Recommend me a flashlight!

yyrm

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. I copied the questions from the sticky and filled them out.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $30

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

alkaline

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I am looking for something with 2 modes, a dim reading mode and also a bright 100-200 lumen mode.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

20 - 40 yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

3+ hours. The longer the better

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I will be using it for camping, so it's pretty important.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I don't know. Just a simple on/off switch is fine.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 2 light levels

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Color filters would be nice but aren't necessary. I would consider paying a few extra bucks for one that came with a blue or green filter.

I have a feeling I am hoping for too much for just $30 or less, but hey.

benm11

Newly Enlightened
I believe the surefire e2l aa version would fit the bill for all parts except budget....but like they say...you get what you pay for :).

Good luck!

yyrm

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I think I can do without the dual mode and the filters, and probably don't need more than 100 lumens. I should have said in my first post that battery life is the most important to me.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery type besides being alkaline? AAA, AA, CR123, 18650 etc?
FYI, not advisable to use alkaline since they tend to leak if left unchecked and your light will probably be kaput due to that.

yyrm

Newly Enlightened
Battery type besides being alkaline? AAA, AA, CR123, 18650 etc?
FYI, not advisable to use alkaline since they tend to leak if left unchecked and your light will probably be kaput due to that.

Good to know. I figured alkaline batteries are the easiest to come by when traveling since they're sold pretty much everywhere, but knowing that they leak, I think I will go for another battery type. Can someone link me to a thread which discusses the pros/cons of the various batteries?

Danielight

Enlightened
Good to know. I figured alkaline batteries are the easiest to come by when traveling since they're sold pretty much everywhere, but knowing that they leak, I think I will go for another battery type. Can someone link me to a thread which discusses the pros/cons of the various batteries?
That's not to say you can't use alkalines in a pinch. You just don't want to get a light and use alkalines all of the time. If I were you, I would get an affordable light that runs on a single AA battery, but then use either lithium primaries (e.g., Energizer Ultimates) or NiMH rechargeables (e.g., Eneloop AAs). You might be interested in some of the flashlights offered on the Shining Beam website.