swm if it looked good (I read a small compatible batch was made before, but they're nowhere to be found).

Pending the price, I'm in for one or two.

Ok as planned went to the machine shop and spent the morning making 4 prototypes of the extenders in Titanium for the TCR1.
    X 18500 size and x2 18650 size. I love the longer torch. It feels nice in the hand.

Wasted a lot of time boring out the solid bar by first drilling it out to 10mm, then 16mm and then using the CNC boring tool to 18.5mm diameter for the 18xxx batteries.

If I am going to Do it again on a run I am going to have to buy that £1600 tool - you know the one that comes from a very expensive tool shop and can only be used once. I am just joking - it actually costs £80 it is a indexed drilling tool that will enable the bar to be drilled on the CNC rather than the lathe in one go. This will speed things up from 25 minutes per extender to maybe 5 minutes on the CNC. Drilling it out on the lathe is inefficient, frustrating and time consuming.. I am not going to whine that time equals money and therefore each extension is going to have cost $300 etc... You know I hate that kind of talk. So I have to find ways of making it efficient as I don't think the extension is worth more than $50. What do you think? What is a good pricing point. Remember I am not trying to make a profit but I do need to recoup the costs involved if I want to make this possible.

Having made the prototype I realise that the diameter of the front section of the torch head is slightly bigger than the rear section tube. Do you want the lip on the front or the back as there is going to be a step. . I think it is better at the back as it will blend in with the tube ring.

I have polished the body and it looks a bit plain - so any ideas? Anything too complicated will increase time to make.

Close up of threads of extension tube. Interfaces nicely .. Not gritty.

I want some feedback before I take this further.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

I like it. I think it is a little plain and some knurling or even just some straight lines would be nice to breakup the plain face of the extender, like little columns. Anything to give a little surer grip of the light along the extender would be nice. You can price those a little higher, to be fair to you!
    The lip can be in the back, but then the whole body of the extender will be thicker, if the lip is to the front the extender can be kept thinner :-)
    $50 is a good price point, and I would like you to make a little profit. Shipping to the US will be added cost too for a lot of us.
    I will take one 18650 extender for sure, kindly make sure it fits the longer Panasonic 3100 with protection, battery.
    Appreciate what you are making for us.

Regards.
    Last edited by Shikar; 06-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.

I have to say, that looks very cool, and I'm glad that there's quite a bit of interest in having these made. Didn't quite realize how long it would make it at first, but that should be fine given the controls are all at the front of the light, and nothing at the back.

I'd prefer to have the lip at the back, which makes the overall thickness a bit bigger, but preserves the look as before, where the bezel on the back half rises smoothly to the final diametre of the front half. Does that make any sense?

I would agree that the plain polished look is a little dull. Some light knurling or possibly even some small rings around the extender would probably look nice.

$50 is fine by me. As you've said, you need to recoup your material costs, but that doesn't mean you have to donate your time for free, as it's appreciated by many members on the forums here. You can definitely take a bit of a profit on these for all your help with this.
    Fenix TK-11 R5 | Olight SR90 | SWM V10R Ti XP-G R5 | JetBeam TC-R1 #167

Quote Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
    I like it. I think it is a little plain and some knurling or even just some straight lines would be nice to breakup the plain face of the extender
    +1

Looking forward to one of these, thanks for the effort. These will give the light alot more run time.

This looks wonderful mohan! The lip location is whatever looks best. I can't imagine clearly now. That extension is huge. Quite interesting looking. I agree, some kind of knurling would be nice. Rings or lines could work since knurling is difficult.

$50 is a great price point if workable for you.

Also. Is there an oring groove?

I am definitely in for an 18650 extender. Just tell me where to send funds!

The plain look is fine, but if you come up with some architecture to add to the extenders...even better!

Many thanks for doing this, please keep us in the loop.
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

I think it looks pretty good, ought to do the job.
    However since you asked for feedback:

As for detailing; i would suggest either a grid pattern to compliment the pattern on the tail just not at 45 degrees, or just some rings, but either choice should use a similar radius and spacing to the pattern in the tail.

As for the lip; i think keeping a smooth transition between the smooth head section and the extender would look best but would it be possible to give the other end a 10-20 degree chamfer down to the smaller diameter of the tail, i feel this would look a little neater and feel better in the hand.

Also i agree with gunga that it could do with an o-ring channel, the TC-R1 comes with a spare o-ring which is lucky.

All that being said i'll go for one of each type whether any of these features are implemented or not but i also won't be upset if your initial quoted price goes up if you do implement any.

I agree with Shikar and Gunga that the extender could do with some simple lines or rings.
    I'm in for sure. Thanks for doing this.

thanks for the feedback guys

I quickly this morning spun one of the tubes on my lathes. my poor hobbyist lathe has a dying motor and cannot do anything too substantial apart from a bit of polishing. nevertheless I kept at it and cut 2 rings on the body. sorry about the picture but I was in a rush and just made a point and shoot photo.

I think the rings break up the monotony of the extender and sit well with the design of the rest of the torch - you can see rings on the head with similar spacings. This adds minimal machine time so can be achieved easily.

Again I would value your honest feedback.

I cannot undertake anything more substantial such as the diametric pattern as it would involve putting it on a milling machine which adds further costs as it needs further machining and design.
    To cut a slot for the O ring at the bottom of the threads is simple. I just didnt bother but that is something that can be done easily.

Last edited by mohanjude; 06-26-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Looks great! Add o ring slot and put it on the line!
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Good Morning Mohan,

Add the O-ring slot, thats a good idea for sure.
    The rings you cut break up the monotony of the extender just perfect, cosmetically lets keep it just that way now.
    Great work and thanks again for doing this for all of us!!
    Let me know paypal and lets get it done.

Regards.

Is there any chace that this can be offered in aluminum? Raw or HA would be fine by me.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Flashaholic

Well done . I am in for 18650 ! Tks for all the efforts

Looks good Mohan!

Looks good, and the price point is fair for sure.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will go and work out with machinist how much raw material I need to order.

Once I am in a position to go ahead I will post on this thread and start a separate sales thread. I can make a couple of aluminium extensions for those who want it.

I am getting the impression that the majority are asking for 18650 extensions and maybe just the odd couple of 18500 extension.

Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude
    Thanks for the encouragement.

I will go and work out with machinist how much raw material I need to order.

Once I am in a position to go ahead I will post on this thread and start a separate sales thread. I can make a couple of aluminium extensions for those who want it.

I am getting the impression that the majority are asking for 18650 extensions and maybe just the odd couple of 18500 extension.
    18650 in aluminum flavor for me please!
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Mohan,

Any update? We all appreciate your help !!

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
    Mohan,

Any update? We all appreciate your help !!

Regards.
    I have ordered the titanium and waiting for the CNC drill to be ordered. It will probably be around 4-6 weeks before I can get this out.

Flashaholic

Great ! Looking forward for the masterpiece !

Can you test with AA long term? I only did a quick function test. No long term testing for how the circuit works on aa.

I am so in for a Ti 18650 extension tube. Will the AL version cost the same? I suppose the AL version will work with both the rrt01 and the Niteye?

When is the pre-ordering start? I can't wait to run the tcr1 with 18650. The only reason I don't use the tcr1 much is battery life. If I get an extension to run 18650, I might even get another tcr1. One for shelf and one for throwing around.

I´m definately in for a Ti 18650 extension tube (with o-ring groove). Can´t let my V10R Ti´s have all the 18650 fun. Knurling or tighter groves as on my V10r Ti 18650 tube would be worth paying a bit more for.

Great work Mohan. I am interested in both AL and Ti 18650 with o-ring groove.
    Last edited by ErichM; 07-26-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Enlightened

Have you considered making a full battery compartment instead of an extender?
    I think it would make for a much cleaner look.
    Add some knurling like on the RRT-01 and the battery tube is perfect.

In for 18650 Ti extender w\ oring groove.
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!