Rechargabule C & D's for the Malkoff mag drop in?

Chef niloc

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Malkoff drop ins to use in a 6 D and 6 C cell maglite. I wanted to get some rechargeable's to use in them but a few of the threads here leave me a little confused on the best way to go about this. I was thinking of going with the Eneloop's with the C and D cell adaptors, but from what I have read here this might not be a ood way to go? So what would be best way to power these Malkoff mags?

Trevtrain

Enlightened
I am looking at a Malkoff drop-in for my 5 D Mag as well. I would recommend a "proper" D cell assuming you have some way to charge it. They are not cheap but if you are in the USA, Thomas Distributing seems to be the place to go for cells and chargers. (Not much good to me in Australia though as the international shipping charges kill any price advantage unless I buy a big quantity.)

I have a quite few LSD Imedion AA and AAA cells and have been very happy with them.
The D Imedions are about $14 each with a capacity of 9500mAh. The C's are about $13 ea and 5000mAh. The trouble with using adaptors is the lower runtime from the reduced capacity of smaller eneloops. Unfortunately, Eneloop don't make a "proper" D cell but I believe they have released a psuedo-D which is basically a wrapper with 3 AA eneloops inside. There was a thread about it somewhere here in CPF.

The way I see it, if you are prepared to spend good money on a Malkoff and are happy to carry something that size, then you might as well get the good cells to power it. AA-D adaptors might be a quick fix for low-drain toys but I'd rather not rely on them for any serious work.

Let's see what others in here think.

Cheers

Trevtrain

Enlightened
FYI Chef niloc, direct posting of sales links is frowned upon in here. You will probably find them removed by a mod. I think it's ok to mention companies by name though.

Your links didn't come up properly for me but you are on the right website. Just go to the home page and look under the "Batteries and Power" heading. You will find the Low self-discharge Imedions in there. I think the low self-discharge benefits outweigh the slightly higher ultimate capacity of the other options shown.

Good luck

Chef niloc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you

To mod's
Sorry if my link broke a rule, I thought it was to a manufactures spec sheet and not a sales link.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Last month, I researched rechargeable NiMH D cells here for a Malkoff drop-in and found Tenergy brand seems to be the best. They have two types, regular (blue label) and premium (white label), both claiming 10,000 mAh but only premium actually comes close to reaching it. I bought four of the regular as I got a killer deal on ebay and have been useing and charging them with no problems. They have charged to 8500 to 8900 MAh.
Lots of info. on rechargeable D cells here in the battery section, worth searching for.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have heard the tenergys are as good as anything else when talking about rechargable D cells. Been thinking of one of those XML maglite dropins myself, I'll be running tenergy NIMH or maybe the nicads if I do, 5000 mah and a possibly more reliable chemistry isn't a bad combo.

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
So the Tenergys or Imedions are the "go to" D and C cell batteries?

I got an LED lantern and are looking for some myself =p

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
I am getting tenerny D myself, and wondering if the white premium are better? Since I don't see much differences in price.

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Judging by amazon reviews they are good bang for buck. I don't know if they are LSD though

Sanyo, made some larger eneloops!

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check your killer deal Tenergys on a Maha charger (with alligator clips and a D-cell holder).
All of mine come up "HIGH" (internal resistance) -- meaning they probably sat in the sun too long.
I got some Ds and some AAs and they all were pretty well aged.

YMMV of course, the bottom of the box or shipping container probably was a nice cool environment.

They do still take and hold some charge, about like yours -- 80 percent or so -- but I am not going to rely on them for the earthquake box as I'd hoped to for fear they'll be discharged when I most need them.

Back to paying retail (sigh)