18650 Extender for JetBeam RRT-01/TC-R1?

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of something like this, but I don't see any others posts about it, so I'll ask.

If there anybody who might be willing to make an 18650 extender for the JetBeam RRT-01 and/or the TC-R1? I got a TC-R1 the other day, and while it seems to be a great light, it seems that my LiFePO4 batteries don't quite have enough voltage to drive the light to its full potential. I was going to order some LiMn 18350 batteries for it, but if I'm able to use my existing 18650s, that'd be even better. I don't mind an extra 30-35mm on the light (it'd make it easier to hold anyway), get a bit more runtime, and mean that the power draw will be well under the 2C limit for LiCo, even with 2400mAh 18650s (750mAh 16340s don't quite cut it, as based on JB's quoted runtime, it's approaching 3C on those batteries).

Titanium extender would be preferred, give I already have the TC-R1. No special finish is needed other than a polish. There may be more people interested in something like this too, so maybe we could organize some sort of group buy or something.

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible to do this without major effort if it is a simple polished surface.

However it depends on what size is going to be popular ... 18500, 18650 or both?

Simple polished surface is the easiest to execute.

Last edited:

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
That's a good question about the battery size. I hadn't thought about 18500 myself as I don't own any batteries of that size, but I could see it being popular given it wouldn't increase the size of the light nearly as much as an 18650 extender would. Personally, I would go for an 18650 extender. I don't know if that's representative of people who would be interested in this though.

Would you have a rough estimate on how much an extender might cost to make?

Shikar

Newly Enlightened
I have the TC-R1 and would like an extender for the 18650, so send me a note if possible please.

Regards.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making an extender should not be expensive. I estimate it to be around $50 for an extension in titanium. Until I price it up by buying the materials and asking the machinist do the job I cannot give a accurate price. I will get a prototype done in the next 2-3 weeks and report back to see if it is a viable option. I am hoping to make a few anyway regardless of cost.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that range of price i'd go for one as well (for the TC-R1, 18650 length)

I am a flashaholic and don't want to make a profit. I will try and make it and hopefully be able to share it at the cost incurred to me. The extension should be approx 30mm long to accommodate a 18650 battery. Buying 25mm Ti bar is not prohibitive. However the longer bar I buy the cheaper it becomes. Making the 1st pro type is the most expensive as it takes time to make a drawing, turn that drawing into a Cnc programme etc. eventually when you get the prototype there are inevetible changes that need to be made.

I am hoping to make a 20mm and 35mm extension that is a simple polished tube with no additional machining on the surface to keep costs down. It may end up not looking nice as it may be too plain and will need to get feedback from you.

Last edited:

Tofty

Enlightened
I am hoping to make a 150mm and 300mm extension that is a simple polished tube with no additional machining on the surface to keep costs down. It may end up not looking nice as it may be too plain and will need to get feedback from you.

Those are long extension pieces, i'm not sure how many people would risk running 5 or even 9 CR123s. But seriously, looking at a TC-R1 the head piece has about 12mm of untextured surface before the joint, the extention piece should blend in well with this. It might look a little strange but probably not 'wrong'.
It's a shame that the Jetbeam uses square threads though.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised or upset if the final price was quite a bit higher, if it isn't i've got to start talking to the machinists you use.

Last edited:

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Those are long extension pieces, i'm not sure how many people would risk running 5 or even 9 CR123s. But seriously, looking at a TC-R1 the head piece has about 12mm of untextured surface before the joint, the extention piece should blend in well with this. It might look a little strange but probably not 'wrong'.
It's a shame that the Jetbeam uses square threads though.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised or upset if the final price was quite a bit higher, if it isn't i've got to start talking to the machinists you use.

I'd think he meant 30mm and 15mm respectively. The current tube is about 35mm long, with the stated extensions they'll fit a 18650 and 18500 nicely.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofty - sorry for any confusion

A IMR 18350 is 18mm in diameter and 35mm in length.

A 18650 cells is 65mm in length but in reality almost all the cells I measured is 69 to 70mm long

So I would need to make a 35mm extension for the 18650 cell or 20mm extension for 18500 cells.

I don't think cr123 are going to work as they will be doubling the voltage - I don't know if the driver on the TCR1 can take 6v?

Last edited:

nMotion96

Newly Enlightened
I have someone drawing up some designs for a 18650 body. Would a full knurling body be preferred? What about the tail with the lanyard hole? I was thinking or just getting rid of it. Also does anyone know the threading on it?

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
I have someone drawing up some designs for a 18650 body. Would a full knurling body be preferred? What about the tail with the lanyard hole? I was thinking or just getting rid of it. Also does anyone know the threading on it?

I had just been thinking of an extender with the existing body myself, but I guess it would be possible to just replace the whole rear end instead, given there's not even a switch in it. If that were the route chosen instead, I'd personally go without the lanyard hole. I use the clip myself, and I've had a couple people mistake the nub for a switch, and then confusion ensues when it doesn't move.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I like the idea of the full body. Maybe a removeable lanyard ring can be sandwiched between the clip and body?