• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 119 Battery Life with McGizmo 2xAA Clicky Pack

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Let's cut to the chase. When using the 2xAA pack with the 119...

1. lower/same lumens?
2. battery life difference? (any estimates for the 3S?)

Thanks!

mostel california

Newly Enlightened
I just got the 2xaa 119 Haiku. Don told me, before I bought it, that the performance is identical to cr123 BUT longer life with 2xAA. I happen to prefer the long handle as well. By the way, I agree with the many posts that praise the 119 for color rendering. It's really pure.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ah thanks that's what I'm looking for. By longer life, it's an appreciable difference or more of a paper "hey 6 minutes longer is longer" type?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Anyone? Don? Three beauties now waiting for an extender :) that doesn't sound quite right...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Anyone? Don? Three beauties now waiting for an extender :) that doesn't sound quite right...

Sorry but I have not done run time tests on the 2xAA and it would depend on what flavor of battery you put in there.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The two AA would be 2 x Imedion 2400mAh. Even a best guesstimate would be great. We've determined the output to be similar (realistically probably a smidge lower) but the runtime effect is unknown.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be nice to know. Lately I have been thinking along the longer runtime idea. I like the idea of running it on a couple of Eneloop batteries but personally I prefer the light to be no longer than the 2x CR123 tube. I apologize for crashing into your thread, but instead of starting a new thread on a simple question I hope you don't mind me asking here. Just want to know if Don is able to provide a 6V module with Nichia 119 to run on the 2x CR123 tube? Would it have better run time? Again apologies to you. I will keep this short.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
...... Just want to know if Don is able to provide a 6V module with Nichia 119 to run on the 2x CR123 tube? Would it have better run time? .......
A Nichia 119 LE for Mule, Haiku, SunDrop XR-U or Makai head can certainly be made using the buck converter which would be appropriate for 2x123. Such a LE would certainly have longer run time than similar one powered off single 1x123. As for guestimating what batteries would provide how much run time, I defer to the guys here who are more up on the various batteries and their capacities.

From my simple view of things, 2x(1.5v @ 2400mAh) would give 3V @ 2400 mAh and comparing that to a CR123 of 3V @ 1300 mAh in terms of run time would roughly translate to the comparison of 2400 VS 1300 which is not quite double the capacity so not quite double the run time. Those of you who know better or can chime in with a more accurate assessment, please do so.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Perfect, thanks Don. On the other hand, damn... More money going to Hawaii :)

I might have to take one for the team.

Would think that 2xAA providing less voltage takes a toll on the runtime and output. Eg. 2x1.2v vs 1x3.7v...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Don. Sounds good to me. But the thought of running 2 x AA also sounds good. Can't decide which I prefer.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
OReceived it... Once the CBA IIIs at work are free, I can do some runtime tests. I need a data logging DMM...

Don't like the tail switch though. It's 3 modes but changes on a simple tap rather than the deep throw on others (in momentary on)

Never mind that. I'm crazy. The other lights do that too....

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
OReceived it... Once the CBA IIIs at work are free, I can do some runtime tests. I need a data logging DMM...

Don't like the tail switch though. It's 3 modes but changes on a simple tap rather than the deep throw on others (in momentary on)

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Found out something... Eneloops fit no problem but Imedion, Energizer and some Soshine AA I have are a tight fit -- some enough that I don't want to risk having to remove the switch to poke em out.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
First current check with Haiku 219.

Using AW 16340
23. 78. 415.

Using 2x Eneloop
27. 106. 630.

Funny though, the Mule 219 and AW 16340 pulls harder on high (690mA) but same on low and med.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium based batteries are preffered for electronics, because their voltage stays rather stable under load, while the one of NiMh drops with the load.

With a low or medium draw, the voltage probably stays somewhere near the working voltage (should be 2,4V) for the 2 Eneloops, while it drops at the high load. The 16340 should keep around 3,7V on high, could be higher on low and perhaps also on medium.

According to my theory, the draw on high seems to be the logical one however, while the ones on low and med should be higher for the Enbeloops (35 and 120 mA). That's theory though and it never works that way in reality...

First current check with Haiku 219.

Using AW 16340
23. 78. 415.

Using 2x Eneloop
27. 106. 630.

Funny though, the Mule 219 and AW 16340 pulls harder on high (690mA) but same on low and med.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium based batteries are preffered for electronics, because their voltage stays rather stable under load, while the one of NiMh drops with the load.

With a low or medium draw, the voltage probably stays somewhere near the working voltage (should be 2,4V) for the 2 Eneloops, while it drops at the high load. The 16340 should keep around 3,7V on high, could be higher on low and perhaps also on medium.

According to my theory, the draw on high seems to be the logical one however, while the ones on low and med should be higher for the Enbeloops (35 and 120 mA). That's theory though and it never works that way in reality...

Aren't lithium batteries preferred mainly because they have a much higher energy density? I know that in led lights they are preferred because their operating voltages are the most simliar to that Vf of most leds. Thes less voltage transformation/boosting a driver has to do the more efficient it is.

Also NiMHs with a low internal resistance have a flatter discharge curve than all 3,7V lithium rechargeables. Thats why people use NiMHs instead of IMRs in lights with the sst-90.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I know that in led lights they [lithiums] are preferred because their operating voltages are the most simliar to that Vf of most leds. Thes less voltage transformation/bossting a driver has to do the more efficient it is.

Which is why the current draw on high using NiMH is much greater. A boost is required to get the 2.4-8v to the proper level.