new and need a cheap light recomendation

boneskid1

Newly Enlightened
hello all, i stumbled across this forum while looking at knives over at blade forums, and i am quite fascinated with flashlights now.
So now i would like to purchase a decent low end flashlight that is plenty bright but also has some fair battery life. i would prefer the light to use 1 or 2 AA batteries, and they will probably be alkaline's.

i did in fact read to the read of this sub-forum and found a few that sparked my interest but they were either shipped from china ( and i have not had a good experience with that before) or didn't exist anymore.

Also i would like it to be sub $40 or so and preferably led, definitely not incandescent.

I know this is quite a bit to ask but from the responses i have read in other posts i think that many of you have more knowledge on this subject than i ever will.
Thanks,
Boneskid1

karnevil

Newly Enlightened
One thing that will help with specific suggestions is if you fill out the form found here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276972-Flashlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated!!

FourSevens, Fenix, Zebralight, and many others make nice 1xAA lights, and they should be within your budget. I would suggest that you shy away from alkaline batteries. They have a tendency to leak, which will ruin your new light. A good high quality NiMH rechargable such as Sanyo Eneloops won't leak and will hold a charge for several years. NiMH is better on the environment, and in the long run better for your wallet as well.

awyeah

Enlightened
Definitely purchase Sanyo Eneloops to drive your lights, you'll be far happier with the results.

As for an actual flashlight - any of the Fenix "E" series flashlights. You'll get Fenix's excellent quality in a budget-priced light.

The E11 is around $30 and the E21 is around $40, although you might be able to find good deals at the CPF dealer's corner or marketplace. Both the E11 and E21 will be pretty bright, especially compared to any of the lights you'll find at a local store.

spc smith

Enlightened
Boneskid1,

You want a bright light near the capability of a $100+ light I would strongly encourage you to check out shiningbeam.com... I don't know the name word for word, I think its the romisen T6 xml U2 that goes for $34.00 and outputs 750 lumens with a wide smooth reflector for maximum throw. It doesn't use alkalines but rather lithium ion disposable (CR123) and rechargeable (18650, RCR123's) which is a way more durable, longevity type of battery chemistry compared to alkalines. I'm thinking for the money you just can't beat it. Anybody else got a suggestion or prior user experience with this light?

SPC smith

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to decide the size, and purpose of the light. There are many types of power sources and types of lights.
AA batteries
AAA batteries
Li-Ion batteries

Lights by Klarus
Xtar
Balder
Jetbeam
Fenix

almost all are good lights and work well.
Just need to check the various reviews and posts before deciding. There is also the CPF marketplace forums for dealer sales of many lights located right here in the USA

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
iTP lights are starting to get phased out as they are getting absorbed into the Olight lineup. You can still find them many places, though, and they are in your price range and an excellent value. For example: the iTP A2 and/or the Olight i2

Some other lights worth a look in that price range are the Lumapower EDC lineup.

...and even though its a AAA... the Streamlight Microstream isn't horrible either and extremely affordable.

Last edited:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Boneskid1,

You want a bright light near the capability of a $100+ light I would strongly encourage you to check out shiningbeam.com... I don't know the name word for word, I think its the romisen T6 xml U2 that goes for $34.00 and outputs 750 lumens with a wide smooth reflector for maximum throw. It doesn't use alkalines but rather lithium ion disposable (CR123) and rechargeable (18650, RCR123's) which is a way more durable, longevity type of battery chemistry compared to alkalines. I'm thinking for the money you just can't beat it. Anybody else got a suggestion or prior user experience with this light?

SPC smith

+1 on this. The light SPC smith is describing is the Romisen RC-T602 with Cree XM-L T6 powered by 1 18650 li-ion. It's definitely the best light I have, well built and the power is awesome! The ones with memory are rated at 1000 lumen and ones that don't are rated at 850/750. That's according to the sites that popped up when I googled the RC-T602.

If you really want to stick to AA's, I have the RC-i3, you might want to check it out. But it's by no means powerful by today's standards. Having said that, I've had te light for over 4yrs and no problem whatsoever.

On the other hand, you might also want to check out offers from Fenix, Klarus and OLight. They have a lot of nice lights, not to mention the good build quality of these lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danielight

Enlightened
Regarding your choice of batteries, if you're not ready to spring for a battery charger yet, rather than go with alkalines (which, as karnevil has already pointed out, will leak, and won't last as long), you might want to start with lithium primary AAs (e.g., Energizer Ultimate Lithiums). Lithium primaries are usually available in stores like WalMart. They are a little more expensive than alakalines, but would be well worth it.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the suggestion of AA lithium primaries, just better in every aspect. I'll also suggest the LightHound AA tactical sold at Lighthound.com. It's a re-branded Balder SE-1, uses AA or 14500 Li-ion cell, you can get an XPG emitter in either NW or CW or an XML in CW, it has 3 output levels, a tactical clicky switch and a removable clip. I've gifted several of the XPG neutral white versions to family and all are amazed at the output [even on alkalines] the 3 levels and the build quality for so little money.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
Maglite pro+ - 2 light levels, one of which is over 200 ANSI lumens, designed for 2 standard alkalines, and if they do leak in it, Mag will replace it, assuming it was a name-brand alk. There's a thread on the replacement policy somewhere on the forum.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now buy all my budget lights from Shining Beam. Excellent service, quick shipping and wonderful products. If you like AA batteries I suggest the Caveman. If you like *bright* lights, I suggest the Romisen RC-T601 U2. Cheap and bright! Both are excellent values.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
*budget = shiningbeam*

honestly, I think we should sticky that to the top of the forum