Klarus        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

Default Re: I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

I know this is an old thread, but here is what I think. A while back I retired my incandescents because all they had was standard output and the battery life wasn't that good. My LEDS seemed to put out soo much brighter light compared to bulbs, but I started reading about color rendering and I also learned that the government is out to do away with incandescent lighting. It seems that Leds are being forced on us if we want any kind of light. Now that government forcing foolishness along with me also kind of being a conspiracy theorist got me thinking...what's up with this? I still use led lights, but I also got more incans and use them regularly and I really do like them. They have their purpose and in case of a EMP crisis I'll have some light along with a few others in the family. I also found out that it is counterproductive to use a light that is brighter than what you need because the glareback reflection can ruin your night vision. We have gotten by for years without LEDS--think about that. LEDS are useful, but it might be wrong to get too caught up in them. If anybody though wants to throw their incans out the window just let me know and I will be waiting outside to catch them lol.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

I really like incandescent because of the tint and color rendition. It feels so natural and is pleasant for the eyes. Compared to the early generations of LEDs the LED just sucks with the cool bluish tint. But the development has went much further since then. Now there are a bunch of ~3000-4000K LEDs who very much remind of incandescent. There are also LEDs with 90+ CRI. I guess there is still a difference worth to appreciate but the huge difference in efficiency and durability/lifetime makes LED to be just great today. Consequently I think LED to a certain level has made incandescent superfluous.
    I MAY be wrong because I have still not experienced a 2000lm incandescent flashlight side by side to warm white LED....
    Actually I think this question is pretty much similar to the comparison between vinyl disc and CD...
    Last edited by Swedpat; 12-28-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Incandescent lights are just so darn pleasant. My dream LED is one that replicates good incandescent light. Or direct sunlight. Not the weird 6500K "daylight" that looks nothing like daylight to me. More like moonlight.

Flashaholic*

guys a think were all missing the coolest thing about incandescent lights... when the light is turned off and on there is a split second where you actually SEE it turning off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Incandescent lights are just so darn pleasant. My dream LED is one that replicates good incandescent light. Or direct sunlight. Not the weird 6500K "daylight" that looks nothing like daylight to me. More like moonlight.
    Moonlight is 4000K ... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Now there are a bunch of ~3000-4000K LEDs who very much remind of incandescent.
    For most flashlight owners, except when the batteries are new, they are highly unlikely to see 3000K very often. There are regulated incandescents, but they are not the normal experience. There is no incandescent at over 3400K except where the bulb has been filtered in which case it really isn't an incandescent spectrum any more.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    For most flashlight owners, except when the batteries are new, they are highly unlikely to see 3000K very often. There are regulated incandescents, but they are not the normal experience. There is no incandescent at over 3400K except where the bulb has been filtered in which case it really isn't an incandescent spectrum any more.
    I think you are right. Compared to incandescent side-by-side 4000K LED is noticeable cooler. Still I really get incandescent reminding feeling with 4000K. Warm white LED is so much closer to incandescent than a cool white LED is to warm white LED.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    ...I also learned that the government is out to do away with incandescent lighting. It seems that Leds are being forced on us if we want any kind of light.
    That was about 10 years ago and it was how they actually started pushing CFL's on us. Back at the time LED lighting was still not ready for prime time yet. I told everyone at work that within 10 years we'd have LED bulbs that were much better than CFL lighting as soon as A) Price came down, B) Output went up and C) Tints got close enough to incan for people to accept them. I was wrong about it taking 10 years as most of my friends had mostly converted to LED bulbs in their homes and businesses by 2015.

Incan will remain for many of us the gold standard for lighting, but I for one am very happy to have so many options available now. Just before posting I picked up my trusty E1e and compared its tint to my 3500k Rotary and there is less difference between them than there is between many incan bulbs.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I think you are right. Compared to incandescent side-by-side 4000K LED is noticeable cooler. Still I really get incandescent reminding feeling with 4000K. Warm white LED is so much closer to incandescent than a cool white LED is to warm white LED.
    That's why my 3500k lights are my absolute favorites. Reasonably warm, but white enough to use as an everyday tool.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

My wife prefers the whiter colour of the led lights so hers is a polystinger led. Probably my favourite led light. I carry a neutral XML p60 drop in in a solar force host at work mainly due to the lower low and blistering high when I'm in a higher ambient light area. But for home use I always use an Incan. I never need super long runtime and much prefer the quality of light. My 3c mag puts out ~175 lumens for ~2 hours. What more does a person need.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456