Page 1 of 60 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your copper

Flashaholic

Default Show off your copper

Show off your copper stuff!

I'll start it off

Default Re: Show off your copper

I'll play

My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Flashaholic

Nice I like it. I love copper stuff, wish I could have a hinderer Cu, let alone have 2. Also love the mac Cu.

Flashaholic

I'm in

Flashaholic

I love the copper keep it coming!

l have to add more to here, should be here next week hopefully, I cant wait.

Buttrock Re: Show off your copper

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    Show off your copper stuff!

I'll start it off

I was totally unaware of a copper Zippo! Not a smoker but enjoy the lighters (Americana)...will definitely be picking up a Maratac as well! Good stuff!

Flashaholic

There gotta be more copper out there somewhere! Show 'em off! Lights, knifes, pens, and other cool copper items.

awesome stuff, guys!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Hi Rees,

Great thread, hope it grows. Can you provide some details on the copper ball?

Shado......

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

2tap.....Now its off to search the homestead for some copper.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 05-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic

I got the copper sphere off from Ebay. It cost me $34 shipped to my house and its 99.9% native Michigan copper.

Its approx 50mm in diameter and about 1lb (will weigh with scale when I get one). It is coated so it wont tarnish, which im considering removing, but I guess for that could be less cleaning. It also came with the little stand, which is made of wood I think.

There was a few other diameters, but this was the biggest I could find. There were a few at 30mm and 40mm also.

I saw and had to have it, and wife thinks i'm nuts, but its just so much copper.......

Flashaholic*

Does this count? It's 12 X 1.5" of C110 copper that eventually got cut up into smaller flashlight parts, primarily heatsinks.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Does this count? It's 12 X 1.5" of C110 copper that eventually got cut up into smaller flashlight parts, primarily heatsinks.

sure, it would be cool to see some pics of parts.

I think it would be nice to get some bezels or other parts made from copper to use on lego type lights like surefire or solarforce lights.

Flashaholic

Just got this in the mail.

Little knife is supposed to be copper handle with shell inlay and damascus blade. Not so sure on the copper part though. Tested it with multimeter and it isnt sealed and with my neodymium magnets they didnt stick to it so maybe a alloy or something. It has a slight smell like copper but not sure yet. tarnish will tell more hopefully.

Not too bad looking IMO. I was playing with my DMM and checking continuity on the blade and what ever its made of or is on it doesnt conduct between the black to the silver parts on the blade. My magnets stick very well to the blade though and the pattern doesnt continue onto the back of the knife. But I cant expect alot from a inexpensive knife.
    Last edited by Rees; 05-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Flashaholic*

sure, it would be cool to see some pics of parts.

I think it would be nice to get some bezels or other parts made from copper to use on lego type lights like surefire or solarforce lights.
    Almost everything I've made using copper has been internal heatsinks like the following:

Copper is difficult to work on the lathe. It dulls carbide tools quickly. I can make parts like bezels and such, but, I prefer to keep it hidden away inside the light.

Copper dulls carbide? How? It's such a soft metal.

Little knife is supposed to be copper handle with shell inlay and damascus blade. Not so sure on the copper part though. Tested it with multimeter and it isnt sealed and with my neodymium magnets they didnt stick to it so maybe a alloy or something. It has a slight smell like copper but not sure yet. tarnish will tell more hopefully.
    In the pictures it looks like copper with some zinc added = brass. Nice looking knife!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I got the copper sphere off from Ebay. It cost me $34 shipped to my house and its 99.9% native Michigan copper.

Its approx 50mm in diameter and about 1lb (will weigh with scale when I get one). It is coated so it wont tarnish, which im considering removing, but I guess for that could be less cleaning. It also came with the little stand, which is made of wood I think.

There was a few other diameters, but this was the biggest I could find. There were a few at 30mm and 40mm also.

I saw and had to have it, and wife thinks i'm nuts, but its just so much copper.......

OK, it's decorative. I was wondering what it was for. $34 isn't expensive for that much cool. A Google search for copper sphere produced 9,970,000 hits. Who knew!?

~ Chance

Copper is listed at a three on the Mohs scale. A penny is listed around 3.2 to 3.5

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 05-23-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: To add some extraneous information.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    OK, it's decorative. I was wondering what it was for. $34 isn't expensive for that much cool. A Google search for copper sphere produced 9,970,000 hits. Who knew!?

~ Chance
    I got it just for a large specimen of copper, and I liked it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Copper dulls carbide? How? It's such a soft metal.
    Let me rephrase that. Copper requires razor sharp tooling and plenty of lubricating oil. If your tooling is a bit dull then the copper does not cut nicely. I have to rotate my cutting inserts constantly when working on copper, sometimes two or three times for one part while I can use one insert for many times the aluminum parts.

Flashaholic

I can make parts like bezels and such, but, I prefer to keep it hidden away inside the light.
    How much would it cost to have a bezel made for a solarforce?

Flashaholic*

About the same as someone making one out of titanium. To put things into perspective, to make a Z44 style bezel from plastic will take around two hours on my lathe. Brass is about three hours. Aluminum about 4 hours. Copper is about 8.

You've got to get a bigger lathe!

Craig

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    You've got to get a bigger lathe!

Craig
    ...and a bigger house to go with it!

Flashaholic

I know theres gotta be more cool copper stuff out there. Im suprised I haven't seen any copper embassy pens.

...and a bigger house to go with it!
    or a big shed in the back!
    Though - I still don't know what your house looks like. I need to drop by sometime and take a peek at the lathe.

Craig

Flashaholic*

It's small enough that I can just put it in the trunk of my car, bring it over to your house, make some parts, then bring it back home again. No, I'm not about to do that!

CPF member : foxtrot824 gave me the idea to build a desk lamp..Here is the thread where i got inspired:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...L-E&highlight=

Electronics aren't my thing so I just worked on the 'look' of the lamp. A friends two hundred ton break press put the 22 degree bend in the 7/8" X 1 3/8 thick copper bar stock

Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Flashaholic

Thats pretty sweet looking Griff. Is it led?

LED supply:
    3-up indus star LED

Cree® XLamp XP-G & XP-E LED(s) Reflowed on a LUXdrive™ MCPCB Star Board

it's hooked up to a Adjustable wall transformer 3,4.5,6,7.5,9,12 volt ,just slide the switch on the trans. It turns on low @ 4.5 volts and 12V is high. When its on 12 volts the copper gets up to to 88 degrees ....the heat sinking of the bar will override any excess heat
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Page 1 of 60 123456781151 ... LastLast