Klarus
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Default Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

interesting spec comparison

sr90 1750lm 126kcd 710m max throw
    sr95 2000lm 129.6kcd 720m max throw
    sr95ut 1050lm 168.1kcd 820m max throw

We don't know for sure of these number until we have selfbuilt tested the SR95UT too. That way we will have a correct set of specs. At the very least relatively correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    interesting spec comparison

sr90 1750lm 126kcd 710m max throw
    sr95 2000lm 129.6kcd 720m max throw
    sr95ut 1050lm 168.1kcd 820m max throw

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    "I bought it more as a proof-of-concept for how leds were starting to encroach in HID territory rather than for a practical light to use."

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I have a 6 yr old 75w HID (Barn Burner) that, to me at least, is more practical to carry than a supersize flashlight style torch, puts out about 8500L and throws almost 1,000,000 lux at 1m (tested by me at 950k+). With a new battery pack it could get about 1:15 runtime. My biggest surprise when using this light for the first time is how compact, lightweight and easy to carry it is.

To put that in perspective, you could stack *8* SR-95s together all aimed at the same target and not out throw a Barn Burner. And it would take 4 of them stacked to equal the total output.

I firmly believe there will be no LED lights built anytime soon (in our lifetime even?) that will equal the performance of a Barn Burner with equal portability. Of course LEDs do have their own advantages.
    The key words I used are starting to encroach which implies "just beginning to compete"
    Comparing the SR90 to a 75W HID is hardly fair since the SR90 consumes nothing like 75W.
    At least compare it to an HID consuming a similar wattage and then remember that I said "just beginning"
    LEDs still have a long way to go but it isn't as long as it used to be when it would have been considered completely ridiculous.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Somehow I have a strong feeling that within my lifetime I will see a led light that matches the level of your barn burner. Audi a8 is already replacing their hid car headlights with LEDs. Luminous already have 6000 lumen led! And plus I am a healthy 26 years old so if nothing goes terribly wrong I hink I do have reasons to believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Somehow I have a strong feeling that within my lifetime I will see a led light that matches the level of your barn burner. Audi a8 is already replacing their hid car headlights with LEDs. Luminous already have 6000 lumen led! And plus I am a healthy 26 years old so if nothing goes terribly wrong I hink I do have reasons to believe so.
    lol im also 26... just looking at how far leds have come in the last 10 years id say this is accurate... in 10 years from now well all probably be reminiscing at how the xml was the go to led for many lights and how it will probably be replaced by the omgbbqsuperbrightinfinitewarriorsword+1 led or something

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    "I bought it more as a proof-of-concept for how leds were starting to encroach in HID territory rather than for a practical light to use."

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I have a 6 yr old 75w HID (Barn Burner) that, to me at least, is more practical to carry than a supersize flashlight style torch, puts out about 8500L and throws almost 1,000,000 lux at 1m (tested by me at 950k+). With a new battery pack it could get about 1:15 runtime. My biggest surprise when using this light for the first time is how compact, lightweight and easy to carry it is.

To put that in perspective, you could stack *8* SR-95s together all aimed at the same target and not out throw a Barn Burner. And it would take 4 of them stacked to equal the total output.

I firmly believe there will be no LED lights built anytime soon (in our lifetime even?) that will equal the performance of a Barn Burner with equal portability. Of course LEDs do have their own advantages.
    Ok Mr Sanders (Stephen)... I think I want my light back now please
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Flashaholic*

Sorry, Dan! However, I do know where another is. PM me if interested.

"The key words I used are starting to encroach which implies "just beginning to compete"
    Comparing the SR90 to a 75W HID is hardly fair since the SR90 consumes nothing like 75W.
    At least compare it to an HID consuming a similar wattage and then remember that I said "just beginning"
    LEDs still have a long way to go but it isn't as long as it used to be when it would have been considered completely ridiculous."

+1
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

so... it is time to sell the sr90 for the sr95!?
    if killing was legal, i would have killed countless number of people...

When is the full production model being released?
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterqw View Post
    so... it is time to sell the sr90 for the sr95!?
    i got mine for about 300 on ebay, so as far as price to output ratio i am going to have fun with my sr90 for the summer until the price drops or maybe i will check out the UT version but it will probably be hard to get

Flashaholic

It turns out I wont need the SR95 after all. As my TN31 pumps out more lux at 1m than my SR90!! I don't know whether to be happy I have a "special" TN31 or sad I only discovered it was special after buying the SR90.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus001 View Post
    It turns out I wont need the SR95 after all. As my TN31 pumps out more lux at 1m than my SR90!! I don't know whether to be happy I have a "special" TN31 or sad I only discovered it was special after buying the SR90.
    I'm really curious - how many lux at 1m does your TN31 generate?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I'm really curious - how many lux at 1m does your TN31 generate?
    111861 calculating back from 6.4 metres. 101171 for sr90. My m3c4, tc40, tm11 are all pretty much in line with selfbuilt's measurements as is the sr90. My tn30 is only 27000 compared to his 40250 though. Tempted to venture outside and try the big 2 at longer but its 140am. I live in a built-up area, and there's no-one to help.

111861 calculating back from 6.4 metres. 101171 for sr90. My m3c4, tc40, tm11 are all pretty much in line with selfbuilt's measurements as is the sr90. My tn30 is only 27000 compared to his 40250 though. Tempted to venture outside and try the big 2 at longer but its 140am. I live in a built-up area, and there's no-one to help.
    Do hope, that the SR95 UT will be brighter (and throw further) than the TN31. TN31 is less expensive, and according Thrunite it throws around 700meters- almost as much as the UT.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

has anyone seen where to preorder the sr95ut? ive only seen going gear taking orders so far

it might be hard to get one of these since they are limited

has anyone seen where to preorder the sr95ut? ive only seen going gear taking orders so far

I pre-ordered the UT, but not at going gear.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Do hope, that the SR95 UT will be brighter (and throw further) than the TN31. TN31 is less expensive, and according Thrunite it throws around 700meters- almost as much as the UT.
    Just did another test at 16 metres and you are definitely getting a good 660 to 670 metres with the tn31. You are paying dearly for the extra 100 metres of the UT. At least the s90 and the sr95 will have a bigger spill and hotspot to justify the weight/cost. Not sure about the UT.

Flashaholic

Battery Junction. $450.

Just did another test at 16 metres and you are definitely getting a good 660 to 670 metres with the tn31. You are paying dearly for the extra 100 metres of the UT. At least the s90 and the sr95 will have a bigger spill and hotspot to justify the weight/cost. Not sure about the UT.
    SR-series always have been (very)expensive. SR95(-UT) is no exception. I only hope, that the numbers Olight claims, are true. And not that Olight says it will throw 820meters, but in-real-life it will only throw 650 or less...
    Hopefully there will come soon, some more pics (or video) of the throw,beam and spill of both SR95 lights. For now, we can only guess how it will look.

Kinda weird. pre-ordering a light, but having no clue about how it throw, how it looks..
    Last edited by kj2; 05-28-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    SR-series always have been (very)expensive. SR95(-UT) is no exception. I only hope, that the numbers Olight claims, are true. And not that Olight says it will throw 820meters, but in-real-life it will only throw 650 or less...
    Hopefully there will come soon, some more pics (or video) of the throw,beam and spill of both SR95 lights. For now, we can only guess how it will look.

Kinda weird. pre-ordering a light, but having no clue about how it throw, how it looks..
    yeah, i am going to wait, even if i have to hunt for a used one in the market place in the future... i just spent 300 on a sr90 to dedome and 80 on a dry 3 xml

Flashaholic*

I love the design of the heat sink!

I'm disappointed that Olight haven't made the light completely waterproof, IPX6 rating

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Of course, you are talking to a guy that still uses a pocket light on a ~80 lumen output mode with a diffuser for walking the dog ...
    Yes, but what light is the dog carrying?

Brightnorm

PS: What of the possibility of a TM11 Tiny Monster-type body (4x18650) for a shorter light with longer runtime, or would that reduce heatsinking ability?

PPS: Excellent review (as usual)
    Last edited by brightnorm; 05-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.

yeah, i am going to wait, even if i have to hunt for a used one in the market place in the future... i just spent 300 on a sr90 to dedome and 80 on a dry 3 xml
    I take my chances. Still have 7days to return it, if I don't like it. -it's a big/expensive gamble, but if it comes out right, I'm one happy dude
    And if de-dome-ing is going wrong, than you are screwed
    Last edited by kj2; 05-28-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Great review....along with every other review you've ever done! I really enjoy your work buddy!

It seems from the pictures that the SR90's reflector finish is nearly immaculate and my own SR90 example mirrors what I'm seeing in your photos. The SR95 reflector (appears) to be a bit more random and not as smooth.

Your thoughts on the surface quality of the reflector vs the SR90?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    It seems from the pictures that the SR90's reflector finish is nearly immaculate and my own SR90 example mirrors what I'm seeing in your photos. The SR95 reflector (appears) to be a bit more random and not as smooth. Your thoughts on the surface quality of the reflector vs the SR90?
    It is definitely different. The SR95 has a slightly "fuzzy" appearance, and this seems uniform across its surface. The effect is subtle though, so your initial reaction to the SR95 reflector would be to say is is "smooth". It is only in comparison to the SR90 that you realize is "less smooth".

It is definitely not traditional orange-peel texturing. If anything, it may be a very fine set of concentric rings - hard to say. I guess we'll have to wait until others get theres and compare.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Jetbeam RRT26.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Just a quick update to say I hope to do outdoor beamshots within a week or so. I have a few other high output lights en route to me, and will head out to my usual location once they all arrive.

Stay tuned!
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Jetbeam RRT26.

and what other goodies might you have enroute?!

and what other goodies might you have enroute?!
    I don’t normally discuss it ahead of time (in case there are issues/delays, etc.). Plus I don’t want to be busy fielding tons of PMs instead of actually working on the reviews, lol.

But in this case, the manufacturers have already let it be known for a few lights. I will be working on the Spark SL6 and Crelant 7G9 and 7G5-V2 collimator head. Also another unannounced high output light from another manufacturer ...

Just when i thought i was paying off my credit card lol

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    I don’t normally discuss it ahead of time (in case there are issues/delays, etc.). Plus I don’t want to be busy fielding tons of PMs instead of actually working on the reviews, lol.

But in this case, the manufacturers have already let it be known for a few lights. I will be working on the Spark SL6 and Crelant 7G9 and 7G5-V2 collimator head. Also another unannounced high output light from another manufacturer ...
    Hope you let us soon know, what it is
    Would like to have that- "inside" info from a manufacturer before the consumer knows -playing with lights, that aren't on the market yet.
    “Videre Nec Videri”