2000 Ford Taurus looking for projector headlight assembly and brightest lights legal

icyman61

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from Argentina and had bixenon installed there, I LOVED them. Now I want to install some new headlights on my 2000 Ford Taurus so I can see better while driving here in Georgia. I am looking for the projector headlight assembly, and the brightest possible headlights I can get here yet remain legal. Can anyone help me out with a link, or advice?:sssh:

I appreciate your time for reading this and possibly helping me and my family out. Thank You

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Projectors and BiXenon are not available for your car. Any projector-type headlamp you might find for your Taurus will be of unacceptably poor quality and performance, and will not comply with the applicable safety regulations -- there are a lot of what might best be called "headlight shaped toys" on the market for all kinds of vehicles, but very(!) few acceptable aftermarket headlamps from legitimate makers, and none for the 2000 Taurus.

Keep in mind that "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal.

The only legitimate/safe/legal upgrades for your 2000 Taurus will be to make sure the headlamps are in like-new condition (if not, replace them with new genuine Ford ones), install relays and good wiring to bring full power to the bulbs (along the lines of this description), put in GE Night Hawk Platinum 9007NHP or Philips Xtreme Power 9007XP bulbs (don't use any others), and make sure the lamps are aimed carefully and correctly.

Qship1996

Enlightened
And consider adding a good pair of driving lamps to supplement high beam usage if the above doesnt completely satisfy your needs.

2000mc

Newly Enlightened
when i got my current car i added lights first, which were atleast twice as bright as the headlights then. then i pieced together something very similar to what scheinwerfermann suggested. now my low beams are brighter than most cars on the road, and feel like the hellas were a waste

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
And consider adding a good pair of driving lamps to supplement high beam usage if the above doesnt completely satisfy your needs.

I always wonder why everyone wants to have better high beams. For me, it's my low beams that could stand to be better (even though they're pretty good). The problem is that my high beams work GREAT, but I must always dip them due to oncoming traffic. I don't like to drive very fast at night, as low beams just don't work that well at 70mph. Sure, I could speed up and slow down, but that uses tons of gas.

I feel like I'm setting myself up for Schrödinger's Deer, but I don't like going 70 and dipping my beams for the oncoming car, as there are several seconds between the time that I must dip the beam and when I can raise them again-- and that's assuming it's only one car, not a string of them.

Whatever happened to you, O "Super-Lite"?

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I guess it depends where you drive and under what conditions. I mostly drive rural blacktop. On most nights, in places where there are no other lights and very few relective road signs to shine back at you, and little to no other traffic, there's no such thing as too much range for your high beams. Deer and other animals are hard to see before they jump in front of you, and you want all the advance warning you can get. Get into even modest traffic on a freeway and you need to lose the super long range lights. At times you find you want a "mid beam" or auxiliary low beam.

If I'm in fog or snow, then suddenly really good low beams, with virtually no upward glare, are important.

I'll not say which is more important, only that much of my night driving is on lonely country roads, and seeing the animals first is important. I'm well aware that if I'm moving fast and have to dim for traffic I'm likely to be outdriving my lights for a moment with even a very good low beam.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really liking the Hella bixenon modules mounted as auxiliary lights. It's the best of both worlds, great "extra" low beam and a searing high beam. Well worth the cost.

ChaudMasterFlex

Newly Enlightened
99% of the time anything brighter then factory is illegal. You should always consider heavy duty harness's before running higher watt bulbs.