orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I keep a tight computer,

I'v used Firefox for awhile now, 8 years at least
Cookies are Off unless I need them for something
Zero online cache allowed
Current Adblock Plus

I'm particularly anal about Local Shared Objects and not allowing anything stored,,, especially 3rd party.
I use CCleaner everyday

****So here's the deal;
I was just looking at a cassette for my bike on Amazon yesterday, and today I get an email from Amazon about the exact cassette I was looking at.
(no, I didn't add to cart & no, I was NOT logged in)

To put this as mildly as possibly, I was not impressed!!!

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you gave them your email - so you've made an account! I assume you were logged in, then?

C

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't mention whether or not you were logged into Amazon at the time and left out some important details about your personal situation with your computer but it ultimately doesn't matter. You've brought up an important topic.

As you've discovered, it becoming increasingly difficult to preserve your privacy online. This can only be accomplished, if it can be accomplished at all if people proactively take steps to prevent tracking.

Most average people I talk to are completely oblivious to the fact that tracking is going on at all and would be astonished to learn how rampant it is and what lengths corporations are going to to identify individual users and invade your privacy. Some people are vaguely aware of tracking and they know a little about cookies but don't give the matter much thought. Any given commercial web page can have literally dozens of tracking schemes in play all at once not including cookies!

It is very good that you are being careful about Local Shared Objects (LSOs). If you are not already using it, the browser plug-in BetterPrivacy is vital in this regard. It will make managing this problem much easier.

Check out Ghostery , a browser plug-in that enables its users to easily detect and control web bugs, that are objects embedded in a web page, invisible to the user, that allow the collection of data on the user's browsing habits. You can download it here.

One vital tool is NoScript an extension that provides important security as well as privacy protection. Many would be amazed to learn about how many individual scripts are running on most web pages they visit. While some of these scripts just enable certain functionalities, many serve tracking and other unwelcomed purposes.

Another important privacy add-on for Firefox and other browsers is Adblock Plus that provides filters for various embedded elements that are designed to feed you ads based on your habits and other insidious stuff like collecting information about your individual browsing habits and preferences.

An even scarier tracking method that has been under the radar for sometime now is called Browser Fingerprinting that can identify your unique web browser without cookies. Check out Panopticlick from The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to learn more about this and to check your computer's uniqueness. If you've never heard of Browser Fingerprinting start by reading this article in PC World. (This is an older article written before fingerprinting became as wide spread as it now appears to be.)

Another consideration is whether you have a Static (fixed) IP address usually found on cable systems or a Dynamic IP address (changes when you disconnect and reconnect) typical of dial-up or DSL. Obviously if you always have the same IP address all the time, your computer will always be identifiable.

Finally, the New York Times published a good article a few weeks ago titled, How to Muddy Your Tracks on the Internet - well worth reading.

This is a huge, important topic that is only touched on here and deserves wider attention. Thanks, orbital for posting about it.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
You dont have to be logged in to be carrying around a tracking cookie. Cookies can be stored everywhere, not just the browser (html5, flash and/or URL for example). I would have to agree with your subject, online and privacy dont go together.

kristine

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am just new in this forum. For me, I believe there is still privacy. For example, there are sites that allows us to go on public or not. If we choose to keep it private then it is safe, but for public then we know that our Privacy is truly gone. If we don't trust the sites, it is better not to even click it. Always think before you click.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google 'Super Cookie'.

Super Cookies is simply another term for the previously mentioned LSOs - Local Shared Object. They are also known as Flash Cookies. (This excellent link will explain what they are and show you how to set Flash Player not to accept them.)

The most effective and convenient method for managing, observing, counting and eliminating Flash Cookies aka Super Cookies aka Local Shared Objects is the browser plug-in BetterPrivacy which you can download HERE.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
...comment deleted, what I wanted to say could get too complex to discuss on a forum. really needs a week-long class.

summary: there is no complete privacy, never was, and never will be. legal entites always have access to enough info
to physically locate you. your data might be encrypted but your location cannot be hidden 100%

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tracking cookies relay information quickly. For example. I bought an LED to replace the burned out bulb in my car's radio display. Within minutes six or seven companies that sell LEDs sent me email! I reset my browser almost daily, but if the tracking cookie is there (& it is) information your information is out. Some websites also sell/exchange information with their "associates." I keep third party cookies turned off. Cookies are set even though you are not logged on. Regularly deleting cookies means you have to log on to your favorite sites again, but it is helpful.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Welcome to the Machine......

cloud_rotator.jpg

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another privacy tool that's been getting good reviews is Abine's free Do Not Track Plus which you can download HERE.

Even if you don't download this free tool their short video "Do Not Track Plus Explained" gives an excellent (although somewhat simplified) overview of how (some) tracking works on the internet and why it is a bad thing.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Dont ever log-in to google if you worry about privacy. Its amazing how far it goes.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the best method I've found for eliminating the problem on Windows platforms is to re-direct all temp and cache locations to a RAM drive, which then gets vaporized when the machine is rebooted regardless of file system exploits and rights issues. I personally don't trust 3rd party *anything* to handle these type of problems because if that plug-in or application has access to the API calls involved then likely so does malicious software. Given the benefit of the doubt I totally agree Firefox is better at handling these objects than IE is though. Even with IE 9 I'm finding the same legacy issue with ~temp internet files not being scrubbed when set with a GPO, and other annoyances that go back a decade. Likely why I'm typing this with Linux right now.

Thinking about there's no reason that a modern browser would require cached anything. I have a sneaky suspicion there's a law enforcement angle to this.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the advise EZO on BetterPrivacy. I have been a long time user of Firefox, already had Adblock Plus & NoScript. BetterPrivacy is on my laptop now!

127.0.0.1 Read with interest your thread on Facebook. Sorry for my trivial posts. Got a bee in my bonnet about the smartphone app. Anyway, The comments you deleted in this thread were they in reference to "Sand box" I have kaspersky and that allows for browser sand box. Is that any good? or just hype or something else entirely.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for the advise EZO on BetterPrivacy. I have been a long time user of Firefox, already had Adblock Plus & NoScript. BetterPrivacy is on my laptop now!

You're welcome! I would definitely encourage you to explore Ghostery and consider adding it to your add-on and plug-in arsenal.

Here is some info about Ghostery from their web site:

Ghostery sees the invisible web - tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons. Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity. After showing you who's tracking you, Ghostery also gives you a chance to learn more about each company it identifies. How they describe themselves, a link to their privacy policies, and a sampling of pages where we've found them are just a click away.Ghostery allows you to block scripts from companies that you don't trust, delete local shared objects, and even block images and iframes. Ghostery puts your web privacy back in your hands.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Just installed Ghostery. Going through the config walkthrough now. i may be some time!!! Thanx again:thumbsup:

Update:
I'm finding these cafe treads more interesting than the flashlight ones at the moment. Must remember i want a new flashlight some time soon!!!!!!:twak:

2nd Update:
For those thinking of installing Ghostery in firefox. It installs actually very quickly. It leaves an icon in the address toolbar. Hover over with the curser and it tells you if there is any trackers on the web page you are on. CPF=0, Ebay frontpage=1 Youtube frontpage =1. Adjustment can be made via "tools" in the menu bar or clicking on the icon.

For those thinking of installing BetterPrivacy in firefox. Also very quick install. This appears when closing the browser telling you that it is deleting the previously mentioned LSO's and how many.

These are just my initial first 10 minute observations. Others can tell you far, far, far more. Read :bow: EZO's posts and links !!! Visit mozilla Add-ons etc...etc.. Stay Safe People

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the Options & Help section of BetterPrivacy's preference pane you can opt to add "Flash Cookies" to the list of deleted items in Firefox's "Clear Recent History" drop down menu selection. If you then select the "Clear history when Firefox closes" option in the Privacy section of Firefox preferences it will clear everything you select on the list including standard cookies as well as Super Cookies when you quit. I find clearing the browser, thus having to log back into sites like CPF that require a password to be a small price to pay for added privacy.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm usually looking for is fastest browsing, most screen real estate and browser staying up on a low power netbook with lots of tabs open... I'm using Chrome.
I would like to be tracked as little as possible but the few times I've messed with privacy apps they seem to have slowed me down a bit.
I would be very interested in light weight privacy apps that don't slow page loading down or bother me unless I look at them, a little multi-colored icon in the corner would be perfect, if it's yellow or red I'd go ahead and and take a look.
Any suggestions?

Learning to save cookies and all other bugs and detritus to a ram disk sounds like a great trick.
Likewise, learning to configure a virtual machine that loads up fresh and new every session with dynamic IP and some other random costumery, while still saving bookmarks and all -seems ideal.

BTW, I do watch the targeted adds and try and ascertain what they're watching and what they're after, friendly little reminders... "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Goethe

Last edited: