SunwayLED
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 47 of 47

Thread: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

  1. #31
    Flashaholic* f22shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    shanghai
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    is there any easy way to remove the clip?

  2. #32

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    I haven't tried yet but looks like you could stick a flat tip into the little gap to lift up the coupling. I'll give it a shot later and report back on the experience.

  3. #33
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sfv, california
    Posts
    1,627

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Such an excellent and thorough review, really tempted to try out the 18650.

  4. #34
    Flashaholic* f22shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    shanghai
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    I haven't tried yet but looks like you could stick a flat tip into the little gap to lift up the coupling. I'll give it a shot later and report back on the experience.
    do not use metal. the ano is so rubbish it's easy to damage.
    this clip is crap seriously. it's too weak to really grab onto anything and not deep enough for the pocket. i think you are more likely to lose the light using the clip.

    i used floss to remove the clip. video coming up.


    edit:
    video link
    http://youtu.be/nI5eWJBdSso

    Last edited by f22shift; 08-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.

  5. #35

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Pretty neat, thx for sharing. FWIW, I used a small flat tip screwdriver and yes, it did incur a nick to the clip's finish but overall it was pretty easy to remove:


    XENO should've also machined another groove at the other end near the tail cap so the clip could be reversible at least and perhaps carry a little deeper due to the positioning:

    (note: clip was not tightened in above pic thus the gap)

    Cheers,
    Tim

  6. #36
    Flashaholic* f22shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    shanghai
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    hmm. i think your way is easier. i noticed my way sort of deform the clip just slightly that it wouldn't lock back into the original location.
    is your clip able to reinstall the same way from the factory?

    yeah it would be better on the other end. i still think the clip material is too thin and doesn't have good tension. and the way the clip is positioned, 1/3 of the light is already out of the pocket so it's easy for the rest to go with it.

    i have the V2 and notice that the mode order is M-L-H not H-M-L. not a deal killer but good to know.

  7. #37

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Ha, I'm having a VERY difficult time getting the clip back on now... =P I think the trick it to apply pressure on the opposite end of the "dove tail" so that the "handles" align with the groove but looks like I'll need some kind of tool to apply enough pressure to click the dovetail together.

    Agreed that overall, the clip is a weak point for the S3A. I'll let you know if I do manage to reinstall it.

    @THE dAY - Thx!

    Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 08-09-2012 at 08:41 PM.

  8. #38

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    from trusted dealers i am informed that this xeno model does not sell too well. it is a very disappointing sales item so far. the good news is, it was updated to V2, i.e. XENO S3A V2 with a better switch and body knurling.

    check it out, this is an awesome new switch!!


  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    from trusted dealers i am informed that this xeno model does not sell too well. it is a very disappointing sales item so far. the good news is, it was updated to V2, i.e. XENO S3A V2 with a better switch and body knurling.

    check it out, this is an awesome new switch!!

    It's a good light but really solely on the fact they have neutral and warm readily available in a small package.



    ________________
    Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity of this message.

  10. #40
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Thanks for the great review,just bought one 5 mins ago so should get in the week.Cracking deal for £15 so around $24ish ...........

  11. #41

    Default

    Am I the only one that thinks 300 lumens from an XM-L on a 18650 seems mighty unimpressive? I realize it's quite small and heat-syncing would be an issue at really high amperages but surely 500-600 lumens could be squeezed from this easily?

  12. #42

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Thanks for the great review,just bought one 5 mins ago so should get in the week.Cracking deal for £15 so around $24ish ...........
    That is a great price; can I ask where you bought it?

  13. #43
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Someone local(stockport) in UK was selling,said paid £41 but it was to small for his big hands, so offered £15 paypal and done deal

    I liked the review on it,does look a nice little light,ideal for an edc.Having just got a crelant v11a for my inside coat pocket,this one will go in other coat........

    Only advice is keep an eye on bay,i usually am not the one to find a bargain deal,so makes a nice change

  14. #44

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks 300 lumens from an XM-L on a 18650 seems mighty unimpressive? I realize it's quite small and heat-syncing would be an issue at really high amperages but surely 500-600 lumens could be squeezed from this easily?
    It's not all about lumens. Runtime is impressive on this thing. I just got one and fitted it to my bike. More than enough light for the city, and a great wide hotspot and bright spill. I got the warm white and it's only 245 but it looks like a lot of light to me.

    I bought this light because I wanted to use my harvested 18650 batteries in something with a bit of protection as well as not over taxing the batteries in general use. It's just become my new EDC as it is small, quite light and compact for a 18650 light. Plus it clips to the peak of a baseball cap!

  15. #45
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Well received today and what a cracking little flashlight,really is well made and a beautiful design imo.The knurling feels nice to touch,not too aggressive ,love the tail cap design.1st impressions are high quality,well to what i can compare right now to the crelant v11a.Great presentation package and overall great impression.Just tried it out and although not dark its 300lm is more than adequate for me as an edc.
    Few pics



    Next to Crelant



    Love it and even though i got a bargain at £15 if i paid more than double i would not feel hard done by..........

  16. #46

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Well received today and what a cracking little flashlight,really is well made and a beautiful design imo.The knurling feels nice to touch,not too aggressive ,love the tail cap design.1st impressions are high quality,well to what i can compare right now to the crelant v11a.Great presentation package and overall great impression.Just tried it out and although not dark its 300lm is more than adequate for me as an edc.
    Few pics



    Next to Crelant



    Love it and even though i got a bargain at £15 if i paid more than double i would not feel hard done by..........
    Same length as a 1*AA light? That's impressive.

  17. #47
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

    Yes never looked at it that way.......... it is beautifully made,feels nice in the hand and of quality.I compared beams with the Crelant which is rated at 450lm(i have a 14650 in it)and obv the crelant is brighter,noticeable not huge,more of a white beam,the xeno appears a little more yellow or warmer (if thats right wording).This was done against a white wall but did not take a pic ..........Bonus too being 18650 goes without saying a longer run time of 300lm for 2.5hrs(manufacturer stated),i have a 3400mah in so even longer.If you want a compact edc then it should definitely be considered imo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •