Will the AF02 bike mount fit the fenix headband clamp?

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Hi

My first post:)- long time reader and admirer of the skills and knowledge here. Usually I manage to find what I need but struggling this time.

Essentially I'm looking to take one half of the AF02 and fit it to one half of the original clamp on the Fenix headband.

Why? Well- I'm trying to get a bit more light for running- currently I use an LD20 in the Fenix headband. I was going to buy an HP11 but I think the torches are better and I've not seen a headlamp that does what I want.

In order to get more light, I'd like to go with rechargeable 18650 batteries- I have it in my head that rechargeable CR123's aren't that good so that's the logic there.

Trouble with all the torches that use 18650 batteries is that they are all 25.4mm diameter which doesn't fit the Fenix headband.

However, I have come across the EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky which is 23mm and will fit although the clamp wont be flush closed. The only issue is I'm not that excited about the operation of it with all the twisting.
I also looked at the PD32 which i quite like but I do fancy a step up in performance with a Klarus XT11 or similar:D. Using that and my LD20 the weight would be the same as the HP11 anyway- more or less.

As these bodies are too big for the Fenix headband, I've been looking for options- I saw the thread about the Twofish Lockblock but not sure how it would hold while running in the way depicted ie velcro'd around the existing clamp. My own idea was to get a bit of 18-20mm plastic pipe, mount that with the Fenix headband clamp and then use the Twofish Lockblock on that.

Worried about it slipping round I looked for other clamps and found the Fenix AF02 clamp. So, back to original point:laughing:, does anyone know if you can unscrew the top half of that and then attach that to the fixed half of the Fenix headband clamp which can be unscrewed? It would be a much simpler solution and look much better.

That way you could use torches up to 28mm- though a 28mm diameter body may require a large neck:laughing:

Anyway apologies for rambling on but some background info there for context- any alternative options gratefully received.

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Have emailed Fenix (which I only thought of today- doh!) to see if they know but I suspect it might be that it physically has to be tried.

I'm tempted to get some pipe and give the total bodge way a go and if it works spray the pipe black to finish it off as I can't seem to find black plastic in the usual DIY stores- blue or white only it seems. It might be that this way will work well as the torch will sit higher so may interfere less in peripheral vision.

I'll update the thread with any news as there must be more people than me who want to mount a larger torch to the headband...mmm...maybe the lack of info out there is a subtle hint about the plan :laughing:

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
Why not just buy a ZebraLight H600 and pair that with a Nite Ize headband. Several runners have reported good results with that combination.

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Why not just buy a ZebraLight H600 and pair that with a Nite Ize headband. Several runners have reported good results with that combination.

It had crossed my mind to get a Zebralight H600 but then I was sort of put off by the non traditional design; I turned to the SC60; then the SC600 and then ended up where I am:thinking::D

You make a good point though about the H600- it does look fairly bright depending on how close their ratings are to the real world and I'm usually not one to shy away from doing the opposite to everyone else as well. I do like the ability to rotate the fenix clamp so what I would probably do is attach the clamp to the Zebralight headband. A bit heavier than the Nite Ize but think would suit me more.

I'll see if Fenix come back to me and then decide- I guess if I end up buying two lights it's not the end of the world- judging by some on here you can never have enough lights- and for a lot of us, a big enough credit card:laughing:

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Credit to Fenix, they replied but I'm now more confused as she seemed to suggest they no longer make the AF02 and that the TK series aren't 25.4mm diameter in body. I maybe wasn't the clearest so have resorted to photoshop in effort to solve anything lost in translation. At this stage I didn't mention licencing and royalties;):laughing: