Quad Nichia NVSL219 build

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my latest build. Specs:

-LED's: 4 x Nichia NVSL219 Hi CRI 4500K B10 bin on 10mm beards from illumination supply

-Reflectors: 4 x Ledil regina for nicha 219 from digikey

-glass lens from britelumens.

-heatsink: flat top mag D from Britelumens (modified)

-Driver: Taskled Hyperboost set to 1.5A (filed down to fit in mag D host)

-Host: Quad bored 2D maglite from Jesus Hernandez

-Battery holder: Fivemega 8 x AA series

-Batteries: 8 x Eneloop AA Nimh. (Sanyo XX on the way)

dsc0004ec.jpg

The britelumens heatsink needed a big chunk sawn out of it to accommodate the driverboard. The Hyperboost was filed down in order to fit into the mag D tube. I'm surprised that it still worked actually.

dsc0001ta.jpg

It all fitted together quite well, which was lucky I guess as I had no idea if it would when ordering. There is a little gap at the bezel ring but nothing major. I've filled in the gap with a black o-ring I had lying around. Looks pretty good now.

dsc0003akt.jpg

The 10mm boards required a little dremmeling in order for the reflector feet to fit.

dsc0005xc.jpg

beamshot at close range against wall. Flood is good but It still has a reasonable amount of throw considering the small reflectors and LED die size.

dsc0009nx.jpg

left to right: Malkoff hound dog XM-L cool white, Quad Nichia NVSL219, Surefire M6 LOLA (incandescent)

NOTE, I just read this on one of McGizmo's threads: 119/219 denotes only the solder pad footprint of the emitter. NVSL denotes the larger die similar to the Cree XP-G. NCSL denotes the smaller die similar to the Cree XP-E. It would be more informative to refer to these LED's as "Nichia NVSL" rather than "Nichia 219" IMO.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quad Nichia 219 build

Nice! I'm a big fan of the nichia emitters to the point that I'm looking at modding every single emitter light I have with one...or maybe a triple ;)

netprince

Enlightened

That is a neat build. What keeps the reflectors from rattling around? Did you epoxy them down?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a neat build. What keeps the reflectors from rattling around? Did you epoxy them down?

There are feet on the reflector that fit into holes in the emitter board (some dremelling required to make them fit). The reflectors are then held in place by the pressure of screwing down the bezel ring. They seem to held in pretty tightly, no epoxy required.

Strangest thing happened; one of the emitters appears to have overheated. The actual die is fine but there's a big burn mark on the optical dome. My only guess is that there was some sort of contaminant on the surface that caused it to burn. The burn mark would not clean off so I had to cut it off with a scalpel. I have since replaced the LED and everything seems fine now. Weird.