I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

flashlightist

Newly Enlightened
I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,

incandescent bulb gives warm light like the sun, while LED gives the cold light that I dont like

and I also love HID flashlight very much, it feels like a small solar torch

my friend gave me a custom HID, He told me it's smallest in the world.

I love it so much although I don't believe it's smallest.

Startup it takes a while

how about you?

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer incandescent light too - although still prefer LED for runtime, dimmability, shock resistance, and multi voltage ability (running liion and primary in the same light)

The Short Arc Xenon in my Maxabeam is very nice light too - almost daylight (similar to a camera flash)

yifu

Enlightened
Not all LEDs are cool white you know, you get get the daylight neutral white using a 4500K Nichia HiCRi 219 or the sunset warmth using a warm white high CRI. I love incans, but not for their warmth (warm white HiCRI LEDs can do that with triple the runtime) but because it, along with HIDs feel real, unlike solid state lighting. There's just something great about watching a filament glow, electrodes sparking etc as opposed to "flick a switch and let there be light" so of thing.

I guess this is why the majority of high end watches are mechanical, not electric, as a lot of people appreciate the more "realistic" feel of them, or why vinyl is still popular among audiophile circles etc.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually reach for a handy incandescent light, but will use LEDs for longer runtimes. Color rendition and warm hands are 2 good reasons to continue with incandescent flashlights.

yifu

Enlightened
Color rendition and outdoor depth of field are owned by incans.
This is actually a contentious and subjective point. Most of the incans in use today are actually halogen (traditional incans are banned in many countries, including Australia). Halogens have a Ra of 94-96, which is very close to the 92 typical CRI of high CRI LEDs. About depth of field, it's a subjective point and for my purposes, a ~8000K bluish HID allows me to see the furtherest, as most of the light is reflected back as opposed to being absorbed by browns/greens etc.

Daekar

Enlightened
I am of two minds on this, which I don't doubt will be rearranged once Matt finishes the triple Nichia P60 dropins, but right now my favorite light is my poor-mans M4 with a lumensfactory bulb and an AW soft start 3-level switch. The only disadvantage is the runtime, which really doesn't matter since I use it as a toy. The color and... well, things just look better to me with the LF bulb even if the competing LED has more power. I am definitely in the camp that appreciates both LEDs and our beloved hotwires. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,

incandescent bulb gives warm light like the sun, while LED gives the cold light that I don't like
You haven't been around very long it appears - get some premium emitters to compare against and even though you may still love your incans, as many of us do, you'll find that the warm>cold scenario just isn't a reality based perspective at this late date.

A good place to start might be a light with an hCRI XP-G - very, very incan-like and impossible not to love, if you love incans.

andyw513

Enlightened
I really dig incandescent lights, if not more, than led lighting. I use incan at work, mostly for being able to see things better and make out objects in the yellow-tinged hue that an incandescent can produce. While I also enjoy led, the warm tinted ones are by far my favorite, simply because they can almost accurately reproduce an incandescent light in value, while saving some duly necessary battery power.

Illum

Flashaholic
Incandescents, driven correctly, is very lovable.
Easily lovable even... I've found old love from it running the P90 with 2x17500s. LEDs still can't compare in the quality of its output. But runtime is... ahh, LEDs still have their advantages :)

fishndad

Enlightened
I love them too. They have better throw.

I dont think you have anyidea what your talking about.
a mag4d for example (incon) can barely outthrow a 2AA quark.
go to the web and look at some beamshots.I.E. Goingear has plenty.After you do so please feel
free to lead me to some examples of what incon can outthrow an LED.Ill be waiting.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I have 2 M6's. One with a Malkoff MD60 vs one with an MN21 - Sorry, the the MN21 throws further. And whatever is illuminated is much more realistic with the MN21.

I dont think you have anyidea what your talking about.
a mag4d for example (incon) can barely outthrow a 2AA quark.
go to the web and look at some beamshots.I.E. Goingear has plenty.After you do so please feel
free to lead me to some examples of what incon can outthrow an LED.Ill be waiting.

fishndad

Enlightened
I have 2 M6's. One with a Malkoff MD60 vs one with an MN21 - Sorry, the the MN21 throws further. And whatever is illuminated is much more realistic with the MN21.

look your not getting it guys,Light reguardless of the source,is light.It is bound by the laws of physics.
The concentrated amount of light produced by a source will only travel until refraction,reflection and
disipation has sufficiently reduced the concentration of particles below a level unseen by the human eye.
Incondescent light particles do not travel further than any other light particle.
PERHAPS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS DO NOT APPLY IN YOUR LIGHTS!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incan bulbs will however throw further with the same output due to the nature of the beam angle and surface brightness of a filament. It's easier to collimate. I have incan P60 drop-ins from DX which pull 2amps and only put out 120 lumens, but they will outthrow my 3 amp 750 lumen XM-L drop-ins or my XR-Es.

The whole tint thing won't be an issue for long I don't think though, LEDs are already pretty close to replicating incan tints and they will only improve.

Brigadier

Enlightened
don't know where you went to school, but last I checked light was a wave, not a particle. At least that is what they taught in engineering school in Physics class.

look your not getting it guys,Light reguardless of the source,is light.It is bound by the laws of physics.
The concentrated amount of light produced by a source will only travel until refraction,reflection and
disipation has sufficiently reduced the concentration of particles below a level unseen by the human eye.
Incondescent light particles do not travel further than any other light particle.
PERHAPS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS DO NOT APPLY IN YOUR LIGHTS!

Brigadier

Enlightened
They may be close in tint, but that does NOT mean they are the same. The incan produces much more of the visible light spectrum than a warm tinted LED. I bet if you shined a beam from an incan thru a prism, then the highest CRI LED thru one, you would see a big difference.

But then again, I may be wrong.

Incan bulbs will however throw further with the same output due to the nature of the beam angle and surface brightness of a filament. It's easier to collimate. I have incan P60 drop-ins from DX which pull 2amps and only put out 120 lumens, but they will outthrow my 3 amp 750 lumen XM-L drop-ins or my XR-Es.

The whole tint thing won't be an issue for long I don't think though, LEDs are already pretty close to replicating incan tints and they will only improve.