What would be the brightest mini EDC for the money?

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a nice mini EDC and been checking on some nice mini EDC on other posts such as Jet-beam RRT01 or TCR1, Fenix e15, Quark mini 123, Olight mini, palight z3 mini, etc...
They all look nice to me and as a newbie I would like to get as much input before ordering anything. What would be best for the money? Seem to me that jet beam is the brightest?
Thanks for any input guys!

Last edited:

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Re: What would be best mini EDC for the money?

I am looking to get a nice mini EDC and been checking on some nice mini EDC on other posts such as Jet-beam RRT01 or TCR1, Fenix e15, Quark mini 123, Olight mini, palight z3 mini, etc...
They all look nice to me and as a newbie I would like to get as much input before ordering anything. What would be best for the money? Seem to me that jet beam is the brightest?
Thanks for any input guys!

what sort of money? If you want brightest (most lumens) you could take a look at the miniX123 from 4sevens! It will probably be really floody but have the highest lumen output... I do like my miniAA, but I recommend getting a slightly larger Quark with the tailcap instead. It'll probably be easier to use and you can lego parts as well as run some li-ion batteries!

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened

Thanks!
Since I don't buy many light on each category most likely would be 1 or 2 so no price range limited.
Yes I would like the most lumens out there, I have checked 4sevens and the miniX z123 discontinue? And does jet beam has the best lumens on the list?

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened

Thanks!
Since I don't buy many light on each category most likely would be 1 or 2 so no price range limited.
Yes I would like the most lumens out there, I have checked 4sevens and the miniX z123 discontinue? And does jet beam has the best lumens on the list?
Ah, you're on their old site. Their new site is spelled foursevens.com I think its called the Mini MLX (210 lumens on max). I'm not 100% sure on the highest lumens in your list, but you should be warned that not all lumens are equal. Some manufactures overrate their lumens while others underrate them. The best thing you can do is go to goinggear.com and check out their huge review videos! Good luck!

fishndad

Enlightened

the rrt01 has more output than the quark but the pc10 has even more output and the pa10 even more.
dont fall into the( who has a bigger wiener) contest.
buy from a standpoint of function,The rrt01 is my favorite edc.very small,excepts rcr's,infinate variable control ring and Ti pocket clip.
Though night eye now makes the same light (eye10) i think,it has an op reflector and its $70.
Good luck

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened

Ah, you're on their old site. Their new site is spelled foursevens.com I think its called the Mini MLX (210 lumens on max). I'm not 100% sure on the highest lumens in your list, but you should be warned that not all lumens are equal. Some manufactures overrate their lumens while others underrate them. The best thing you can do is go to goinggear.com and check out their huge review videos! Good luck!
Thanks, I have found the new site. And yes I totally beware that many brands over rated their lumens.

the rrt01 has more output than the quark but the pc10 has even more output and the pa10 even more.
dont fall into the( who has a bigger wiener) contest.
buy from a standpoint of function,The rrt01 is my favorite edc.very small,excepts rcr's,infinate variable control ring and Ti pocket clip.
Though night eye now makes the same light (eye10) i think,it has an op reflector and its $70.
Good luck
I am leaning forward to the brightness but rrt01 is a good choice. I just need to get more input from experienced EDC owners before ordering. Thanks!

so open ended

regular money
fenix ld01 AAA

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
Don't know if you've bought a 1 X CR123 EDC light yet but since you stated you want the brightest light out I would recommend the new EagleTac D25C clicky with the XM-L U2 emitter. I have one, with another on the way and at 770 OTF lumens on Li-ions (per selfbuilt's recent review on this forum) it's got to be one of, if not THE brightest single 123 production lights currently available. It blows away my Sunwayman V11r and its 500 lumens...the ET is shockingly brighter, and a lot smaller! Beware though, with 3.7v Li-ions it gets very warm within 10 to 15 seconds so can only safely use it for short bursts. (Also much smaller and brighter than the RRT-01 as well).

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is I bought one. My Eagletac D25C U2 clicky should arrive tomorrow. A pocket rocket with plenty of wow factor. I would recommend using a single IMR 16340, due to the high drain.

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is I bought one. My Eagletac D25C U2 clicky should arrive tomorrow. A pocket rocket with plenty of wow factor. I would recommend using a single IMR 16340, due to the high drain.

+1 just be aware that some of the heads on this model flicker on rcr123 cells

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if you've bought a 1 X CR123 EDC light yet but since you stated you want the brightest light out I would recommend the new EagleTac D25C clicky with the XM-L U2 emitter. I have one, with another on the way and at 770 OTF lumens on Li-ions (per selfbuilt's recent review on this forum) it's got to be one of, if not THE brightest single 123 production lights currently available. It blows away my Sunwayman V11r and its 500 lumens...the ET is shockingly brighter, and a lot smaller! Beware though, with 3.7v Li-ions it gets very warm within 10 to 15 seconds so can only safely use it for short bursts. (Also much smaller and brighter than the RRT-01 as well).
No I don't have any 1X cr123 EDC light just yet, D25C only good for that short time in high mode?

Thanks!
+1 just be aware that some of the heads on this model flicker on rcr123 cells

cyclesport

Enlightened
The D25C, as well as the RRT-01, V11R, and several other next generation 1 X CR123 XM-L lights are capable of being driven hard with RCR123/16340 Li-ion batteries, hence the reason you are getting these staggering lumen outputs. With these Li-ion batteries there are trade-offs, and primarily that is excessive heat that has the potential to shorten the emitter life or destroy it. So yes, when heat becomes noticable in your hand, simply turn it down or off till it cools a little. You can can still get very respectable lumen outputs with CR123 primaries just 20 to 40% less in some cases but the light will stay much cooler for longer periods of time.

Last edited:

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
The D25C, as well as the RRT-01, V11R, and several other next generation 1 X CR123 XM-L lights are capable of being driven hard with RCR123/16340 Li-ion batteries, hence the reason you are getting these staggering lumen outputs. With these Li-ion batteries there are trade-offs, and primarily that is excessive heat that has the potential to shorten the emitter life or destroy it. So yes, when heat becomes noticable in your hand, simply turn it down or off till it cools a little. You can can still get very respectable lumen outputs with CR123 primaries just 20 to 40% less in some cases but the light will stay much cooler for longer periods of time.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Probably going to get D25C clicky and for sure a Zebralight SC600 for my EDC

bstrickler

Enlightened
Brightest EDC for the money, assuming you don't care about runtime:

Solarforce L2m $13
AW IMR 16340 $7
Link removed $16

First 2 can be bought from Light Hound.

Some reports of it drawing 3+ amps on startup, with an 18650. Should get similar, with an IMR 16340. You WILL blind people if they are very close to you, and you shine it in their eyes.

The big downside:
Medium and low have the annoying PWM garbage. I notice it when I'm not even moving, that's how bad it is, so I just leave it on high 99% of the time.

Total cost: $35, not including charger. Add $18 for the Ultrafire WF-139 charger. Call it $55 if you include the charger. Not bad for something that small!

~Brian

Last edited by a moderator: