ZL H51Fw vs Spark SD-52NW

Expired

Newly Enlightened
So I'm stuck between these two lights...
$64 Zebralight H51Fw
$99 Spark SD-52NW /w optional reflector

I'll be using these lights for travel and backpacking with a backup AA/2AA flashlight.

At first I was all about the 2x AA Spark with magnetic attachment and optional reflector. I would get flood and a bit of throw with longer runtimes.
Now I'm kind of iffy about it because it shuts off when low and it has problems memorizing settings.

I was hoping I could get your thoughts on the two so I can finally pull the trigger on one.
I've been debating between them for several months now.. :shakehead

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Expired, I would take the Zebralight. I actually like the Spark, but the more I use it the more I like my Zebralight. The only real benefit the Spark has over the Zebralight is the 2AA capacity helping runtimes. I think its ok for my work, but I would not take it backpacking. I like to keep my pack weight fairly low and the Zebralight fits the bill for me better. I don't mind carrying spare cells, but on Low or medium, the Zebralight gives me plenty for a typical long weekend. With a backup AA/2AA light, i would definitely choose the Zebralight. Good luck with your decision.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
Expired, I would take the Zebralight. I actually like the Spark, but the more I use it the more I like my Zebralight. The only real benefit the Spark has over the Zebralight is the 2AA capacity helping runtimes. I think its ok for my work, but I would not take it backpacking. I like to keep my pack weight fairly low and the Zebralight fits the bill for me better. I don't mind carrying spare cells, but on Low or medium, the Zebralight gives me plenty for a typical long weekend. With a backup AA/2AA light, i would definitely choose the Zebralight. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with you.. I own the HF1f, and the spark sd-52 with optional lens. I always go for my zebralight over the spark. Have been thinking about selling my SD-52, honestly.

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Don't own a Spark, but I do have the H51Fw. It is my very favorite light. I get about 2 weeks of daily use on a standard Eneloop when running the light on medium and low. Pack an extra cell and you'll be good for quite some time!

Expired

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess it's settled then.
Thank you

EDIT: Never mind.. Just saw that ZL is coming out with the H502 at the end of May..
Now to decide between these two.. :shakehead

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I don't own a Zebra, but I would get the zebra because of the possible quirks with the Spark. BUT for backpacking you might want to consider the Spark ST5! Especially if you want to run 14500 LION batteries!

Had to edit my post. I have a ST5 109 NW and when I got it I used it on LION only for a long time using NIMH only as back up. It is a very capable lamp with both batteries, but excels with the 14500 LION. Super small and very power full. You won't be disappointed!

Last edited:

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the H502 is going to be more efficient (impressively so), but it'll be a different beast than the H51Fw. The latter is directional flood, and the H502 is going to be pure flood. Depends on which you prefer. I'll be getting the H502w when it's mature, which could be a couple more months. I have no idea if I'm going to like the 120 degree beam, but I'm darn sure going to find out for myself. :)

Well, I guess it's settled then.
Thank you

EDIT: Never mind.. Just saw that ZL is coming out with the H502 at the end of May..
Now to decide between these two.. :shakehead

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if you want to do hand-shadow puppets, you're gonna want to hold out for that H502, ;-)
Nice sharp shadow lines from pure flood.
Honestly, after playing around with pure flood from the first high power leds I've ever bought, I love pure, reflectorless flood, but for overall utility, splitting all of the differences, I'm still extremely happy with Zebralight's H51Fc.
An H502w (or c!?) is definitely in my future, as is an H600w, but if grams counted and I could only take one I'd be very, very happy with H51Fc.

btw, for everybody talking about the 120 degree flood issues, seems like an o-ring mod for the lens, just like was done for the old style switches, would close that angle a good bit if need be.

Last edited: