Do you at times feel as though you’re the “Thread Killer”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know the last one to make a post in a thread and no one relies after your post! .... Yup, sometimes I feel that I'm the "Thread Killer"!

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to think of it as having provided a comprehensive reply to the OP such that no one else thinks they can add more to the excellent post that then ends up being the last reply.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Someone here has that "Official" Thread Killer title under his name .... forgot who

But YES .... we all feel that way at times. I like subwoofers definition of it .

~

(Edit ....... just remembered ... Member "illum" has that Official Title .)

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to think of it as having provided a comprehensive reply to the OP such that no one else thinks they can add more to the excellent post that then ends up being the last reply.

I should paste this in my signature, or the place that a lot of folks list what light they own! I like that!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yes, nicely put, hehe!

(oh wait, now that he's taken all the energy out of finding the answer, this thread too will die!)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, nicely put, hehe!

(oh wait, now that he's taken all the energy out of finding the answer, this thread too will die!)

muttly.gif

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
yes. i do too.

but most times its because im a bit too late to really join in the "real time reply chat".. and just end up repeating or recapping what others said. :) everyone else have said what they wanted to say before me so they dont come back anymore to reply to me.. or actually they find my response not worthy of replying to.. but i dont fret. i do still do alot of "no sense" stuff. :D

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

This is gonna be like a game of musical chairs ..............

so who's gonna be sitting in the last chair when the music stops ?

~

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah...I see what might happen here.....

In the meantime we could discuss the topic - maybe we always want there to be a reply to the threads we post in, just to maintain the pretence of a conversation, human contact, answers to our questions etc. and if there are none - we feel that much more than the threads we post in and receive our answer.

Therefore we only remember the unanswered questions, because they make us feel more alone or ignored. THAT'S IT! We always want a reply to feed our own self importance, to secure our place in history with an indelible (unless by moderator or forum glitch, natch) and public record of conversations and thoughts that can be read by all and sundry the world over. We exist because someone else has read our typed thoughts and chosen to respond. If no response, maybe we die a little inside and retreat into our shells a bit more. Right now I can remember many posts where I have had the last word - there is no triumph in those memories, only failiure.

(Sub, just trying out your theory...)

"...and the monkey pulls the switch!"

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should we add the following quote?

"Last one out, turn off the lights."

No, that would just be wrong.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was half tempted not to reply to see if Tony would follow through on his bet :devil:

nbp

Flashaholic
Ah...I see what might happen here.....

In the meantime we could discuss the topic - maybe we always want there to be a reply to the threads we post in, just to maintain the pretence of a conversation, human contact, answers to our questions etc. and if there are none - we feel that much more than the threads we post in and receive our answer.

Therefore we only remember the unanswered questions, because they make us feel more alone or ignored. THAT'S IT! We always want a reply to feed our own self importance, to secure our place in history with an indelible (unless by moderator or forum glitch, natch) and public record of conversations and thoughts that can be read by all and sundry the world over. We exist because someone else has read our typed thoughts and chosen to respond. If no response, maybe we die a little inside and retreat into our shells a bit more. Right now I can remember many posts where I have had the last word - there is no triumph in those memories, only failiure.

(Sub, just trying out your theory...)

"...and the monkey pulls the switch!"

That's actually a very reasonable theory.

I think electronic communications in general have a certain level of addictiveness built into their use, such that we get a tiny high off of others replying to us, via email, txt, post, tweet, etc. We crave that reply, and wait for it, like an addict waiting for a hit. But once we get it, we just want the next.

Anyone who has been bored and sent a few txts to friends, only to wait forever for replies knows what I'm talking about. The ping! of your phone going off is the fix you want.

We're all screwed up, guys. :shrug:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually a very reasonable theory.

I think electronic communications in general have a certain level of addictiveness built into their use, such that we get a tiny high off of others replying to us, via email, txt, post, tweet, etc. We crave that reply, and wait for it, like an addict waiting for a hit. But once we get it, we just want the next.

Anyone who has been bored and sent a few txts to friends, only to wait forever for replies knows what I'm talking about. The ping! of your phone going off is the fix you want.

We're all screwed up, guys. :shrug:

I'm sure you're right, and BTW, thank you for giving me my fix for the day - a quote included and a direct reply is 100% pure, you know, 'the good stuff'

I'm off to bed while the going's good and the shakes have gone.

Back tomorrow though!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We have one "official" CPF Thread Killer.

His name is Illum and when he posts . . . watch out! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.