Supbeam Light
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Default Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Great Review as always!

But the P-bin is just a gimic. It's same flux as the old SST-90 N-bin.
    Which means P-bin SR-95 has the same flux as the old N-bin in SR-90 2 yrs ago, improvement would have to come from difference in driving current, as the SR-95 reflector is smaller.

Looks like Luminus couldn't produce the real P-bin, so they cheated. At the moment, I can't even find a place that has the P-bin for sale, Only N bin available which is the old M bin 850-1000 range, this really sucks!

2009 Binning: 1000-1200 Lumen = N Bin

2012 Binning: 1000-1200 Lumen = P Bin
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 06-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

WOW! 166,500 lux. A regular white laser.

Well done Selfbuilt. As always. High time to make a contribution to your sight I think, for all your hard work and expertise!

Best regards,
    John C.

Flashaholic

Thanks for the review! Very happy with my de-domed SR90 ... for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    Which means P-bin SR-95 has the same flux as the old N-bin in SR-90 2 yrs ago, improvement would have to come from difference in driving current, as the SR-95 reflector is smaller.
    Interesting, I didn't know they had changed their specs for the binning. That's odd.

In any case, since the SR95 ran a lot brighter overall than my SR90 - for about the same run-time on the same SR90 battery - it is seems clear than the SR95 is using a noticeably higher output bin. I have no data as to what the early SR90s were using, but I rather doubt it was anywhere near an N-bin (even under the old terminology). To put it simply, my data shows the SR95 is up to 45% brighter (at least initially), with only a 5% drop in run-time on the same battery pack. Although we don't know anything about the Vf bins, that magnitude difference suggest a major output bin improvement (i.e. I'd guess my SR95 is at least 2 bin steps away from my early SR90)

That would also be consistent with the reports of much brighter SR90s lately - if they have improved the sourcing of higher output bins for that line (i.e. the same bin as the SR95, or maybe one bin-step down?).

Note that I understand from Olight that they bought up all the "unobtanium" P-bins they could get their hands on from Luminus specifically for the SR95, which may be why you aren't finding them for sale anywhere right now.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 06-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post

That would also be consistent with the reports of much brighter SR90s lately - if they have improved the sourcing of higher output bins for that line (i.e. the same bin as the SR95, or maybe one bin-step down?) ...........

I was always surprised with the 1400 lumens OTF figure of yours for the original SR90.

I don't have a light-meter but ceiling-bounce comparisons between my original SR90 and other lights whose OTF lumens had been reported, suggested that my SR90 was around the 2000 OTF mark.

The dealer who I bought it from did tell me that it was a high performer, however.

This leads me to think that there is quite a large range of outputs for the original SR90 and perhaps your readings fall into those of the lower ones.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    This leads me to think that there is quite a large range of outputs for the original SR90 and perhaps your readings fall into those of the lower ones.
    In my investigation of my originally disappointing SR90 I've come to the conclusion that the output of the SR90 is HIGHLY variable to say the least.

I also see SST-90 brightness variations in the Maelstrom S12. I have experience with about 10 maelstrom S12s. So may be the SST-90 is not as consistent as the XML.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I was always surprised with the 1400 lumens OTF figure of yours for the original SR90.
    I don't have a light-meter but ceiling-bounce comparisons between my original SR90 and other lights whose OTF lumens had been reported, suggested that my SR90 was around the 2000 OTF mark.
    The dealer who I bought it from did tell me that it was a high performer, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I also see SST-90 brightness variations in the Maelstrom S12. I have experience with about 10 maelstrom S12s. So may be the SST-90 is not as consistent as the XML.
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus001 View Post
    In my investigation of my originally disappointing SR90 I've come to the conclusion that the output of the SR90 is HIGHLY variable to say the least.
    Yes, I believe there is a lot variability in SR90 output - and the bin tables provided by ma_sha1 go a long way to explaining why.

To clarify what we are refering to, here is a table showing how my estimate lumens stack up against manufacturer specs for a number of high-output lights. You will note my SR90 is something of an outlier:

I believe this can be easily explained by the wide output range used for SST-90 emitter binning by Luminus. We are all used to Cree bins that typically only differ by a consistent ~7% over each bin range. In constrast, Luminus uses a variable bin range, sometimes exceeding a 20% difference within a given bin.

That's a lot more variability, and means two lights with emitters from the same bin could be as much as 20% different in output. Moreover, the availability of a specific bin is never guaranteed by the light manufacturer - it is quite possible that they have had to use more than one defined output bin over the production run of the SR90. If so, that would translate into potentially up ~40% difference between samples.

You will note that my SR95 is at least 40% brighter overall than my early model SR90. Given that runtime on a common battery is not all that different (see analysis in the main review), that would suggest the output gain has come from use of a higher output bin and not by driving the emitter harder. Given the variability reported for SR90 output, I strongly suspect that two different output bins were used over time.

You could thus expect anywhere between ~1-40% difference between any two SR90 samples. My SR90 is likely just a lower performing member of the lower output bin used.

I've seen a lot of heated correspondence over the years here about the SR90 output. But if two different output bins were used over time in the SR90 (which seems likely), then the entire "controversy" disappears - the magnitude difference we are talking about falls fully within two neighboring bins. It also explains why the SR95 is doing so well - it is likely two full bin steps away from my SR90 (e.g., if my SR95 SST-90 is a P-bin, my SR90 SST-90 is probably a M-bin, while those higher performing SR90 SST-90s are N-bin - all to use to more recent Luminus classification).
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 06-13-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.

Flashaholic

We are all used to Cree bins that typically only differ by a consistent ~7% over each bin range.
    I'm wondering if variations such as this could explain why my TN31 outperforms both my SR90 and TK70 at 15 metres? I got 111k lux compared to 89k lux in your test. I know it's difficult to compare tests but people have questioned not only my overall reading but that it outperforms those other two flashlights.

I'm wondering if variations such as this could explain why my TN31 outperforms both my SR90 and TK70 at 15 metres? I got 111k lux compared to 89k lux in your test. I know it's difficult to compare tests but people have questioned not only my overall reading but that it outperforms those other two flashlights.
    It's possible, but that would still require that your TN31 out-throws your SR90 (mine is the other way around, but not by a huge difference). So your TN31 would have to be brighter than mine, or your SR90 is less bright, or some combination of the above.

In terms of the actual peak intensity measures, I have gone back and re-tested by TN31 on both my standard Cer CT1330B and my more recentV&A VA8050 lux meters. To allow you to compare the SR90/95/95UT table in this review, I measured the TN31 as 93,000 lux @1m (610m beam distance) on my standard Cer and and 117,000 lux @1m (684m beam distance) on the new V&A meter. So the absolute value of your lux meter reading on your TN31 seems reasonable (i.e., within that range). Of course, I have no idea which of my meters is more accurate - for that, I am waiting on my NIST-calibrated Extect to arrive.

Note my Cer lux readings have gone up slightly from what was orginally posted in that TN31 review. That's likely because I didn't quite manage to find the absolute peak intensity in my earlier measure (ANSI FL-1 beam tests involve moving the hotspot around the light meter sensor manually, and recording the absolute maximum obtained). As such, there can be some variation on repeated measures.

Anyway, I will be able to provide more accurate calibrated intensity/distance values once my next NIST-certified lux meter arrives.

Flashaholic

Anyway, I will be able to provide more accurate calibrated intensity/distance values once my next NIST-certified lux meter arrives.

The best way to find out is to increase measuring distance further, lets say measure it at 30 meters ( do not change led focus ) & compare these lights again.

If the TN31 CP drops dramatically, it means 15 meter happen to be your beam crossing point, which gives artificially high cps. if the two numbers agree reasonably well, then they are real for your meter.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Thank you for the review. I am waiting for my Olight SR95 UT to arrive. Only 3 hours to go

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Will the UT version be numbered, if there will be only made 240 of them?
    My number is C055756 on the SR95 UT

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE LED View Post
    So nothing that says for example; 4 of 240 - ??
    Would be nice to know, which of the 240 you have
    “Videre Nec Videri”

So nothing that says for example; 4 of 240 - ??
    Would be nice to know, which of the 240 you have
    There is nothing like that on my unit. I guess they are leaving it open should they wish to produce more in the future. I think it really comes down to the sales figures.

There is nothing like that on my unit. I guess they are leaving it open should they wish to produce more in the future. I think it really comes down to the sales figures.
    Would be a shame if they will, later-on, produce more than 240. Does lose his 'exclusivity' then.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

This thread makes me want to get in and get SR95UT badly since it only 240 available, but just got 7 lights include TK70 this month make me do not want to buy this ASAP.
    What do you guys think? should I or should I wait for more reviews from other buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by VIET PRIDE BULLIES View Post
    This thread makes me want to get in and get SR95UT badly since it only 240 available, but just got 7 lights include TK70 this month make me do not want to buy this ASAP.
    What do you guys think? should I or should I wait for more reviews from other buyer?
    7 lights in one month I say; slow down. First enjoy your TK70, and then look further for other lights.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Default Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Olight factory is closed this week, because of moving there facility.
    My dealer informed me that Olight will ship beginning next week, hope it comes quick. Can't wait for my UT
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Default Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

For what it is worth, my review sample is C055830.

I think this is the point exactly. I have queried this issue with Olight, and have been informed that 240 was selected on the basis of current availability of the emitter. Depending on interest (and future emitter availability), it is always possible that the number produced could increase. I gather they don't have any current plans to, but that could change depending on how well it sells.

Would be a shame if they will, later-on, produce more than 240. Does lose his 'exclusivity' then.
    IF this sell well, there will be more made. They would of put 1 of 240 or what ever on each one.

I should wait to see more review from buyer then

FYI, I have just been informed by Olight that it appears that the SR95UT has been gaining more interest than the SR95. So they are likely to continue to produce the SR95UT.

FYI, I have just been informed by Olight that it appears that the SR95UT has been gaining more interest than the SR95. So they are likely to continue to produce the SR95UT.
    I had a feeling this was going to happen. Most folks that like Olight probably already own a SR90 and might not see a benefit to purchase a SR95. The UT however would complement the owner's SR90.

JD

To bad though, that it won't be a "very special- hard to get" light, anymore. Really hoped they would stick to the 240.
    Of course, Olight has to make money- so in that view I understand it.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

To bad though, that it won't be a "very special- hard to get" light, anymore. Really hoped they would stick to the 240.
    Of course, Olight has to make money- so in that view I understand it.
    while i agree with that, my wallet is thanking the fact that there are prob more coming so it has time to recover from the last bought of lights

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    while i agree with that, my wallet is thanking the fact that there are prob more coming so it has time to recover from the last bought of lights
    So true so true.

Quote Originally Posted by biglights View Post
    So true so true.
    I spent almost a grand in the last 30 days lol
    Yes.... I just said that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    I spent almost a grand in the last 30 days lol
    Only a grand? you must still be a newb j/k

JD